RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

My Car Ate My Cell Phone !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 06:47 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Car Ate My Cell Phone !!!

Maybe not ate but it took my cell phone and will not return it back! Lol.

I placed my cell phone in the center console. I know its really a cup holder but I put the phone in there anyway. The cell phone slided and fell on that small space on the left edge. There is a small space in there. I can not open the cover and I can not extricate the cell phone. I have to take it in.

The Lexus service said they have to remove the entire center console assembly to get to the cell phone. They charged me $50. Isn't this a design flaw? The service manager told me that he got a phone call yesterday from a lady who lost her ring in the same spot and have to take the car in also.

Be careful about that space.
Old 11-11-09, 07:50 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that stinks!

I dropped something under the passenger seat this past weekend and had a heck of a time reaching under the seat to get it dislodged from the little trough on the side of the seat track up against the console.

Can you post a pic of what happened to your phone so we can see that space please?

Thanks and good luck!

Jay
Old 11-11-09, 08:15 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Wow that stinks!

I dropped something under the passenger seat this past weekend and had a heck of a time reaching under the seat to get it dislodged from the little trough on the side of the seat track up against the console.

Can you post a pic of what happened to your phone so we can see that space please?

Thanks and good luck!

Jay
Here is some pictures.

In the first picture, if you have anything laying on the console cover and you happen to open it, the object will fall into that small space. But that is not what happen to me. Its in the second picture. I laid down the cell phone on top of the cup holder and close the lid. The cell phone slided a bit towards the left edge. When I open the cover, the cell phone slided all the way to the small space.

The second picture shows where the small space is. If the lid is open, the space is almost hidden by the edge of the cover.
Attached Thumbnails My Car Ate My Cell Phone !!!-lexus_console_1.jpg   My Car Ate My Cell Phone !!!-lexus_console_2.jpg  
Old 11-11-09, 09:30 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good heavens! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-11-09, 10:46 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost lost my ID last month. Luckily, I held the cover and clipped it before it fell into the hole completely.
Old 11-12-09, 05:06 AM
iewiew
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good gosh, what next? Mr. Toyota fix this car!!!!
Old 11-12-09, 05:23 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iewiew
Good gosh, what next? Mr. Toyota fix this car!!!!
I will try to get a thick cardboard or piece of wood that I can lodge into that space to prevent any object from falling through. The cardboard or wood must be cut to cover the entire length but allow the center console cover to open and close.
Old 11-12-09, 01:14 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
I will try to get a thick cardboard or piece of wood that I can lodge into that space to prevent any object from falling through. The cardboard or wood must be cut to cover the entire length but allow the center console cover to open and close.
Im pretty sure this will prevent you from opening/closing the cup holder. This space is needed for the lid to retract into ...
Old 11-12-09, 08:07 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, ok before everyone panics and crucifies Lexus - this is actually a common problem in a number of cars. It's a design flaw in the type of setup they use. You can have the hinged door like we have on the 2010 RX but you need space for the door to move. That space is going to create opportunities for lost items. The fix would be to make it easier to get to those items should they fall down there.

The other options are those ugly sliding covers that look like millipedes. I'd rather have our setup. Now, I'm sure I'll change my mind when I drop something down there but I think it's more of a tradeoff of looks vs. the small chance that something will get lost down there.

It sure would be nice if the owner could simply lift out the cup holder and get to that space ourselves though. I live an hour away and to drive and then have to pay would tick me off. I've had it happen before in other cars though so . . .

Just my $.02.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 11-17-09, 02:42 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What about a magnet on a thin rod

or a thin stick with sone kind of sticky stuff to get the item out?
Old 11-17-09, 07:33 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rftuck
or a thin stick with sone kind of sticky stuff to get the item out?
The problem is the opening gets smaller as you open the lid. With cell phone I tried to fish it out with a piece of wire. I can get it to move up but the opening gets smaller. However it may be possible to fish it from the outside if you lost a ring for example.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 11-17-09 at 07:38 PM.