RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-09, 08:13 AM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cougs,

HAHA. Reason 3 on the con's. I am in the same boat. If it was my wifes car, NO TINT.
Old 05-10-09, 08:29 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoCougs
We just purchased our Starfire pearl last week. First thing I did was get the front windows tinted.

Washington law is 35% on the front windows. I went with a Madico Charcool 35% and it matches up very nicely from the outside while staying legal.

The interesting part is the solar-green front glass gives the windows an greenish tint on the inside looking out. The wife loves it with the cashmere interior though!

Came out very nicely... Used a high quality, local shop. Could have used 3M material, but it was significantly thinner and just appeared lower quality than the Madico.

Lifetime warranty on everything.

Could you tell us what was the cost of the tinting? Did you get the little front triangle windows also tinted? Thanks!
Old 05-10-09, 09:01 AM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

Standard price in the Seattle area is $120 for the front windows. I paid $10 each extra for the winglets.

Yes, I did the winglets. At first, we were not going to, but when the front tint was done, it didn't look right without them done (at least in my opinion).
Old 05-10-09, 10:44 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Standard price in the Seattle area is $120 for the front windows. I paid $10 each extra for the winglets.

Yes, I did the winglets. At first, we were not going to, but when the front tint was done, it didn't look right without them done (at least in my opinion).
Did they remove your front doors' insides panels to put the tints on?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-09, 11:48 AM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

absolutely. There is the panel as well as a trim peice that needed to be removed. They 'hung' the panel off such as to not have to worry about any of the electronics.

They outlined the window to cut the tint from the outside as a template. Left an overhang to run below.

Also note - they ran the tint to the edge of the glass - not leaving the border that you sometimes see. He then 'filed' the edge of the tint to smooth it all out. The tint looks like it's part of the glass.

He did a fantastic job.
Old 05-10-09, 12:02 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, pretty thorough works. Hope we can get such responsible tint guy out here.

Thanks for your confirmation.
Old 05-11-09, 10:53 AM
ajs
Driver

absolutely. There is the panel as well as a trim peice that needed to be removed. They 'hung' the panel off such as to not have to worry about any of the electronics.

They outlined the window to cut the tint from the outside as a template. Left an overhang to run below.

Also note - they ran the tint to the edge of the glass - not leaving the border that you sometimes see. He then 'filed' the edge of the tint to smooth it all out. The tint looks like it's part of the glass.

He did a fantastic job.
YIKES!!! the door panels had to be removed??? Usually they can just slip the film below the lower rubber seals without having to disassemble anything.
Old 05-11-09, 03:46 PM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

I'm no pro-tinter...

My .02 on NOT removing the door panel is that you are begging for problems in the long term. NOT removing the panel and in the case of the RX - the trim peice that has the window seal -- is a very bad idea.

I'm sure on some cars you can do the job by just pulling back on that seal - but I sure wouldn't want that.

The door panel pops off with ease. The trim peice pops right up. If your installer knows what he is doing (mine did) - it literally took 12 seconds to pop the panel loose and let it 'hang' with the wires still attached.

If you own a new Lexus and your tinter does NOT remove the panel - I'd be worried. Otherwise, you're not going to get eough of the tint film below the seal or you will get it below the seal, but how will they ensure it's holding to the window?

Again, I'm no pro... but not removing the panel is not an option in my opinion - at least if you want a high quality job that will last the abuse from a daily driver and a wife who loves the starbuck's drive through.
Old 05-11-09, 03:59 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajs
YIKES!!! the door panels had to be removed??? Usually they can just slip the film below the lower rubber seals without having to disassemble anything.
A lot of tints guys do remove them. It's painful. My previous car door panels made noise after tinting. I don't like it either, but it seems they usually can work out the better results of tinting after removing doors panels.
Old 05-11-09, 08:39 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Removing the door panels. Now, that makes sense, except you have to have a complete trust in a complete stranger, not a certified Lexus mechanic, to take the door apart and put it back in the same condition.

I have to agree, simply slipping the tint inside the door is not going to make the bond very strong. I had the tint replaced 3 times on the front windows of my 05 MDX because after 4-5 months it would start pealing off from the bottom, mostly after cold weather and rolling down the windows.
Old 05-11-09, 11:51 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

But wouldn't a Lexus dealer be able to do all that stuff?
Old 05-12-09, 06:56 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lex
Sometimes price is the main factor. If my dealer can do the same quality/material/price as the outsides vendor I've been aware of, I'll love to give them this job because the local dealer will cover this tints' warranty, too.
Old 05-12-09, 09:59 AM
ajs
Driver

Originally Posted by lex
I don't think so. Most Lexus Dealers are not in the window tinting business.
Old 05-12-09, 11:08 AM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

Take it to the Lexus dealer. You'll pay twice as much and they just farm it out to the same person you could go directly to in order to get it done.

Ask your dealer for who they 'recommend'. Ask the local Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes dealer who they recommend as well.

You'll get a name or two you can trust.
Old 05-13-09, 03:07 PM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

So, found a place in Salem, Oregon that is well respected. Likely going to get a 20%ish match. Will post pics as soon as its done.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting