RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

18 or 19 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 02:51 PM
jbbaylor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 or 19 inch wheels

Just bought my RX, but it has 19 inch wheels on it. As part of the negotiation, I didn't want to pay for it and convinced them to switch them with 18s they happened to have from another sale that wanted the upgrade.

I have read a review where it suggests the 18 inch for ride and quietness.

Since its will not affect cost, what should I go with, they'll do the change or leave the 19s on? Has anyone driven both and able to tell a difference?
Old 08-02-09, 02:58 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I test drove a car with the 18s but ordered one with the 19s, because I like the looks of the car with the 19s a lot better. And they look a lot better chromed. As far as I'm concerned, the ride quality is excellent. I'm pleased with my choice to go with the 19s.
Old 08-02-09, 03:08 PM
the lof
Driver School Candidate

The 19s look better plus no problem with the ride. Originally I was thinking 18s, now I'm glad it came with 19s.
Old 08-02-09, 03:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm getting the 19s too. It comes with the car but I have to agree, it does look better. The ride is fine. Personally, I'd worry more about the brand tire you get.
Old 08-02-09, 04:20 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

19" wheel looks great! Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance of getting them.
Old 08-02-09, 05:36 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you talked them into giving you a 19' wheel upgrade for free, then good for you!!!

However, my personal opinion is that the 18s are plenty big, and actually better in the long run. The bigger the wheel, the narrower the tire, and more chance of getting the tires pinched and completely damaged. Also, the larger wheels obviously have more metal exposed, and higher chances of getting them scuffed, scratched, etc.

Then, you have the question of ride. Everyone can say that the ride is not affected. But, I would check it out for myself. The general rule is that the larger the wheel, the harsher the ride. Large wheels are for sports cars, and don't make too much sense on an SUV. There was somebody on this forum that actually replaced the stock 19s for 20s . Now, that's just plain silly
Old 08-02-09, 07:03 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ajs
Well, if you talked them into giving you a 19' wheel upgrade for free, then good for you!!!

However, my personal opinion is that the 18s are plenty big, and actually better in the long run. The bigger the wheel, the narrower the tire, and more chance of getting the tires pinched and completely damaged. Also, the larger wheels obviously have more metal exposed, and higher chances of getting them scuffed, scratched, etc.

Then, you have the question of ride. Everyone can say that the ride is not affected. But, I would check it out for myself. The general rule is that the larger the wheel, the harsher the ride. Large wheels are for sports cars, and don't make too much sense on an SUV. There was somebody on this forum that actually replaced the stock 19s for 20s . Now, that's just plain silly

actually it is the tire profile that makes for the rougher ride-or better handling depending on your perspective.

Wheels can have different tire profiles-the higher the profile number the smaller the sidewall--the rougher the ride and the less tire sidewall sway there is.
Old 08-02-09, 07:08 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Warranty issue

Originally Posted by jbbaylor
Just bought my RX, but it has 19 inch wheels on it. As part of the negotiation, I didn't want to pay for it and convinced them to switch them with 18s they happened to have from another sale that wanted the upgrade.

I have read a review where it suggests the 18 inch for ride and quietness.

Since its will not affect cost, what should I go with, they'll do the change or leave the 19s on? Has anyone driven both and able to tell a difference?
If the window sticker lists your car with 19" wheels, a reputable dealer will not change them to 18". The warranty of the whole power train is based on everything between the engine and the road the vehicle was manufactured with. If you change that you could be asking for serious problems down the road.

For the record, my new 450h has 19" w/Michelin's and it is a great ride, quite and very good handling.
Old 05-24-16, 10:59 AM
StewartE
Driver School Candidate

Default spare rim

hi there, I live in Iowa and just purchased a 2013 RX 350 with 19 inch Chrome wheels. the spare on my car is a space saver, which I hate. I would like to purchase a used full size rim and tire that I can use for trips or just keep in the garage in case it is needed.

any suggestions other than paying dealer rates or $300 on ebay??

would anyone have a spare they would be willing to sell me, doesn't matter about rash/scrateches etc as it really is just to be used occasionally?
Old 05-24-16, 01:18 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

eBay is your best bet. Just keep looking and hope a cheaper option shows up. Also Craigslist.
However, any Toyota Venza or Highlander 19 inch wheel will also fit. However they will not match. Same with non-chrome Lexus wheels as they are more common and cheaper.
I would make sure your full size tire fits in the spare tire area.
Old 05-24-16, 01:55 PM
StewartE
Driver School Candidate

thank you, will keep looking. the spare will definitely sit up higher than the space saver, but since it will be in the garage most of the time and only used when I have a flat tire that takes more than a day to fix, I figure it would be ok. bearing that in mind I may well end up going for something that doesn't match because it will not matter either. thanks
Old 05-24-16, 06:21 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
If the window sticker lists your car with 19" wheels, a reputable dealer will not change them to 18". The warranty of the whole power train is based on everything between the engine and the road the vehicle was manufactured with. If you change that you could be asking for serious problems down the road.

For the record, my new 450h has 19" w/Michelin's and it is a great ride, quite and very good handling.
If you use the original factory size tire on the wheel, it will not matter whether it is 18 or 19. Both have the same overall tire height. Otherwise, it would not be cost-effective for Lexus to offer a different diameter wheel. There are no alterations or changes needed to any component as long as the correct, original tire size for that wheel is used.
Old 05-25-16, 10:27 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by StewartE
any suggestions other than paying dealer rates or $300 on ebay??
http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/c-2283-...X350-2013.aspx

The refurbished wheels I bought from them were like new and still are after two winters use.
Old 05-27-16, 09:47 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I believe that the European version of the car comes with a full-sized spare -- and that the floor is an inch or two higher to accommodate the additional tire size.

There are many European members in this forum, so perhaps one can confirm/refute my information; and can provide some insight.
Old 05-31-16, 09:05 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 19 for winters and 18 for all season. I don't feel difference in ride but 18 will make a difference in the wallet. :-)

Quick Reply: 18 or 19 inch wheels