RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buzzing from under rear of vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 07:31 AM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing from under rear of vehicle

Last night I was in the garage and something that sounded like a cross between a nail in a tire and a small electric pump started running from under the truck. It seemed to be coming from the rear right wheel area, more towards the center.

This is the second time I've heard it and it shuts off after about 2-3 min.

Anythoughts as to what it could be? perhaps some sort of gas tank pressurizer or something?
Old 09-09-09, 11:21 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dr_p
Last night I was in the garage and something that sounded like a cross between a nail in a tire and a small electric pump started running from under the truck. It seemed to be coming from the rear right wheel area, more towards the center.

Anythoughts as to what it could be? perhaps some sort of gas tank pressurizer or something?
if u don't have air suspension, then I have no Idea..
Old 09-09-09, 11:48 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In both conditions or in your garage, does it have the incline?

Did you engage the parking brake in these situations?

Thanks.

Maybe we're talking about the different things, but my 350 will have the metal clunk sound when I releases my parking brake in oblique surface/locations. (I'm not talking about the sound when shifting out of P.) I guess this is normal for this car.
Old 09-09-09, 12:41 PM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

rxets - very mild incline and yes to the parking brake.. but the sound is very specific, almost like an electric pump

on my old jetta the fuel pump would prime for a second when you opened the drivers door.. but this was almost a hissing sound whose pitch raised ever so slightly just before shutting off. I've only noticed it twice so far but I'm sure i'ts supposed to be there as it doesnt sound bad, and it shuts off, I just wondered what it could be

Last edited by dr_p; 09-09-09 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 12:58 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

rxets - very mild incline and yes to the parking brake.. but the sound is very specific, almost like an electric pump

on my old jetta the fuel pump would prime for a second when you opened the drivers door.. but this was almost a hissing sound whose pitch raised ever so slightly just before shutting off. I've only noticed it twice so far but I'm sure i'ts supposed to be there as it doesnt sound bad, and it shuts off, I just wondered what it could be
maybe Air conditioner? When u hear that sound again, try turning air conditioner off at the very same moment...
Old 09-09-09, 01:08 PM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

perhaps i didnt clarify, this happens when the car is off, and has been sitting in the garage for a few hours. Its not running, nor was it shut off recently
Old 09-09-09, 01:20 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

One morning when i got into the garage to get ready to head out, I heard the exact same noise from the exact same location. It stopped after a few minutes. The car had been sitting in the garage overnight; nothing was running.

My guess is that this occurrs to most new RX. We just are not there at the right time to hear it.
Old 09-09-09, 01:21 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

perhaps i didnt clarify, this happens when the car is off, and has been sitting in the garage for a few hours. Its not running, nor was it shut off recently
U should ask dealer about it, nothing should work in car after such long time...in any safety reason...

I guess it could be quite simple, to find it out for dealer, if as u say it only works after long time of shuttoff...so any part, that gets electrisity when engine is off could be detected easy, specialy, when you can describe location of it..
Old 09-09-09, 02:03 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have it checked at the dealer but the brake system/ABS system typically pressurizes and can make a noise when you start the car.
Old 09-11-09, 01:56 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading your note above a couple days ago I tried to put my hands on what I had read about the issue, but so far have not located it. But...I do recall reading something about a motor coming on at various times in the Lexus even with the engine off, and not to be concerned about it. I think it had to do with the emission system for the gas tank, as best as I can recall.

I've spent hours going through the owners manual looking for the information on it to no avail, but clearly remember reading something about it.
Old 09-11-09, 06:01 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

dr p

Did you happen to have your key with you at the time? Puddle lights come on as you walked past the car? Just wondering if it's the seat motor etc from the car sensing the key. If no key, then nevermind.
Old 09-11-09, 08:44 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the pump that tests the EVAP (and fuel) system for leaks. Perfectly normal, and could come on something like up to 8 hrs (if I recall correctly) after shutting the car off.
Old 09-12-09, 08:50 AM
afpj
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcy
It's the pump that tests the EVAP (and fuel) system for leaks. Perfectly normal, and could come on something like up to 8 hrs (if I recall correctly) after shutting the car off.
Wow, is that in the manual somewhere? Since it's an emission control item, I assume that it applies to 350 and 450h?
Old 09-12-09, 01:31 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
Wow, is that in the manual somewhere? Since it's an emission control item, I assume that it applies to 350 and 450h?
Yep, the 450h does it too, nothing at all to worry over. New technology, new sounds & gizmos.
Old 09-12-09, 03:03 PM
afpj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Yep, the 450h does it too, nothing at all to worry over. New technology, new sounds & gizmos.

If my car greets me with "good morning Dave", I'm going to stay home that day.

Quick Reply: Buzzing from under rear of vehicle