RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Delay in my Ordered RX350...sigh

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 09:15 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Delay in my Ordered RX350...sigh

So, I got a call from my Lexus dealership late last week, asking me to call the sales manager.

I did, only to be told that my RX350 (which they had assured me in July was "taken up" by the ordering system) was, in fact, going to be delayed until November.

It seems that there are two separate order systems - one for Canada, and one for Japan. When he mentioned Japan, I noted that he needed to submit the order there, since I've ordered the Sport Package - which includes VDIM, as does the RX 450h, as standard equipment - an option which is only built in Japan.

Apparently, they didn't know this. So they've been querying the Canadian plant to no good result.

Ugh. So now another 2 months to wait. Instead of a birthday present, I'm hoping for Thanksgiving...

Sandi
Old 09-01-09, 11:38 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
So, I got a call from my Lexus dealership late last week, asking me to call the sales manager.

I did, only to be told that my RX350 (which they had assured me in July was "taken up" by the ordering system) was, in fact, going to be delayed until November.

It seems that there are two separate order systems - one for Canada, and one for Japan. When he mentioned Japan, I noted that he needed to submit the order there, since I've ordered the Sport Package - which includes VDIM, as does the RX 450h, as standard equipment - an option which is only built in Japan.

Apparently, they didn't know this. So they've been querying the Canadian plant to no good result.

Ugh. So now another 2 months to wait. Instead of a birthday present, I'm hoping for Thanksgiving...

Sandi
This really would tick me off. It is SO irresponsible on your dealer's part. They should give you a big discount because of their stupidity.
Old 09-01-09, 12:03 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sandi
Sandi, I am sorry to hear you are having this trouble. I find some of the stories on here about dealerships unbelievable. My dealership is great!
I agree with Pat, you deserve a discount. Good luck with getting one from a dealership that behaves as you describe.
Regarding you ordering the Sport Package, did you have to give up a lot of other options by getting that package? I wanted the VDIM but that required ordering the Sport Package which meant we would have had to give up a lot of options.
The introduction of the new RX has been a failed process from design mistakes, to customer ordering, to the service from dealerships. Lexus should be all over this.

Last edited by DNC; 09-01-09 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 02:04 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck... I wanted to order Sports and Luxury... they're mutually exclusive. Have to have one or the other. Since you can't tear it up in an RX anyway and I liked the Luxury package options... I opted for the latter. Mine should be here in 3-4 weeks from Japan (fingers crossed). Good luck!
Old 09-01-09, 02:09 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TAz--I find the reg suspension in the 450 to perform quite well with a good balance between firm and comfortable ride. Handling is surprisingly good. Not outstanding, (like in sprts) but good)
Old 09-01-09, 03:04 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Good luck... I wanted to order Sports and Luxury... they're mutually exclusive. Have to have one or the other. Since you can't tear it up in an RX anyway and I liked the Luxury package options... I opted for the latter. Mine should be here in 3-4 weeks from Japan (fingers crossed). Good luck!
Yes, same here. We were told we could not have both. The only reason I wanted the Sport Package was because that is the only way to get the VDIM option.
We are told our RX should be in this month from Japan.

Originally Posted by Hal56
TAz--I find the reg suspension in the 450 to perform quite well with a good balance between firm and comfortable ride. Handling is surprisingly good. Not outstanding, (like in sprts) but good)
As I mentioned above my motivation in getting the Sport Package was for the VDIM which Lexus was pushing as a safety advantage. I would have liked for my family to have had the added advantage.
Old 09-01-09, 03:05 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sandi
Sandi
Like Hal said, the 450h handles pretty well and it's solid as a rock, and yes, comes standard with VDIM (which brings the price closer to the the 350 w/same). Plus a little more trim. Why don't you take a test drive in one? Never say never . Oh, if you do, don't floor it without being prepared to buy, the power band is so strong and smooth it's really addicting .

The extra mileage you'd get is just bonus.
Old 09-01-09, 03:20 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Sandi
Like Hal said, the 450h handles pretty well and it's solid as a rock, and yes, comes standard with VDIM (which brings the price closer to the the 350 w/same). Plus a little more trim. Why don't you take a test drive in one? Never say never . Oh, if you do, don't floor it without being prepared to buy, the power band is so strong and smooth it's really addicting .

Cruiter, At anytime while driving your RX are you aware of the operation of the VDIM? Have you ever driven an RX without VDIM, and could you tell a difference?
Lexus has never been able to answer my question of if there is a detectable difference.
Old 09-01-09, 06:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
Cruiter, At anytime while driving your RX are you aware of the operation of the VDIM? Have you ever driven an RX without VDIM, and could you tell a difference?
Lexus has never been able to answer my question of if there is a detectable difference.
The sport package comes with VDIM cut-off switch but I don't think I want to test it out In the snow, the 1st gen/2nd gen RXs loses the back end very easily during the slightest turns. I really hope VDIM resolves this.

I have to agree with Jim, the handling in the 3rd gen is great. I drove both the 350 with the sport package and the 450h without. But I'm opting for the 450h with the sport package and will make sure I have the best tires I can get. Snow will be coming before I know it
Old 09-01-09, 07:01 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the VDIM in the snow and you notice it kick in when I did a quick turn on a snow-covered road. The handling was amazing and the car instantaneously corrected itself. I was pretty impressed. It was an ultra premium model I drove.. and I drive one now
Old 09-01-09, 09:07 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Taz, I want the Premium Package for the sunroof and leather. I did NOT want Nav. So my configuration is considered extremely odd.

Also, I think you are not correct. My understanding is that ONLY the 450h and the 350 *with* sport package are built in Japan. All other Rx350's are built in Cambridge, Canada...

Sandi
Old 09-01-09, 09:09 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Sandi

Jim, the 350 with Sport Package and Premium is ~ $44K MSRP. The 450h is simply more $$ than I want to spend.

Sandi
Old 09-01-09, 09:13 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DNC
Sandi, I am sorry to hear you are having this trouble. I find some of the stories on here about dealerships unbelievable. My dealership is great!
I've been very happy with the dealership, in fact. They were the only ones 3 months ago willing to even CONSIDER a special order.

Originally Posted by DNC
I agree with Pat, you deserve a discount. Good luck with getting one from a dealership that behaves as you describe.
Oh, I'm not worried about that.

Originally Posted by DNC
Regarding you ordering the Sport Package, did you have to give up a lot of other options by getting that package? I wanted the VDIM but that required ordering the Sport Package which meant we would have had to give up a lot of options.

The introduction of the new RX has been a failed process from design mistakes, to customer ordering, to the service from dealerships. Lexus should be all over this.
Well, I didn't have to "give up" other options, since I really didn't want many. I did NOT want Nav, so right off the bat, this made it an "orphan" order. I wanted the Premium Package, the Sports Package, and the rearview mirror backup camera. AWD with Tow Package. Everything else - didn't care.

I agree that Lexus could have better trained and prepared the dealerships for the product launch. I'm being philosophical about it all - by the time I do get mine, the bumpers will be fixed with extra fasteners, I'll have the Enform installed, the road noise from the rearview mirror and side mirrors will be fixed, and all mats will be available.

Sandi
Old 09-01-09, 09:40 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by DOUS
I test drove the VDIM in the snow and you notice it kick in when I did a quick turn on a snow-covered road. The handling was amazing and the car instantaneously corrected itself. I was pretty impressed. It was an ultra premium model I drove.. and I drive one now
I REALLY wish we could have had the VDIM option! Your words make me second guess my decision. VDIM should be a standard feature, or at least a stand alone option being it's not expensive to begin with.

Last edited by DNC; 09-01-09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 05:04 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised about the lack of dealer knowledge about some of the details and intricacies of the new models. I'm not talking about back in Feb when the 2010 was first launched but over the past few weeks.

I spoke with a number of dealerships trying to get some basic information from the pricing and packages, to the manufacturing plants to some of the technology. I am simply stupified that there are so many sales persons and managers that really don't know all that much about these cars.

I have to say that with only 8 models to learn about (including the new HS) that there either isn't more training or that the employees don't care to learn. Most of the technology overlaps each car as well so the amount of information is really fairly minimal compared to some of the other car companies with scores of vehicles in their lineups.

The reality is that business is slow for all car manufacturers. That means that the dealerships should be using that slow time to bulk up on features and knowledge about their vehicles so that when they do get the opportunity to sell a car they know about all of the details so they can assist their customers.

I will admit that I went online and read the manuals before buying our RX (and I'm glad I did!). But to be able to show a sales person how to use certain features when the technology on this car is one of the key selling points seems a bit odd to me. We're not talking about things that are deeply embedded in long menus either -we're talking about relatively simple things.

If any of you sales people are out there reading these boards (and I would doubt that is the case since none of the people I talked to knew about any of the issues or tips discussed on here) please take the time to learn about your products!!!

If I were in auto sales, I would know every message board and manual like the back of my hand. I would be learning instead of standing in a corner waiting for the next sucker to walk through the door (ok, I know that was a little harsh but I think you get the point ).

I really expect more from Lexus and I'm just not sure that the focus is there for product knowledge like it had been previously. Again, I know the RX is a new release but after 6+ months you would think that there would be more of an understanding of some of the basics.

I'm sure some of you will share great stories about your dealership and your experience with their knowledge sharing but I was underwhelmed when speaking with a number of dealerships.

Lexus - if you're listening . . . this is a big area of opportunity for improvement!! Mistakes like the one listed by the OP are really avoidable and can have a huge cost in terms of repeat business.

Sorry for the rant but thought this would be a good place to share. Hope I wasn't too harsh!

Jay

Quick Reply: Delay in my Ordered RX350...sigh