RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

18 or 19 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 10:51 AM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
I believe that the European version of the car comes with a full-sized spare -- and that the floor is an inch or two higher to accommodate the additional tire size.

There are many European members in this forum, so perhaps one can confirm/refute my information; and can provide some insight.
My 2010 RX450h is equipped with a reduced size spare wheel, which fills all the available space.

About the debate ongoing, mey personal opinion is that while the 19" rims look better, probably the 18" wheels provide a softer ride and a better economy.
However, I would not change my 19" for the 18", nor recommend doing it, because such downgrade may have some impact over the brake efficiency on dry surfaces, as well as over the handling qualities of the car.
Old 06-01-16, 11:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

the looks of the wheels are a matter of opinion. personally, i like the looks of the 18`s.
Old 06-05-16, 10:00 AM
mollygirl5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the speedometer set-up for wheels that came with the car when new ? Different circumferences would give different speed readings, correct?
Old 06-06-16, 08:41 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

The overall diameter is the same with either the 18 or 19 inch wheels. The tires on the larger wheels have narrower sidewalls to maintain the same diameter or circumference measurement. This is known as a "plus one" wheel modification and is very common. Most manufacturers offer different size wheels and tire combinations, however all are usually the same size overall.
Old 07-02-16, 12:04 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RX 350 came with 19" wheels and they look good, but I'd rather have the 18" for a smoother ride. At freeway cruising speeds, the 19" are fine - and that's what I care about most - but I'm disappointed with the ride quality at slow speeds on the uneven streets around my home - the car is really 'bumpy'. I will add, though, that when I bought the car the dealer had cranked up the tire pressure to over 40psi; when I dropped it to the recommended 32 psi, the ride noticeably improved!

Last edited by kitlz; 07-02-16 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-29-16, 05:23 PM
jdlierle
Driver School Candidate

Default is the 18" much smoother than 19" rim

Looking at a used RX, and found one I kinda liked, but it has f sport apperance with 19" wheels. I thought I read somewhere, the 18" wheels are much smoother?

Beside being a lexus and being reliable, one of the reasons for getting a RX is for the smooth ride.

Any comments/feedback?

cheers
Old 08-29-16, 05:31 PM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default F-Sport can be a bit less smooth

Originally Posted by jdlierle
Looking at a used RX, and found one I kinda liked, but it has f sport apperance with 19" wheels. I thought I read somewhere, the 18" wheels are much smoother?

Beside being a lexus and being reliable, one of the reasons for getting a RX is for the smooth ride.

Any comments/feedback?
cheers
I was faced with a similar situation. A major reason for going with the RX was the smooth ride. The F-Sport, in a effort to handle better, felt a bit harsh for this old back, and I gladly went for the RX. Mine has the 19" wheels but I did not try out one with 18".

Living with the RX for the past 4 weeks, I can attest to the smooth nature of the ride, even with our rather rough roads,...it is a downright pleasure after living with a Mazda CX-5, which was a blast to drive and handle, but became too tough on my aging back. I was just fine giving up the "ZOOM ZOOM" for the Lexus comfort and Luxury!

Old 08-29-16, 05:44 PM
jdlierle
Driver School Candidate

Did you get F sport "Appearance Package"? how does it look different.

From what you wrote, the ride is good with 19's. I've done some test rides in RX, and never looked at rim size. Done a crap load of test rides in all kind of rides, from a gti, mazda's (suv and sedan) same with honda and toyota, but nothing comes close to the RX on our concrete freeways. Surprisingly, the gti rides pretty darn good, and if the rx wasn't a good option, might go that direction as crazy as that sounds.

Thanks for the input though, might try a test ride, but its a 2 hour round trip

(dang there's no negotiating at all with lexus dealers where I live with cpo)
Old 08-29-16, 05:56 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not sure on the rx but naturally a thicker tire (less wheel) will always have a smoother ride...
The following users liked this post:
Northcut (12-27-20)
Old 08-29-16, 06:01 PM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I did not get the F-sport...

Originally Posted by jdlierle
Did you get F sport "Appearance Package"? how does it look different.

From what you wrote, the ride is good with 19's. I've done some test rides in RX, and never looked at rim size. Done a crap load of test rides in all kind of rides, from a gti, mazda's (suv and sedan) same with honda and toyota, but nothing comes close to the RX on our concrete freeways. Surprisingly, the gti rides pretty darn good, and if the rx wasn't a good option, might go that direction as crazy as that sounds.

Thanks for the input though, might try a test ride, but its a 2 hour round trip

(dang there's no negotiating at all with lexus dealers where I live with cpo)
Mine is a normal RX-350...not an F-sport.

Like you, I wanted the smoother ride. Our roads suck and are under construction 12 month per year. Summer temp swings are about 50 degrees daily. Winter brings the freeze and snow (drought not withstanding). sometimes I need all wheel drive to get up my driveway!

We only have one Lexus dealer within 150 miles, and he is a good one insofar as service goes. I found out as did you, there was absolutely no bargaining on my 2013 Certified RX. I couldn't even get free all weather mats; just all the great coffee, Danish, and spring water.

I will admit, they treated me ok on my trade though.

This dealer handles 5 brands from Lexus to Kia...at least there is no pressure. The other dealers in town are vultures

I did not try a 2016, since I was turned off by the looks and increased size. Kind of reminds me of the late 1950's and all the sharp angles and fins...Not to mention that Lexus Bird catching front grill...Yeah I am no youngster.

I think that the CPO option adds a lot to the dealer's cost but they take it out of the buyer's hide. Luckily my dealer is less than 5 miles from home..(makes it easier to take advantage of the free lifetime car-washs. Sounds cheapo, but here in the high desert, cars get filthy even while parked in your garage. The dust is brutal and the closest full service car wash is about 7 miles away, thus the Lexus dealer wash is A GREAT OPTION FOR ME, about once a week

Last edited by Buzzer777; 08-29-16 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-29-16, 06:46 PM
jdlierle
Driver School Candidate

is F sport appearance different than F sport Package? The one I was looking at was "Sport Appearance Package"

hard to tell exactly what each car has from internet ads, http://www.lexusofvalencia.com/Vehic...-CA/2790038913

Old 08-30-16, 05:42 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I just bought a 2010 RXh last week, and it has the 19" rims and rides exceptionally well. Buttery smooth. Even on the roads with a few "ruffles" and "ridges" and patches and whatnot, I can feel the tires hitting the surface disruptions, but it's like a little bump in my feet which does not transfer into the seat (or my aging back).

At teh same time, 18" wheels will give you a little more cushioning effect just beacuse of the taller tire sidewalls, but just how much extra will depend on your tire purchase... some ride softer than others. All in all, I am so pleased with the 19's I have that I won't even consider 18's.
Old 08-30-16, 06:22 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

I replaced my 18" wheels with 19" wheels and thought the ride was not appreciably different. I agree that tire choice will make a larger difference in ride than wheel size in this vehicle.
The difference between the F sport appearance package and actual F sport is that the appearance package only looks like an F sport. It does not have the stiffer shocks and lateral dampers or 8 speed transmission of a real F sport and . Those changes are the main differences.
Old 08-30-16, 07:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My RX had the 18s, which I opted for just because I preferred the 5 spoke wheel over the 19" wheel. However, I have driven another RX extensively that had the 19"s, and did not notice a difference in ride quality.
Old 08-30-16, 07:34 AM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The only RX I've been in is the one we own, an F-Sport. However, as smooth and comfortable as it is, I can't imagine how anyone could ever call it harsh. Even if it is marginally firmer than a non-F, it can't be that bad.

Quick Reply: 18 or 19 inch wheels