RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 05:13 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that most Lexus nowadays, and even most newer Toyotas, have these 'sealed' type of transmissions that do not require the transmission fluid to be changed at all. You should check in your owner's manual; if the ATF needs to be changed, it will state when and it might even state how. If you go beyond what your owner's manual says to do, you're just wasting time and money.
Old 10-28-09, 07:17 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I believe that most Lexus nowadays, and even most newer Toyotas, have these 'sealed' type of transmissions that do not require the transmission fluid to be changed at all. You should check in your owner's manual; if the ATF needs to be changed, it will state when and it might even state how. If you go beyond what your owner's manual says to do, you're just wasting time and money.
I believe you are right. I read the owner's manual and search for any info on the transmission. There is none. There is also nothing in the maintenance schedule about changing the tranny oil and filter. This means it should last for the life of the car.

Howeve for those who really wants to know what I suggest is this. Get a sample of the tranny fluid by draining a little bit from the tranny drain plug. Take it to a transmission lab who will analyse the spent oil. It will tell you the state of your fluid and also tell you if it needs to be replace.

Replacing the fluid is not difficult. There should be a fill plug by the side of the tranny housing. I have done this on my other cars and its not difficult. Just make sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain.
Old 10-28-09, 07:23 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
I'm sorry but you are all over the lot on this subject. You start out admitting it's a sealed system and then ask for DIY instructions on changing the fluid, next you have come up with instructions for an RX330, then you say you don't follow manufacturer's instructions by changing it hot, and then you had a conversation with a Honda tech. You list in your posting you have a 2008 RX. If you don't have a 2010 RX you are even on the wrong forum.
Just go ahead and change your car's transmission fluid. That's what you want to do. You don't want our advice; you want a debate. I'm sure that Honda "tech", who you probably talked to for 5 minutes, knows more than any of us about a Lexus transmissions.
I noticed too that he is talking about a transmmision dipstick. There is no dipstick on the 2010. The 2008 probably has one as he mentioned.
Old 10-28-09, 07:24 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

If you really want to change your transmission fuild I'm fairly certain that you can but like I said, anything beyond what the owner's manual recommends is just throwing your money away. Might as well just give it to me. Doing more certainly will not hurt but I fail to see how much more longevity you can get from your vehicle by going above and beyond what Lexus recommends.
Old 10-29-09, 10:44 AM
gtiguy915
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a 2010 rx dont bother. You'd have to fill from the bottom while having it hooked up to a scan tool to read the temp of the trans fluid to make sure you have the right amount of fluid in it. Its ws lifetime fluid that you dont have to change. It isn't really a DIY. Bring it to the dealer if ya really want it changed!
The following users liked this post:
CoRx450h (06-13-21)
Old 10-09-10, 07:44 AM
Waterboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Changing 10' RX 350 Trans Fluid

I have been following the 'discussions' on DIY Transmission Fluid Changes on the 2010 RX 350. Having worked as a wanna be mechanic while I worked my way through college (a very long time ago...think clean GM 350 V8s) I feel like a am somewhat mechanically inclined. The contamination discussion concerns me as does the unanswered question as to opening the tranny to the atmosphere. Is there a problem here? I don't see one but presently Toyota sees fit to have a totally closed system on the 2010 RX 350 tranny. What is the replacement volume for this transmission? What is the best possible Tranny fluid to use? What is the metric size of the allen wrench for removing the drain plug on the resovoir?

What do I hear on cold start up that sounds like a valve tapping/rod knocking? It does go away when the engine is warm but it concerns me.

I am interested in improving my gas mileage. Has anyone found a free flow muffler system that offers improved mpg and performance?

Thanks, Scott C.
Old 10-09-10, 06:51 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Let me emphasize something about this thread. The tranny oil does not need to be replaced forever. However we can not prevent owners from doing what they want to do. After all its your car. If you ever want to change the tranny oil, even before you try to drain it, first look for the fill hole bolt. In most manually cars, it is located on top of the transmission case. It looks like a hex bolt. If you can not find it, stop there and you are all done. Dont touch your tranny. If you find it, see if you can loosen it. If you can not, stop there and you are all done.This is the only way you can replace your tranny oil and if you can not get it off, then, never never drain your tranny oil.
Old 09-09-12, 06:51 AM
Zimor
Driver School Candidate

Greetings guys and gals. Just came back to Lexus from BMW X5 with 90k + miles, 10 years. My wife owns a 328i 5+ years. I had a lEXUS es300 before I went to the darkside and never changed the trany oil and had no problems for 160k miles. Howevere, that said, dont believe these auto manuf that they have lifetime oil - lifetime is NOT you owning the car, its the life of the trany, and that could be 60, 70 or even 100k miles. I changed the trany and filters, diff and transfer case oils on my X5 and my 328i after 60k. I take a sample and send to Blackstone Labs for analysis (25$). Both analysis showed wear but the oil is holding up. A new trany is 5k$ plus, oil and filter are cheap. Contamination is a concern but if you use nonlint towels and new trany oil pump with hoses you will be ok. Very important to measue oil coming out and put same going in. Chaging oil is messy, so, use non latex oil and keep the car flat but safely on stands - dont use hydraulic jacks! I am an engineer and not a mechanic and never changed trany oil in cars until recently, and was easy.
Old 09-09-12, 07:20 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

I have experience with 2 VWs with over 200, 000 km. They both had sealed tranny's. Considering vw reliability is spotty. Both trannys went over160000km before I had drain and fill which only would Change approximately 40% of the fluid. The mechanic would take the car out for a quick spin and do another drain and fill (no dipstick btw) Both trannys are running perfectly. I think you should do the change at approximately 100k miles.

Originally Posted by Zimor
Greetings

guys and gals. Just came back to Lexus from BMW X5 with 90k + miles, 10 years. My wife owns a 328i 5+ years. I had a lEXUS es300 before I went to the darkside and never changed the trany oil and had no problems for 160k miles. Howevere, that said, dont believe these auto manuf that they have lifetime oil - lifetime is NOT you owning the car, its the life of the trany, and that could be 60, 70 or even 100k miles. I changed the trany and filters, diff and transfer case oils on my X5 and my 328i after 60k. I take a sample and send to Blackstone Labs for analysis (25$). Both analysis showed wear but the oil is holding up. A new trany is 5k$ plus, oil and filter are cheap. Contamination is a concern but if you use nonlint towels and new trany oil pump with hoses you will be ok. Very important to measue oil coming out and put same going in. Chaging oil is messy, so, use non latex oil and keep the car flat but safely on stands - dont use hydraulic jacks! I am an engineer and not a mechanic and never changed trany oil in cars until recently, and was easy.
Old 09-09-12, 11:38 AM
redog
Driver School Candidate

You all have forgotten about the torque converter! DYI'ers can't drain that device, it must be done by the dealer.
Old 09-09-12, 04:01 PM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There was the same debate about so called "lifetime" tranmission oil on the audi

boards such as AudiWorld and Quattroworld with comments pro and con against changing the trans fluid. I had my allroad trans fluid, filter changed and magnet cleaned of metal shavings at 60K miles. The ofluid was nearly worn out according to lab analysis, had some water contamination, the filter was filthy, and the magnet was covered in metal shavings from normal trans wear. I see on various sites there is a filter and magnet in the RX350 trans as well. Quiet a few of the Audi owners that never changed their fluid found their transmissions lost reverse gear or experienced shifting problems at about 90-100K miles. Changing the fluid and filter fixed the problem for most but some owners had more expensive trans problems that required complete $4000-5000 trans replacement as a result of believing in "lifetime trans fluid".

Last edited by MachineMan; 09-09-12 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-09-12, 05:37 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a FYI on another brand; Cadillac SRX transmissions are sealed and are not to be serviced until 150,000 miles and it takes jacking the whole back of the vehicle up to do it or dropping it out of the car!!!!!!
Old 10-15-14, 08:34 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
I have a 2010 RX 350. I look and look but I can not find the tranny dipstick. I believe it does not have any. I have a car without the tranny dipstick and to change the tranny oil, this is what I do.

First drain the tranny oil by removing the drain plug. Around the top but on the side of the transmission housing is a fill plug. Its usually a hex bolt. Sometimes this bolt is hard to remove. You may have to use a breaker bar or a torque wrench. This is the hole to use to put the tranny oil. The problem is you can not just pour it from the car because the hole is too small, its on the side and there is no space for the can.

To fill, get a 3-ft long plastic tubing that will fit the fill hole. At the other end, tape a funnel. I use duct tape. Starting from the engine compartment, snake the plastic tubing down into the fill hole and insert it in. Now you are ready to fill. Fill it until the transmission oil just comes out of the plug hole. When it does, you are done. Clean up the mess and bolt everything back. Save the tubing for next time.

do you fill with the engine running, or off?
Old 10-15-14, 10:46 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

My experience is with 2 VWs . Both changed at around 140k kms. They are going past 240k now. I wouldn't rush to drain and flush it.

[QUOTE QUOTE=lexus114;8750499]do you fill with the engine running, or off?[/QUOTE]
Old 10-16-14, 06:43 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Engine is off for the cold drain and fill and if you are asking that question I think you sound inexperienced enough that you should just pay the dealer to do a transmission flush. My dealer quoted around $220 to do it. If doing the Toyota temperature flow rate procedure after filling, that is done with the engine on and you need an infrared or laser type thermometer to get the fluid temp.

If you really want details on how to do a drain and fill go to the ToyotaNation site and look or search the Highlander forum.

Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)