RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rustling noise from driver side window/door area

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09, 09:28 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustling noise from driver side window/door area

I bought my Japan made 2010 RX AWD with all options about 2 months ago.

I can hear this rustling noise from the drive side door/window area when the road is bumpy (or on any uneven road surface). It sounds like the window is not tightly held in the door panel; so when there's any bump or vibration, the window makes this rustling noise, as if someone is shaking a loose piece of window. It's very annoying.

Have any of you experienced this problem? I'm a little disappointed in Lexus. I still have my 2002 RX300, and it still drives/feels very solid.

Last edited by lmm2009; 09-08-09 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-30-09, 11:57 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Yep I hear it. I am constantly checking to make sure that my window is fully up...and it is.
Old 08-30-09, 02:10 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
Yep I hear it. I am constantly checking to make sure that my window is fully up...and it is.
I have never been as nervous about taking delivery of a car as I am this 2010 we have ordered. I so hope these bugs were worked out before our's was built last week.
At least I have faith in our dealership and our state's lemon law.
Old 08-30-09, 05:03 PM
jquinn14
Driver School Candidate

I constantly check to make sure my windows are rolled up as well.
Old 08-30-09, 06:51 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jquinn14
I constantly check to make sure my windows are rolled up as well.
I have a May built Hybrid (one of the 1st ones) with over 3 thousand miles now. It's still as rock solid and quite as the day I took delivery. Is your car from Japan or Canada?

One little nagging problem, I'm fanatic about keeping it clean. We have had a drought here in GA but every time I wash it, it manages to rain
Old 08-30-09, 07:50 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

"I have a May built Hybrid (one of the 1st ones) with over 3 thousand miles now. It's still as rock solid and quite as the day I took delivery. Is your car from Japan or Canada?"

It seems that most issues that are being discussed here are gas type RX's; not Hybrid. So you are pretty lucky.

I'm sure everyone received the survey email from Lexus HQ. In which it stats

"...The information you provide will be communicated directly to the factory
that built your RX 350, as well as many other departments at Lexus. As such,
we would appreciate your efforts in providing specific comments related to
any issues you might have..."

I reported this driver-side noise issue in my survey.
Old 08-30-09, 09:43 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is new to me. I tried to image this "rustling noise". So far, I have ever tried 10+ RX350, made in Japan or Cambridge, I couldn't remember any noise like this.

Do you mean this only occurs when entering the bumpy roads or your car has the vibrations? Sounds like the door frame doesn't hold your window or the rubbers over the frame doesn't fit your window well?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-09, 10:07 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the new RX before my purchase. Actually weeks before that, I took one home as a loaner, thanks to the dealership. I never noticed this "rustling noise" problem then. I guess I was enjoying the stereo too much :-)

I started noticing this annoying thing weeks after the purchase. Your understanding is correct. It only occurs when entering bumpy roads or the car has the vibration due to road condition (to hear it, the radio should be turned off, of course). And i think your diagnosis might be correct too.
Old 08-30-09, 10:39 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

mine is fine--rather solid.

Only problem is the technology is confusing me-ie--sometimes when I turn off the car when I open the door the radio starts up again,

the nav voice recognition is giving me fits. It is not all that intuitive on for example switching ratio stations and changing hte screens. Today our map stopped movin gour position--needed a reboot

the tech problem might be us--but on the other hand Lexus know there are a lot of former soccer moms driving the RX so the system should be more intuitive,

Wy wife is asking for the prestige system override product.
Old 08-31-09, 05:51 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lmm2009
"I have a May built Hybrid (one of the 1st ones) with over 3 thousand miles now. It's still as rock solid and quite as the day I took delivery. Is your car from Japan or Canada?"

It seems that most issues that are being discussed here are gas type RX's; not Hybrid. So you are pretty lucky.

I'm sure everyone received the survey email from Lexus HQ. In which it stats

"...The information you provide will be communicated directly to the factory
that built your RX 350, as well as many other departments at Lexus. As such,
we would appreciate your efforts in providing specific comments related to
any issues you might have..."

I reported this driver-side noise issue in my survey.
I haven't received a survey yet, but I guess if they send it to everyone, I'll it sooner or later.

I consider my good experience with my Lexus as normal and what to expect. I think those that have had disappointing experiences are ab-normal or bad luck. Even with the ones built in Canada, I think the bad experiences are a much smaller percentages than posters in this forum might indicate. You always hear more about unlucky experiences than positive ones. And the majority of owners don't even ever see this forum.

That's not to say those experiences shared with us don't give us a heads up as what possibly to look for.

I'd like to see one or two design/function changes, other than that, everything works as advertised.
Old 08-31-09, 09:51 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lmm2009
I bought my Japan made 2010 RX AWD with all options about 2 months ago.

I can hear this rustling noise from the drive side door/window area when the road is bumpy (or on any uneven road surface). It sounds like the window is not tightly held in the door panel; so when there's any bump or vibration, the window makes this rustling noise, as if someone is shaking a loose piece of window. It's very annoying.

What's interesting is that I heard the same noise with a loaner 2010 RX; which made me feel a little better (so it wasn't just my car). But I didn't hear the noise with the second loaner 2010 RX. Yes, I have been the dealership a few times. They replaced the rear view mirror, the original one was defective and was making rattle noise.

Have any of you experienced this problem? I'm a little disappointed in Lexus. I still have my 2002 RX300, and it still drives/feels very solid.
yes, i have this too. it will be dealt with when i take my RX back for its 1,600 KM inspection.
Old 08-31-09, 06:11 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi Stormforge, please let us know

Please let us know how your dealership handles this problem.

When I brought my RX in for the 1,000 miles service, I told the service advisor about this problem. They had one of their people test drive my RX but he didn't hear it. At the time, I was more distracted by the other rattle noise which sounded like some kind of electric buzzzzzz, which eventually turned out to be the defective rear view mirror.

The dealership and the service people were really helpful.
Old 09-01-09, 12:36 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

will do. give me a couple of months and i'll report back.
Old 09-04-09, 12:02 PM
RXTexas
Driver School Candidate

Same issue here!! I'm always checking my windows to see if they are closed. I think it's from the way oversized mirrors. My sounds really windy but I can't isolate to a certain area?????
Old 09-04-09, 01:53 PM
lmm2009
Driver School Candidate

It doesn't sound like wind noise in my car. It's more like the driver side window is not held perfectly tight by the frame; so it makes noise when there's vibration.

Quick Reply: Rustling noise from driver side window/door area