RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 11:56 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
same here. bennett toyota told me they will flush the trans as well.
Wow, that's funny!

Yep, that's where I'll be taking my (dads) RX and ES. I've had them flush (aka "complete fluid exchange") on my 05 4Runner and couldn't be happier.

So yeah, Lexus of Lehigh Valley won't service the transmissions which is complete nonsense. BUT, if they don't have the machine, what am I supposed to do? Bad on them (Lexus of LV).

Last edited by CookieRoe; 04-05-16 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 10:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CookieRoe
Wow, that's funny!

Yep, that's where I'll be taking my (dads) RX and ES. I've had them flush (aka "complete fluid exchange") on my 05 4Runner and couldn't be happier.

So yeah, Lexus of Lehigh Valley won't service the transmissions which is complete nonsense. BUT, if they don't have the machine, what am I supposed to do? Bad on them (Lexus of LV).
Really? Cool ! good to know Honestly, I dont care for LOLV`s service department. I have been going to Thompson Lexus for 7 years. And so that is where I take my RX.
Old 04-07-16, 12:46 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Really? Cool ! good to know Honestly, I dont care for LOLV`s service department. I have been going to Thompson Lexus for 7 years. And so that is where I take my RX.
Thompson is a hike for me. I live practically next to Lexus of Chester Springs but I don't care for them. Lexus of LV is ok, you have to get connected to the right person in service, but yes, they used to be better.
Old 04-07-16, 01:11 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Thompson is a hike for me. I live practically next to Lexus of Chester Springs but I don't care for them. Lexus of LV is ok, you have to get connected to the right person in service, but yes, they used to be better.
well, if your serious about lolv. i recommend diana miexsell. my sales person at lolv was great. service, its ok. my next lexus will be from thompson. the only reason i didnt get it from them this time. was because the sales woman would not drive it up to me. but that has since been resolved.
Old 04-08-16, 10:22 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

well, if your serious about lolv. i recommend diana miexsell. my sales person at lolv was great. service, its ok. my next lexus will be from thompson. the only reason i didnt get it from them this time. was because the sales woman would not drive it up to me. but that has since been resolved.
Completely agree, she is awesome!

I go to LV b/c it's 15 drive from work and I can usually get a loaner (this is how I drove the NX, various ES's and IS's). Fond memories of Thompson, it's where we went to test drive the LS400 back in 1990. I could still see/hear/smell that car. Anyway, I still feel terrible when my mom traded in her 91 LS several years ago.
Old 05-09-16, 09:15 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Just got back from having the ATF "complete fluid exchange". Vehicle seems to shift "crispier" if that makes any sense.

Got it done at Bennett Toyota in Allentown, PA As I mentioned before, Lexus of Lehigh Valley wouldn't do it b/c "Lexus does no recommend servicing the transmission as it is a sealed unit". Someone over there needs to be slapped around. Seriously considering calling USA Lexus about this. Why some dealers offer to do this and other don't???
Old 05-09-16, 09:24 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Just got back from having the ATF "complete fluid exchange". Vehicle seems to shift "crispier" if that makes any sense.

Got it done at Bennett Toyota in Allentown, PA As I mentioned before, Lexus of Lehigh Valley wouldn't do it b/c "Lexus does no recommend servicing the transmission as it is a sealed unit". Someone over there needs to be slapped around. Seriously considering calling USA Lexus about this. Why some dealers offer to do this and other don't???
thats great man! how long did it take them to do it? how many miles are on your rx?
Old 05-09-16, 10:13 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

If you ever go to that Lexus dealer again you could point out how much money they could make selling transmission fluid exchanges that is now going to the Toyota dealer. I bet the ATF exchange machine would pay for itself many times over the first year. They cannot be that expensive if almost every Jiffy Lube and Midas has one.

Of course with Lexus and Toyota a large part of the cost is the overly (and unneccesarily) complicated fluid measurement system designed by their evil engineers/accountants to make sure only the dealer could do this, thus insuring a steady income stream to them.

Lexus/Toyota say they really do not want you to service it because it is a marketing thing, thus lowering advertised maintenance costs. Most if not all will last beyond any warranty without any such maintenance on the transmission, although shift quality may deteriorate some, most will not notice.
Old 05-09-16, 11:49 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

thats great man! how long did it take them to do it? how many miles are on your rx?
Sorry, forgot to mention: Our rig has 64,500 miles on her. It took about 1.5 hours, I sat in the waiting room enjoying my vanilla latte and free WiFi. Bill was $307.40. A bargain if you ask me. Gotta love Toyota. Oh, and they even washed her for me.

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If you ever go to that Lexus dealer again you could point out how much money they could make selling transmission fluid exchanges that is now going to the Toyota dealer. I bet the ATF exchange machine would pay for itself many times over the first year. They cannot be that expensive if almost every Jiffy Lube and Midas has one.

Of course with Lexus and Toyota a large part of the cost is the overly (and unneccesarily) complicated fluid measurement system designed by their evil engineers/accountants to make sure only the dealer could do this, thus insuring a steady income stream to them.

Lexus/Toyota say they really do not want you to service it because it is a marketing thing, thus lowering advertised maintenance costs. Most if not all will last beyond any warranty without any such maintenance on the transmission, although shift quality may deteriorate some, most will not notice.
We keep our cars until they fall apart. Our 1991 LS400 had to meet it fate with the Cash For Clunkers program because the tranny was failing and other small (but added up) items. CFC was in 2009?? I'm convinced if that LS was properly maintained, it would still be on the road today. We also had a 2001 RX300. That went to crap b/c my father didn't want to invest in maintaining it. As some of us know, the trannies in the 1st gens RX were garbage. Anyway, that RX crawled its way to approximately 125K miles until the day it was traded on the present RX. I promised my father I would do the upkeep for his cars, but he has to "listen to me". I'm too good of a son, LOL............................. URghhhhh.

So yes, I just got back from doing some office errands and the car does shift better (sharper, but not harsh). They have a 08 ES350 with 44K on the clock, I'm thinking of getting that ATF changed this summer, but am having seconds thoughts as we don't use that car very often.
Old 05-16-16, 11:11 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

any particular reason you guys want a complete flush vs a drain and fill? im at 20k thinking about doing a drain and fill at 30k. in the past ive just drained and filled all of my vehicles ATF without any issue.
Also is there a part number out there for this fluid?
Old 05-16-16, 11:41 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

I did a drain and fill on my RX and because of the quirks draining this transmission, go to page 4 of this thread as it provides instructions, you should read them the first time. Look at the Mini Cooper PDF I posted as it has almost the same transmission and the same drain and fill procedure. Except the RX is much easier to get to the fill hole. It takes Toyota WS (for World Standard) Automatic Transmission Fluid. However, it is over priced and not synthetic. I instead used Mag One Low Viscosity Full Synthetic ATF. Available at Amazon. http://www.mag1.com/productdetails.a...a-55f0b5c590fe It has had great reviews at www.bobistheoilguy.com where I learned about it.

I also read that Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF works well as a WS substitute and is synthetic. The LV stands for low viscosity which is what you need as WS is low viscosity. http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...5uem9pbC8wMQ==

I initially did 2 drain at fills at about 34,000 miles then another one a few months later when I changed the oil. I think it shifts better now. I plan to do a drain and fill at every oil change, which is about once a year for the low miles I put on it.

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-16-16 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 08:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

greeknasty^^^^ because a drain and fill on these box`s only gets out about 2 qts. and i have no idea why? my other two rx`s (2001 & 2005) i got out 4+ qts on drain and fills.

Last edited by lexus114; 05-18-16 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 06:53 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

because a drain and fill on these box`s only gets out about 2 qts. and i have no idea why? my other two rx`s (2001 & 2005) i got out 4+ qts on drain and fills.
These have sealed trannies, unlike your older ones. Sealed trannies you can only get a couple quarts out through the pan which you'll have to do a couple more times over time to get most of the old stuff out, or through a fluid exchange machine.
Old 05-18-16, 10:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zmon
These have sealed trannies, unlike your older ones. Sealed trannies you can only get a couple quarts out through the pan which you'll have to do a couple more times over time to get most of the old stuff out, or through a fluid exchange machine.
i c. well this is why i am going to do a complete flush @ 30k.
Old 05-18-16, 08:49 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by greeknasty
any particular reason you guys want a complete flush vs a drain and fill? im at 20k thinking about doing a drain and fill at 30k. in the past ive just drained and filled all of my vehicles ATF without any issue.
Also is there a part number out there for this fluid?
AT that mileage, I wouldn't worry about it. At about 50-60K miles, I would look into it. Part # 00289-ATFWS-4 (I think). This is for the WS fluid, not the Type T-IV (which are NOT interchangeable)

Originally Posted by Clutchless
However, it is over priced and not synthetic.
So? Toyota/Lexus trannies call for WS and from the millions of thread I've encountered over the years, there isn't a definitive substitute for WS ATF. I would play it safe and still with the Toyota/Lexus WS ATF.

Originally Posted by Zmon
or by disconnecting the cooling lines (in and out). Doing it this is pretty much ensure ALL the old fluid is out, this is done by observing the "outgoing flow" and if it's bright red. If so, you are done.

Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)