RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Extended warranty and Schedules maintenance plan

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 11:11 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got paperwork... waiting in final package from Lexus but it's legit. Highly recommend using Troy.
Old 10-06-09, 03:20 PM
jjayathe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked with Tory for my 2006 RX 400h with 45k miles on it. Its 2155 for 7/100 and 2600 for 8/100. He has beat all of the texas dealers. I am planning to go for 8/100.

tazdevl,
Sure update us how it goes with Tory.
Old 10-06-09, 04:39 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Default Extended warranty trade off

I would like to see a poll on the cost of the warrenty versus the actual cost for repairs over the owners period of time that he/she owns the car.
Old 10-06-09, 06:47 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Both of my extended warranties have paid for themselves. Not to say I have had lots of repairs on my RXs. It only takes a few visits to the dealer to make it worth the extra cost.
Old 10-07-09, 04:19 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ebarron
The dealer wanted 2900 for my warranty (too much) and about $2000 for service.
The problem with the service is that included everything (oil changes etc) being done at the dealership. I just couldnt see going to a Lexus dealer for oil changes (they arent close). Seemed pricey too.
I go to the Toyota dealer for all fluid changes, saves 30% on average vs Lexus
Old 10-09-09, 08:21 PM
Miralex
Driver School Candidate

You can get significantly cheaper extended warranty through credit unions - e.g. Pentagon Credit Union - which is open to anyone to become a member after paying $20 - offers 7/100k warranty on the 2010 350 for less than $1,000 with no deductible. It is underwritten by Mercury Insurance. On the website they claim their warranty is accepted by dealers. Any downside?
Old 10-10-09, 06:21 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Got the final paperwork from Lexus... it's all good in the hood. Definitely recommend Tony.
Old 10-10-09, 07:22 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Isn't there a money back deal with getting the warranty via the dealer at time of purchase? If you don't end up using the warranty, you get the money back (at the end of the warranty period).
Old 10-10-09, 08:55 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

No... if I remember correctly it's prorated based on the term... so you drive 10K of a 100K warranty... you can get 90% of it back. Wouldn't make much sense for them to give you 100% of your money back if you already had coverage over X amount of time.

Pentagon Federal... I would avoid third party warranties. It's all driven by the financial well being of the company covering it and last time I checked we were in a once in a lifetime recession with banks and insurance companies closing left and right. The other question to consider/ask is how good is the coverage and what do you need to do to get a repair taken care of. If you have to jump through hoops, pay first then get reimbursed, get it authorized before the repair happens... too much work for me. OE warranty is painless.

Last edited by tazdevl; 10-10-09 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 08:07 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I second that notion of avoiding third party warranties. I had one that went out of business...no recourse or money back. They went under before my regular warranty expired. Complete waste of money. Rumor has it that they just restarted as another company and kept all the money. All those commercials for Us Fidelis, etc. just a scam IMO. Once you get burned out of over 2g's, you won't forget it.
Old 02-15-12, 12:56 PM
Boudreaux
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi Tromly:

Originally Posted by tromly
I go to the Toyota dealer for all fluid changes, saves 30% on average vs Lexus
Hi Tromly, I'm reading this thread with that exact thought in mind. Going to a Toyota dealer with a Lexus.

I have the thoughts of a Lexus in my future. Unfortunately the Lexus dealership is 71 miles (one way) from my home. So I'm wondering about having the future Lexus serviced at a highly reputable Toyota dealership 5 miles form my home.

Can anyone verify, is this regarded as an acceptable practice by Lexus....???

Old 02-15-12, 01:38 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

You can service your own vehicle in your driveway for all it matters. As long as you keep accurate/detailed records the onus would be on Lexus to prove your DIDN'T maintain it properly.
Old 02-15-12, 02:58 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Boudreaux
Hi Tromly, I'm reading this thread with that exact thought in mind. Going to a Toyota dealer with a Lexus.

I have the thoughts of a Lexus in my future. Unfortunately the Lexus dealership is 71 miles (one way) from my home. So I'm wondering about having the future Lexus serviced at a highly reputable Toyota dealership 5 miles form my home.

Can anyone verify, is this regarded as an acceptable practice by Lexus....???

As mentioned above, you can have anyone basically do the service, just keep the records to prove it and perhaps update the My Lexus site with the service info yourself. What you'll find is non-Lexus dealers, including Toyota, won't typically be able to do anything related to warranty -- it varies by dealership and you'll have to ask them to be sure. From what I've read here though, most folks have had no issues with Toyota dealers doing basics like oil change/tire rotation after the first two free ones that come with Lexus warranty.
Old 10-23-13, 12:20 AM
kat2858
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 RX Platinum Extended Warranty

Just bought an 8-year/75K/ 0 deductible Lexus Platinum extended warranty for $1414 from Troy Dietrich of Toyota of Greenfield. Troy is easy to work with and very responsive. Their procedure is simple and straight-forward. It took less than three weeks to complete the deal, from my initial contact with Troy to receipt of the Lexus Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement from Lexus Financial Services.

Thanks to this forum for a great lead.

Last edited by kat2858; 10-23-13 at 12:23 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-24-13, 06:51 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Some auto Insurers have a Mechanical Breakdown added policy for a nominal cost each year. I always gave thought to that but I never actually needed work on any vehicle after the warranty expired(crossing my fingers) ,so I'll pass. My Family cars are Toyota, Honda, two Lexus.
Extremely reliable Manufacturers.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty and Schedules maintenance plan