RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

XM Radio what a rip

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 06:34 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my rx350 in early April. I still get XM radio, weather and traffic updates for free. Maybe its a 6-month trial period?.. During all that time, I listened to XM stations maybe 10-15 times total -- mostly a Comedy channel. I have no use for weather or traffic updates. My iPhone has a better weather app, which I downloaded for free. The traffic around NYC is almost consistently heavy, and I am already taking any possible alternate routes, based on daily traffic driving. Its personal, of course, but for myself - XM is worthless, even for free.
Old 10-03-09, 05:32 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Time to vent RE: XM lies

As I write this, I'm waiting on speakerphone for 'another' supervisor at XM Radio. I noticed today when I created an online acct that my credit card had been charged $461.19 vs the $399 agreed on price for lifetime membership. I called and they said the FCC had granted them permission to charge royalty fees as of the 25th of September. Well I had set my membership up on the 5th of September. I called and was told the $61.19 would be refunded and the acct adjusted. I checked back later and it hadn't been done and someone told me the request was rejected. I called back to cancel and that got their attention. I spoke to a lady called Miles and she said it would be put in motion, I asked for an email confirmation and she said she couldn't do it from her dept but would transfer me to one that could. I asked for a supervisor when I was transferred and he acknowledged the request was in the computer but would take a few days. I asked again for an email conformation and he said I'd get it in a few minutes. I said I didn't want to hang up till it came in. I've been on the phone for over an hour now working on this and I'll update if it comes in otherwise I'm calling my credit card company to refute all charges. I also told them I'd be posting this on the Lexus Club board. He assured me it would be taken care of.

Clock is ticking.

Anyway if you sign up, take notes and names, you may have to do the same thing I am.

9:15 PM. I just got an email confirming the Royalty fees will be credited back to my card, see text below.

Thank you for contacting XM.

We have notice that your were charged $61.19 for the music royalty fee for the lifetime subscription on radio ID BWUTXXXX and as such, we are taking all the necessary steps to refund that amount to your credit card (last 4 digits XXXX). Please note that it will take approximately 7-10 business days for this refund to be processed.

You can also view our website at http://www.xmradio.com/ for the terms and conditions for the lifetime subscribtion.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an additional email or you may contact a Listener Care Representative directly at 1-800-XM RADIO (800-967-2346

It was from lcchelp@xmradio.com so now I have confirmation it will be done.

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-04-09 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-04-09, 04:54 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
---We are not talking about a lot of money here folks so what is the big deal? I hope I don't get ripped for this, but if one can afford to buy an RX or any other luxury car, what's the big deal about spending another couple hundred dollars a year for some additional enjoyment? ---
the money is not the issue

problem is getting something worth paying for

i'd gladly cough up $400 for a lifetime membership for uninterrupted music, but that's not available

i can see where the traffic/weather would be value to those who travel frequently or live in metro areas, but i'm not 1 of those persons
Old 10-04-09, 11:06 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Sorry, I don't mean to intrude anymore on this thread, but I am just curious. When you purchase lifetime membership and in the next few years XM goes out of business, what's then? Bad rep, overcharges, prepay options, poor customer service... hm.

Last edited by data2009; 10-04-09 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-04-09, 11:11 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
Sorry, I don't mean to intrude anymore on this thread, but I am just curious. When you purchase lifetime membership and in the next few years XM goes out of business, what's then?
you're out of luck
Old 10-04-09, 12:03 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by data2009
Sorry, I don't mean to intrude anymore on this thread, but I am just curious. When you purchase lifetime membership and in the next few years XM goes out of business, what's then? Bad rep, overcharges, prepay options, poor customer service... hm.
Well like the last poster said, 'out of luck'. But it's a good deal (if you stay on top of your bill). But chances are if they went out of business, it would be a buyout by someone else. And contracts 'should' be grandfathered.
Old 10-04-09, 05:33 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if a new company that took over a bankrupt XM honored old contracts. The first thing they do in bankruptcy (and takeovers where they change names) is cancel old contracts, stop honoring gift cards etc. We no longer hang on to gift cards more than a month for that reason. Been burned too many times. Getting too old (grumpy) to put up with that stuff.
Old 10-05-09, 07:06 AM
iewiew
Driver

Default Xm

XM going out of business is a distinct possibility. They will probably stop being XM and become Sirius. All bets would then be off.
Old 10-05-09, 12:03 PM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

XM / Sirius has to be the most unorganized / poor customer service I have ever experienced. I called in for the lifetime plan and they told me it was only for portable receivers and not for XM built into cars.

I recieved a letter about 2 weeks ago stating that the RX350 XM configuration was not done properly (i didn't have traffic or weatehr during my trial) and that my trial was being extended by 6 months. I was on the phone for over an hours being transfered from one dept to another. I faxed in the letter and still nothing.

Their customer service is nothing less than horrible!!! I letter sign by the Executive VP of Automotive and no one is customer service had a clue.

I HOPE XM GOES UNDER... SCREW THEM!!!
Old 10-05-09, 12:18 PM
eaeolian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iewiew
Who pays the royalty fee for AM and FM radio stations? Probably it's the advertising. I think XM is just trying to get more revenue from subscribers and placing the blame on FCC.
That's exactly what they're doing. Radio stations pay this out of their advertiser revenues.
Old 10-05-09, 01:34 PM
Cruiter

Default Already merged

Originally Posted by iewiew
XM going out of business is a distinct possibility. They will probably stop being XM and become Sirius. All bets would then be off.
THe XM and Sirius have already been figured in. Below is a comment from the site with the link for full info attached.

6. How much is the U.S. Music Royalty Fee?

1. The fee is $1.98 a month on our base $12.95 subscriptions and $.97 for base plans that are eligible for a second radio discount. Your actual fee may vary depending upon the Package and Plan term you choose.

Here is the link http://www.xmradio.com/about/musicroyalty.xmc

This is the paragraph that was my argument. It was instituted after my agreement.

8. When will I pay the U.S. Music Royalty fee?

1. For plans renewing after July 28, 2009, the fee will be automatically added to your next bill. There will be no change to your current plan and that plan will remain in effect without change until your next renewal date.
[/url]

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-05-09 at 01:44 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-05-09, 10:26 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eaeolian
That's exactly what they're doing. Radio stations pay this out of their advertiser revenues.
for the most part sat radio is commercial free music--thus the only way they can get it back is by charging the subscribers.

Originally sat radio was conceived to be just commercial free music--basically played and replayed over multi day loops or computer generated.

Then Sirius got in trouble and did the hail Mary pass by siging up Howard Stern for about 125 million a year and then backed that up with NFL which was costly and changed the business model. Xm which was a separate compan, had to counter and did baseball and Oprah for mega bucks. And thus they both kissed the business midel goodbye.

Their downfall was when auto sales started declining and they were not getting the number of free trials which would lead to paying subs. And the intro subscriptions often went unnoticed and were rarely turned off several years ago

Then both companies got into deep doo doo and eventually merged with Sirius/Xm the resulting name. They have separate satellite systems which did not work with the synergies and I do not know of any radios that work with both systems as of now. They were suppossed to be working on that for the past several years but the FCC was late to the party.

Apparently I am in minority that likes sat radio--I like the business news and talk radio/TV and more than a few stations. Is it perfect--no--is it enjoyable to me--yes.
Old 10-06-09, 06:42 AM
Cruiter

Default Good News

I just verified online with my USAA M/C that yesterday XM radio refunded the $61 royalty charge to my account. Sometimes to get the right thing done, you have to be persistent.
Old 10-06-09, 07:42 AM
eaeolian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Generally, to get the right thing done, you have to be persistent.
There, fixed that for you. In my recent experience, customer service is so bad anymore that I generally give one chance to the person on the other end, and then I ask for their supervisor. Not because I have anything against the first-line phone people, but they're usually so limited in what they can do that they're not going to be able to fix it if I've reached the point of having to call.
Old 10-06-09, 01:20 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by eaeolian
There, fixed that for you. In my recent experience, customer service is so bad anymore that I generally give one chance to the person on the other end, and then I ask for their supervisor. Not because I have anything against the first-line phone people, but they're usually so limited in what they can do that they're not going to be able to fix it if I've reached the point of having to call.
Most of my adult life was in some form of customer service or sales or both. I've fired people for less infractions then I encountered with XM Radio. And I'd do it again especially today. There are too many 'GOOD' people begging for work of any kind to keep no-accounts on the payroll.

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-06-09 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: XM Radio what a rip