RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 3RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 08:20 AM
Kopavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX 450H owner from the Central Arizona Highlands

Previously drove several hybrids:
  • 2003 Honda Insight sold it in 2014.
  • Replaced with a 2014 Honda CRZ sold it 2015
  • Replaced with a 2010 RX450H FWD sold it a month ago
  • Replaced with a 2011 RX450H AWD in Starfire Pearl with black interior
    • Comfort package
    • 19" wheels
    • LED headlights
    • Navigation
    • Premium Package and a few more options
I miss the 60mpg of the Insight and it's uniqueness. I miss the sportiness, quickness and exclusivity of the CRZ. I do a lot of walking and witnessing the inattention of most drivers (texting, eating, applying makeup to name a few) helped me decide to look for a larger and safer vehicle that could withstand the eventual head-on collision that I believe more than a few of us will experience.

The RX is one of the safest vehicles ever made. Although the hybrid premium may not be worth it over the long run; in my case, coming from a history of hybrids the choice was an easy one.

I live at a mile high and decided to sell the 2010 FWD with 71K miles and replaced it a week ago with a 2011 AWD with 48K miles. The LED headlights are a great option and the increased visibility is outstanding. The intelligent high-beams also work well on our less travelled roads that have more animal traffic than vehicle traffic. The newest RX was in pristene condition. Very few minor nicks and no curb rash on any of the wheels. New Michelin tires were installed and have only 5K miles on them. The drivers seat has very slight wear and the other 3 seats are like new.

I enjoy the forum and appreciate the information shared by other members.

Last edited by Kopavi; 01-07-17 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-29-16, 03:09 PM
Tdhend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased March 2015:
2015 Lexus RX 350 AWD
Nav
Comfort package
19" wheels
Blue ext; Gray int

I love this vehicle.
Old 01-02-17, 12:25 PM
texmedic
Driver School Candidate

Default New ride

Actually my girls new/ used RX but I'll be modding it for her. Looking over this forum its a great resource! Looking forward to learning from you all!
2013 RX350 F Sport AWD
White/ Charcoal Grey trim, Black interior
Nav
19inch wheels
Mods since purchase 2 weeks ago.
Lexus Black Chrome emblems and White on Black F Sport badging
Husky Liner All Weather Mats
LEDs for interior
Plasti Chrome trim to Charcoal Grey
Old 01-03-17, 01:45 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Purchased Lexus certified in Dec 2016.

Model: 2013 Lexus RX 350 AWD
Mileage: 44000 miles
Color: Black
Interior: Saddle
18 inch wheels
Premium and Comfort packages.

So far I am loving the vehicle. Car is really well insulated from outside noise. Can't comment on average as I have not driven it much yet. Previous 5 averages seems to be in 20-21 range. I will be happy if I get 20 or above.

Got Compustar remote starter installed from Lexus Dealer. 2W remote works like charm. Range is good if there is not too much obstruction in between. Engine shuts off when door is unlocked which is fine with me.
Old 01-11-17, 06:37 PM
ceoar
Driver School Candidate

1. 2014 RX450h
2. Navigation
3. white
4. exclus
5. 255-55-19

i'm live in korea so i can't choose option
Old 01-24-17, 06:55 PM
lexlude
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default just pick up a 2010 rx350 today

This was the first vehicle I ever bought from a dealer. All my previous and present vehicles came from private sellers. I look at the truck on saturday and they were close on sunday. I called up monday to let the dealer know I was coming to take a second look at the black rx350 truck on tuesday. Also I let them knew there was a silver rx350 I wanted to take a look at too.
Today I rented a uhaul truck and transporter for $250. I used the whitestone bridge which cost me $33.00 going and $32.00 coming back. The george washington bridge cost me $82.00 coming back. I also put $30 gas in the uhaul truck. total of $427. I reached to the dealer and was told the truck was sold by another salesman.
I realize I fxxk up. I was watching the website to monitor if the vehicle was sold which I now know that they don't update immediately. Now I have to weigh my options. I either take a look at the silver rx350, check other dealers within a 10 mile radius or just call it a loss and go home. I decide to test drive the silver rx350 even though I was not too fund of the color. I cut the test drive in half because I was already impress compare to the other one I test drove on last saturday. I came back to the dealer and inspected under the rear bumper. I notice the muffler was bent from a previous minor accident that was mention on carfax.
I did had some concern with the black rx350 but I was still consider buying it. I heard a slight bearing noise coming from the rear it could be the rusted rotor, The computer reset because of the dead battery so they were no way for me to check for codes at this time. I also notice mist on the inside of the lower windshield.
I had none of these issues with the silver rs350 so I feel I came out with the better of the two. both were going for $15k.
what I notice during my year long of researching rx350 is most of them come with premium and comfort package.
Old 01-25-17, 06:58 PM
kennyw418
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 rx350

Picking up my 2010 RX 350 123k tomorrow -1 owner 19" 7 spoke wheels Black on Black
Welcome to Club Lexus! 3RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-09.jpgWelcome to Club Lexus! 3RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-01.jpg
The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (04-22-21)
Old 01-26-17, 02:44 PM
davus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gday all!

Dave here from Australia.

My wife has a 2010 Australian RX350. Factory SatNav. Its red with a cream interior! Love the car, and man are these things bullet proof (compared to my Audi!)

Looking forward to being part of the community. Off for my first post!

Dave
Old 01-28-17, 01:50 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bought a Lexus RX350, 2015 CPO

2015 Lexus RX350 Premium Pack w/Leather interior trim.
21k miles, Lexus CPO, unlimited mile, bumper to bumper warranty for the next 42 mo.
We traded our 2014 BMW X3 M Sport for this. The BMW drives better no doubt, far more sporty but we had about six mos of warranty left since my wife drives 20-22k miles each year. Also had the local BMW dealer break my buddies car and then he had to wrestle for a month to get it fixed [img]styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ot/frown.gif[/img]
Needless to say I lost faith in their out of warranty service after that.
We crossed shopped the MDX, Highlander, Audi Q5 and Q7 and settled on this.

Invariably there will be a few questions about BMW vs Lexus so here goes...
BMW steering was better, suspension was firmer and in my opinion better. Wife even commented the Lexus doesn't corner as well as the BMW. The BMW interior is more modern and contemporary with good materials and fit and finish. i-Drive is much better than the Lexus Infotainment system.

The Lexus is bigger than the X3 and bigger than the X5 by a comfortable margin but still drives relatively small for an SUV. The dash materials are better in the Lexus and I like the leather trimmed door handles. The top part of the door panels is better quality in the Lexus, the middle part of the door panel, I'd give the edge to BMW. The radio controls feel a bit better in the Lexus and the HVAC controls were better in the BMW. The leather quality is good in both vehicles, the Lexus is softer, the BMW had Dakota leather and so while it was firmer was also good quality. There are many parts on the inside of the Lexus that are butter smooth. Almost everything is felt lined or damped, there's far fewer creaks and rattles.

The V6 makes decent power, but not as much torque as the I4 in the BMW, the BMW was lighter so probably not completely apples to apples but the BMW definitely makes it's power in a better manner for pulling an SUV around. The Lexus V6 is smoother and a quiet operator. The car overall is quieter than the BMW on the highway as well. BMW will have the MPG edge.

The Lexus fit and finish over all seems better, panel consistency, leather stitching, etc is pretty impressive, the newer generation cars are even more impressive. The biggest knock is the lack of organic materials, in our BMW's aluminum trim was real aluminum, in Lexus it's a high quality plastic imitation.
RadiantX45 (04-22-21)
Old 02-09-17, 11:54 AM
Sniron
Driver School Candidate

Default First Lexus, 2015 CPO RX 350

I just turned in my 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium last Friday. VW was in a rush to complete the paperwork, but then wanted to wait a month to take ownership of the car. In addition to that, I had to turn in the car on Friday and wait until Wednesday to get my money. Can't complain too much, I drove the car for over 2 years and 82,000 miles. Turned it in and came away with the note retired and a check for just shy of $14,000.00. During that month, I did a lot of research. Looked at BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Infinity, along with Explorer, and the Hyundai Santa Fe. Everything pretty much pointed me to the Lexus. I put about 35,000 miles a year on a car, so I decided to go with the CPO warranty. Might be a waste of money, but gives me a lot of peace of mind. The VW was the first non Ford product that I have owned for almost 20 years. I know, I hear all kinds of trash talk about Ford, but the Ford products I have owned have served me well. I was still making a daily commute of 100 miles a day when I sold my last Explorer with 240,000+ miles on it.

I will say the folks at Sewell Lexus of Fort Worth were great. I went by Friday afternoon to make the deal on the RX 350 and told them that I wouldn't get my money from VW until Wednesday. They had me sign a loan car agreement and take my new vehicle to avoid having to rent one. So, after a week with the new (to me, it only had 24K on it) RX 350, so far I am ecstatic. I did buy the door ding warranty. I have 4 cars on my insurance policy and apparently, in addition to the door dings, it pays the deductible on any car on my policy. The only thing I am slightly disappointed in is the sound system. And only sightly, its not too bad, but the VW had the Fender system in it, and it was the best car audio I have ever experienced. In comparison, the separation on the Lexus audio is minimal and the bass is slightly muddy, but nothing I can't live with.

I'm thinking of adding the door side moldings. I have found some on Ebay in the correct color, genuine Lexus. I'm thinking these would be a worthwhile addition. What say you folks?
Old 02-09-17, 12:46 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Welcome to CL and congratulations on the new ride. Does your RX have navigation? I ask because navigation includes a better audio system.
Regarding the sound system, some folks have added an aftermarket sub-woofer. You will need to use the search feature to dig up any threads. I found the audio system sounded better after much adjusting of the treble, mid-range and bass controls. Especially boosting the mid-range.
Old 02-09-17, 12:54 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 2015 RX also with nav and no Mark Levinson audio. The audio is just OK and the only real disappointment in the car. The sound is very mono and center channel focused with almost no stereo separation. The sound systems in my Maxima, Avalanche and Jeep blow the Lexus away. Congrats on the new auto!
Old 02-09-17, 01:43 PM
Sniron
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Welcome to CL and congratulations on the new ride. Does your RX have navigation? I ask because navigation includes a better audio system.
Regarding the sound system, some folks have added an aftermarket sub-woofer. You will need to use the search feature to dig up any threads. I found the audio system sounded better after much adjusting of the treble, mid-range and bass controls. Especially boosting the mid-range.
I have a 2015 RX also with nav and no Mark Levinson audio. The audio is just OK and the only real disappointment in the car. The sound is very mono and center channel focused with almost no stereo separation. The sound systems in my Maxima, Avalanche and Jeep blow the Lexus away. Congrats on the new auto!
Yep, I haven't had much time to fiddle around with the controls yet. My RX does not have navigation. I considered this, but didn't worry much about it, since my VW did have it, but I used Waze anyway. Even with Sirius traffic, Waze was better, so not a big deal for me, except I would like a little better audio. And, gregjhonda, the very mono sound is exactly what I am experiencing. However, I am loving the car. Very smooth, nice power, very comfortable and roomy. It is a nice ride indeed.
Old 02-11-17, 05:47 PM
yakdude01
Driver School Candidate

Just bought mine today.

1. RX350
2. No navigation - Who needs that? I never get lost....right!
3. Claret Mica (Burgundy) and Parchment interior
4. Premium
5. Not the Sport model. Chrome 19s

Lots to learn, literally just drove it home from the dealer.

My first purchase of a "foreign" car...made in Canada. HA! Seriously, first time owner of Toyota/Lexus.
The "other" ride is a 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Limited, which I bought new back in late 2001.

2015 RX350

Driving the Tail of the Dragon in 2017

- Kevin

Last edited by yakdude01; 02-08-20 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Fixed interior color
RadiantX45 (04-22-21)
Old 02-13-17, 11:26 PM
motorhed
Driver School Candidate

New to Lexus but not new to Toyota products. Bought my wife a 2012 VW TDI diesel station wagon for our 35th anniversary. You all know what has happened to VW and they're lies about the emissions. VW being bought back and we wanted a dependable, comfortable, easy to get in and out of crossover. We settled on a certified, 2014 Lexus RX350. Beautiful car!
Navigation, sport appearance with 19"wheels, Comfort package, premium sound. Nebula grey pearl with black leather heated and cooled seats.
Me: 64.5 yrs old, Been turning wrenches since I was 13. Started on air cooled VW's and Porsches and built a bunch of them. Moved to Diesel VW's, gas and diesel Mercedes, Lots of 5.9 Cummins work on the Dodge pickups. Worked 30 years at UPS from 1976 to 2006
I own now:
1939 ****** Pickup
1955 VW bug European Deluxe delivered to Holland originally all restored. (Selling)
2001 BMW 325it Sport Wagon, 5 speed stick (Selling)
2007 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins diesel powered with light mods and 6 speed stick
2015 Fox Mountain 235RLS 5th wheel trailer
1967 Triumph 200cc Tiger Cub motorcycle
2007 BMW R1200GS motorcycle
2014 Lexus RX350

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 3RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE