RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 review (in Malaysia)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 07:29 AM
stevecd9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 review (in Malaysia)

I had tested the new 2010 RX350 in my country. My first test drive was during end March and the second round was during end April. After both the test ride, I feel kind of disappointed in so many way if I was to compare to my first generation RX300.

Pricing : 1/10
The current selling price in our country is about USD 107,000. Yes, you didn;t read it wrong and i didn't type it wrong. Partial such a high price is due to our local G. imposing import duty and the B.S tax on all import car (Generally the tax for import car are 300% of the car value).

Exterior : 9/10
This is a very subjective view. I love the new outlook. It does to me look kinf of futuristic. Some say that the front looks like a Toyota Vios, well, I kinda of agree to it so I deduct a point out of it. Other than that it looks cool. The HID that come with the head lamp are bright and good with the adaptive system. I try it during a night time , and ,"Wow" it is really fantastic. Bright and make the road shine.
Another plus things is the power boot door that come with jam protection. I try to have the boot door close while standing at the boot area to simulate the effect of what will happen if the boot are close when my kids around. Frankly, the sensor are good , i feel only a slight pinch that are not hurting at all. A plus for it

Interior : 3/10 (for Malaysia version)
:7 /10 (for all other country model)

I put two score because from all the info that I gather from this website, the Malaysia version are totally S.U.C.K. Let me explain a bit. Due to the Japanese instruction , all Malaysia version are not equipped with NAV system.It is so bias that NAV system are not even list as optional accessories. Hence, there is no rear view monitor, no bluetooh , No HU. Then on the sound system, is only come with a premier sound system. I did a sound check, to me the sound quality is only consider below average. I got so many base . I had tune it down the base volume to the minimum and yet it still sound bad.
The cockpit design is nice. It looks very fantastic. It have a nice view , clear meter panel and again, i just blue meter panel design so a plus for it.
The seat are ok, but the center console are somehow quite annoying. The design link from center console towards the gear shift **** area. I am kind of a big size guy so that panel link are kind of blocking how my legs/knee . Is quite annoying when I am turning left. The body weight will lean on the left knee and leg and then further lean to the center panel link. Not good.
The back seat are kind of feel smaller as compare to the 1st generation RX300. On the RX300, the rear seat are very spacey. I remember once that I am driving RX300 with 4 passenger and still feel ok. But with the new Rx350, with 3 passenger on the back seat, it feel quite tight. Then the boot area, it is small to be compare to rx300. The curve down design of the rx350 did shrink down the compartment size of the boot. Plus the spec here come with a full size spare tires. Due to that, the full size tires cover had to "pop" out from the boot floor. That's looks funny and further shrink down the usable space.

Performance : 5/10
The new design engine the 2GR-FE well to me I think it is tune for a less exciting performance. I mean it does deliver a smooth rides, but I think the RX are being branded as a sporty SUV in my country and frankly, I didn't feel any sporty in it. I get my friend to take my Rx300 and we do a rolling start on 60km.h to about 140km/h. Well, let me put it this way, my old Rx300 with about 300,000km on it beats the new rx350 hand down. By the end of the "drag" my old RX300 are almost 4 car length ahead of the RX350. For a bigger capacity engine being beat down by a old 3litre RX300, that's a big shame. FYI , I didn't have any performance upgrade on my old Rx300. Everything are left stock except the suspension.
The brake does seems better than my old Rx300. With stock brakes system, the new RX350 able to brake shorter than a RX300. The VDIM seems good. There is once I brake hard when I go through a wet spot and the car just stick to road well enough. With the old RX300 on same test, the car will wobble a bit and giving you the "O-o I am going to spun" feeling.
The gearbox design, nothing special about it. In fact I feel there are sluggish when you try to engage gear manually. The old RX300 can engage gear smoothly and the transition are quick, but the new RX350, there are a moment of hesitation when gear shifting. Not really responsive I would say.
Ride Comfort : 4/10
The the ride comfort. The ride are quite unpleasant moment. The road and engine noise are totally unacceptable. It is very noisy when I am cruising around 110km/h to 120km/h . On my RX300, the noise are very minor. I still remember how I appreciate the quietness of the engine after it is turn on. Virtually, I can't hear the engine are on if I am in a open area with traffic. But the new RX350, thumbs way low down. (FYI, the RX300 that I owe are branded under Toyota not Lexus, so one could expect that its build quality is not as great as Lexus).Sadly, the RX350 doesn;t live up to that expectation of smooth and quietness. (BOO)
Then the soft suspension setup that Toyota love it, well, to the Toyota/Lexus designer, you all better start changing how your view. I mean a really soft spring is good for a short flat road journey. For a long journey drive on a highway with uneven surface the SUV seem bouncing left right center. I had a semi long journey ( About 120km) well, I drive the way to the destination and the sales man drove the way back with me sitting at the rear seat. I have headache on my way back because the car bounce so much that it make me wanted to throw out. The old Rx300 does have the same problem. But I corrected it when I install suspension form TRD. Since then, the ride comfort of my old R300 are just superb.

Overall : 4/10 (For Malaysia Model)
: 7/10 (For other country model)

Overall I still would say that the new Rx350 is a good car .If you are owning it the first time, well I guess there will be no question this is going one of the best rides in your life. But I guess for those that had own a 1st Generation Rx300 before, well I guess I would say most will not be very impress with the new RX350 if one were to compare to the Rx300. As for Malaysian that planning to own one, it is definitely not worth it. Look in this way , a USD107K SUV that have no fancy interior equipment, full of engine and road noise, and always bouncing ,well that really can;t justify a money well spent. Some might ask will I get one? Personally I wouldn;t but since my company decided to buy one to replace my old RX300,I might as well have it. But I am so unwillingly to let go my old RX300 because the car had serve me well for 10 long year . Yes indeed , I have the car since 1999 till now and there are not many problem I encounter. I just hope the new RX350 will do so , keeping my finger cross on it.

p/s: The above review are solely based on my opinion. If it offense anyone, I apology for it

Last edited by stevecd9; 05-05-09 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-05-09, 09:29 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Quite surprised with your reports. I guess I should test-drive JDM model next time to get some feelings out of it. I know their models got some different features and setup.

I can see why that price is sky-high out there. Many of ppl in US hardly appreciate the price of vehicles/gasoline and keep complaining they're expensive.
Old 05-05-09, 10:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Price are so high out there because they have a road tax, they use that money to fix the transportation infra-struction.
Old 05-05-09, 11:26 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Price are so high out there because they have a road tax, they use that money to fix the transportation infra-struction.
Road tax is part of it, but isn't the main reason to make this price so high, IMO. I believe it's due to the import duty.

PHP Code:
MODEL DESCRIPTIONLEXUS RX 350
MODEL CODE
GSU35R-AWAGKW

REGISTRATION TYPE     INDIVIDUAL 
PRIVATE     COMPANY PRIVATE

RM     RM
Selling Price               374
,230.40             374,230.40
Registration Fee            300.00                     500.00
Road Tax 
(1year)            2,369.60               2,369.60
Puspakom Inspection Fee     50.00             50.00
Ownership Endorsement Fee  50.00             50.00
Retail Price without Insuran 377
,000.00     377,200.00
Insurance Premium 
(12 months)     10,038.50     10,592.43
On
-The-Road Price with Insurance     387,038.50     387,792.43
Sum Insured               374
,000.00             374,000.00 
Note: 374,000 MYR is about $106,322 USD now.

Its annual Road Tax, 2,369.60 MYR is only about $674 USD.
Old 05-05-09, 07:47 PM
stevecd9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes indeed. THe high price are due to import tax , excise duty and blah blah blah things of tax which no one here understand about it. The money that are gather from the tax ARE NOT being used to rectify the road condition. In fact, I would say , all the highway here are on toll system. On average if you travel around the KL(Main capital) area the toll fee should be around USD 5/day. Fuel price here is not super cheap, is about USD 0.5/Little.