RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Michelin tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 07:58 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Michelin tires?

Thinking about changing those crappy Dunlops tires for Michelins, but question is, is it worth it?
Attached Thumbnails New Michelin tires?-latitude-tour-hp.jpg  
Old 12-14-09, 08:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by deusex
Thinking about changing those crappy Dunlops tires for Michelins, but question is, is it worth it?
The Michelin latitude is a replacement design for Michelin Cross Terrains, although it quieter and smoother than Cross Terrains, it will not performance as well in the snow. It all depends on what you look for in a tire. Both Michelin tires are better than those Dunlop Grandtrash.
Old 12-14-09, 07:29 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats so bad about the Dunlops? Personally, I'd change over to the Yokohama Parada Spec X, seems like a good tread design for that'll handle rain and snow well. My past experience with Yoko's has been great, but can't say on the RX itself or this specific tire. Also, it may end up being noiser due to the larger tread gapping...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModel=RX 450h&autoModClar=AWD

The Michelin based on spec don't seem very different other then the fact it has a longer tread life. But I wouldn't expect night and day diff between the Mich and Dunlops.
Old 12-14-09, 09:00 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm waiting for snow to start, as I am highly skeptical Bridgestone Duelers that came with my RX will last through the winter driving. Yoko's are my top pick for replacement. I had Yoko Geolandar G052s as replacement for Michellin CTs and they were great all season tires. My second choice is Toyo Open Country H/T, but the size 235/55/18 is hard to come by. Third option is Hankook Ventus AS RH07.

Old 12-15-09, 02:18 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Whats so bad about the Dunlops?

Michelins have quite and soft ride in comparison to dunlops.
Old 12-15-09, 03:10 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires

Whats so bad about the Dunlops?

Michelins have quite and soft ride in comparison to dunlops.

Don't believe that the Michelins are any more quiet than my Dunlops
I believe that my Dunlops are the quietest and smoothest of any Michelin I have had in the past.
Old 12-15-09, 04:22 PM
DNC
Advanced

I am a big fan of Michelin tires too, having eleven vehicles for job and personal use. After thirty years of experimenting with other tires, in all price ranges, Michelin makes the tires that best fit "my" needs. I would not walk across the street for a free set of another brand.
When we made the deal on our new RX it was for Michelin tires. When I have driven a loaner with others tires I am reminded why. Having said that, we all must buy what is right for us, for me it's Michelin.
Old 12-15-09, 06:02 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Smile In response to:

"I am a big fan of Michelin tires too, having eleven vehicles for job and personal use. After thirty years of experimenting with other tires, in all price ranges, Michelin makes the tires that best fit "my" needs. I would not walk across the street for a free set of another brand.
When we made the deal on our new RX it was for Michelin tires. When I have driven a loaner with others tires I am reminded why. Having said that, we all must buy what is right for us, for me it's Michelin."

I have Michelins on my Porsche Carrera, Ford Sport, BMW, etc so I speak with some experience and I am a Michelin fan, but these new Dunlops that came with our 2010 Rx350 are as good as any Michelin I have used. So if you have not experienced these new model tires from Dunlop, you can't coment with any real knowledge. Enough said.
Old 12-15-09, 06:50 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by rftuck
I have Michelins on my Porsche Carrera, Ford Sport, BMW, etc so I speak with some experience and I am a Michelin fan, but these new Dunlops that came with our 2010 Rx350 are as good as any Michelin I have used. So if you have not experienced these new model tires from Dunlop, you can't coment with any real knowledge. Enough said.
I have experienced them. You can have them. You and I obviously have different needs and expectations of tires. Enjoy your Dunlops.

Last edited by DNC; 12-15-09 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 09:05 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had 3 RX's all came equipped with Michelin tires and all were sourced from the plant in Cambridge ON. All rode smooth with great traction and my 2008 RX had 70,000 km on it when I sold it with original tires. My 2010, was Japan sourced and like almost all Japanese sourced RX's it arrived with those horrible riding Dunlop tires. I asked the dealer to switch them from another new RX - Canadian sourced before delivery and Lexus Canada supposedly told him not to do so - that they were special tires for the Ultra premium--horsefeathers! Those Dunlop tires are on every Japanese built RX except the hybrid -which interestingly enough gets Michelins. The Dunlops ride very firm--and they feel as firmly planted as Jello --every pothole the SUV just falls into and the passengers get a good jolt--very un-Lexus like. I have used them in the light snow that we have had here so far and they have been only ok. I am a firm believer that Michelin tires provide a great, smooth ride and superb wet traction. It seems Lexus has abandoned its principles. I too have though of swapping them out for Michelins. Tirerack in the USA had them on sale last month for $150 each -a great price compared to the $305. CDN per tire here. I hate those f-ing Dunlops!!!
Old 12-15-09, 09:58 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
I have had 3 RX's all came equipped with Michelin tires and all were sourced from the plant in Cambridge ON. All rode smooth with great traction and my 2008 RX had 70,000 km on it when I sold it with original tires. My 2010, was Japan sourced and like almost all Japanese sourced RX's it arrived with those horrible riding Dunlop tires. I asked the dealer to switch them from another new RX - Canadian sourced before delivery and Lexus Canada supposedly told him not to do so - that they were special tires for the Ultra premium--horsefeathers! Those Dunlop tires are on every Japanese built RX except the hybrid -which interestingly enough gets Michelins. The Dunlops ride very firm--and they feel as firmly planted as Jello --every pothole the SUV just falls into and the passengers get a good jolt--very un-Lexus like. I have used them in the light snow that we have had here so far and they have been only ok. I am a firm believer that Michelin tires provide a great, smooth ride and superb wet traction. It seems Lexus has abandoned its principles. I too have though of swapping them out for Michelins. Tirerack in the USA had them on sale last month for $150 each -a great price compared to the $305. CDN per tire here. I hate those f-ing Dunlops!!!
70,000km in one year. You do alot of driving!

Last edited by GSLEX; 12-15-09 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 12:18 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dentate
Those Dunlop tires are on every Japanese built RX except the hybrid -which interestingly enough gets Michelins.
Incorrect... I have a JTJ with Bridgestones manuf in 8/09. My mother was visiting, took my car out to run an errand and bought exact same car (same options, JTJ build in 9/09). Her RX has the Dunlops.
Old 12-16-09, 06:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rftuck
I had Dunlops in two of my pass Lexus and they were both terrible, the Grandtrek was on my GX470. They are very harsh, road noise is ok, but below average in the snow. When I switch over to Cross Terrains, I felt an improvement in all 3 of those areas.
Old 12-16-09, 12:08 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Just did some research, those Yokohamas look really promising. But before purchase I will wait for some reviews in those Dunlops.

YOKOHAMA PRADA SPEC-X:
Attached Thumbnails New Michelin tires?-yokohama-prada-spec-x.jpg  
Old 12-16-09, 12:49 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by deusex
Just did some research, those Yokohamas look really promising. But before purchase I will wait for some reviews in those Dunlops.

YOKOHAMA PRADA SPEC-X:
Those seems like nice tires and got most good revirews, are they cheaper in price compare to the Michelin?

Quick Reply: New Michelin tires?