RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Volume Very Low - Fixed Today!!!

Old 11-03-09, 10:50 PM
blaguiarjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Navigation Volume Very Low - Amplifier Replaced!!!

I picked up my RX350 with Mark Levinson & Navigation System in June of this year. One of the first things that troubled me was the Nav Volume was very low, even on #7 (max) volume. With the radio set at a normal volume level, you can barely hear the Nav System. Level #7 was the equivalent of a Level #3 on my 05 RX330. Another issue was when the Nav System was “speaking” the radio volume did not reduce as it did on my RX330. I immediately contacted the dealer on the problem. I was told this model is too new and no one knows much about the current Nav System. They will look into the problem and get back with me. I spoke with my dealer again in July and was told the service manager called Lexus and was told they are aware of the problem but there currently is no fix. In August Lexus customer support called and verified they are currently working on a fix. I should be contacted by my dealer within a couple of months. A few days ago I received a call from my dealer and was told they finally have a fix. Today, the dealer installed a new amplifier which Lexus claims to be 2 to 3 times louder than my current amplifier. The volume is now very acceptable. Lexus did not address the radio volume level reducing when the Nav System is “speaking”. I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Last edited by blaguiarjr; 11-04-09 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Removed "Today" - No Longer Applicable
Old 11-03-09, 11:42 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blaguiarjr
I picked up my RX350 with Mark Levinson & Navigation System in June of this year. One of the first things that troubled me was the Nav Volume was very low, even on #7 (max) volume. With the radio set at a normal volume level, you can barely hear the Nav System. Level #7 was the equivalent of a Level #3 on my 05 RX330. Another issue was when the Nav System was “speaking” the radio volume did not reduce as it did on my RX330. I immediately contacted the dealer on the problem. I was told this model is too new and no one knows much about the current Nav System. They will look into the problem and get back with me. I spoke with my dealer again in July and was told the service manager called Lexus and was told they are aware of the problem but there currently is no fix. In August Lexus customer support called and verified they are currently working on a fix. I should be contacted by my dealer within a couple of months. A few days ago I received a call from my dealer and was told they finally have a fix. Today, the dealer installed a new amplifier which Lexus claims to be 2 to 3 times louder than my current amplifier. The volume is now very acceptable. Lexus did not address the radio volume level reducing when the Nav System is “speaking”. I hope this helps others with the same problem.
Very interesting. This 'fix' from Lexus - is it an official TSB, or an isolated giveback to a customer who complained?

Seems like a lousy fix, but hey - a new amplifier is better than... no new amplifier. So, now you hear both Navi and Radio on the same level?
Old 11-04-09, 04:19 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, glad they 'fixed' that for you but this sounds more like a fix for the symptom not the problem.

And that does NOT bode well for all of us hoping for a software update to fix some of the iPod and audio integration issues. I think it's telling that Lexus would rather install a louder amplifier than fix an obvious software development gaffe.

Again, if that solution works for you I am very happy that you are happy. Please don't misinterpret this post as commenting on you personally at all. Again, it solved your problem in a way that is acceptable to you and I think that is great.

I'm just looking at the horizon and, although this isn't an absolute - it sure doesn't feel like Lexus is going to focus on reprogramming their system to fix these items - which one would think would be a better option (i.e. having the volume adjust when getting directions like on the previous RX). I really wish they would give an option that the user could select for this and then you could pick which way you prefer it. Some people don't like the volume of the music cutting out and might prefer the louder amplifier instead of having the music cut out.

I'll bet if you look at Lexus' marketing research they probably got complaints from a bunch of people that didn't like the music cutting out so they redesigned the system for that. Again, a better option is to give us the choice!

At any rate - hopefully this isn't a signal that we shouldnt' expect any future software updates . I would think that the system is integrated enough that the volume control would still be a software fix since it was available on previous cars but one never knows.

Sky isn't falling but I was very hopeful about some software updates and this makes me a little less hopeful . . .

Fingers crossed!!

(and I'm still glad you're happy with the fix!! That's the most important thing for you )

Jay
Old 11-04-09, 07:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow that was a quick fix, I am glad Lexus is right on the ball with this one. Maybe the software update is next.
Old 11-04-09, 07:16 AM
janicekb
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone gotten any info to fix the Bluetooth problem in pairing with my IPHONE. I can hear the caller but they cannot understand me. Say it sounds like I'm "underwater" of just cutting out. Absolutely no help from the dealer. Any info, anyone?
Old 11-04-09, 11:30 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

do they removed the "adpative volume" button from the old nav?
Old 11-04-09, 06:52 PM
blaguiarjr
Driver School Candidate

The dealer did not inform me if there is an official TSB on the nav problem. The new louder amplifier is a production change and will be showing up in all new builds. This is most likely to address the complaints received and prevent future complaints. I agree installing a louder amplifier fixed the symptom and did not address the real problem. According to the dealer, this is the "fix" and they are not aware of any nav system software updates. Replacing the amplifier was probably the fastest solution to atleast fix part of the nav volume problem.

Lexus should have kept the “adaptive volume” option along with the music volume reducing when the nav system is giving directions. For those that may not like the music reduced, an option should be available in setup mode. For this model year Lexus did include an automatic sound level (ASL) option that does not appear to work well. The dealer acknowledged he has been getting complaints. He claims it is working, but it is barely noticeable.
Old 12-08-09, 02:39 PM
kslater
Driver

Default 2010 IS250 nav volume prob

I just purhased a 2010 Is250 and i have the same prob with the nav volume. The dealer said it is working as designed and I have been arguing with Lexus customer service. They are stating that they cannot modify or alter the car since the dealer says its working as designed. It is annoying and I wouldnt have bought this car If I knew about this. I dont know where to go from here because the dealer says it works as designed and lexus customer service is telling me they stand by the dealer. I am the customer, where do I fit in? My mercedes didnt have and issue and neither does BMW and Audi because I have checked those out and planning on getting rid of this car if it cannot be fixed. Yeah it will b a huge loss but you live andyou learn..

Kenny Slater