RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX impressions after 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 01:50 PM
alfaxtc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX impressions after 2 weeks

I picked up my 2010 black on cashmare, Nav., premium package and comfort package. The car is great and has nothing to do with 2009 2nd gen. model. The new nav system is easy to use with the "touch mouse". I was hoping to get one w/ the sport package, but none of the dealers in NJ had one in stock. Apparently there won't be that many coming to the east coast according to the dealers here.

As great as it is there are somethings that I have no idea what they were thinking of!

1. The are no 12v outlets that are easily accessible. They are all located in the center storage bin. WTF?!?!?!? I now have no where to plug in my radar detector. Not that I smoke, but there should be an ashtray with a cigarette lighter in the spot just in front of the cup holders. Why do we have to go digging for a plug if we want to charge say our cell phone?

2. I've got the 12 speaker system and its no where near as great sounding as the standard sound system I had in my 2006 IS350 or for that matter my 2004 IS300. What gives? The MArk Levinson system was again no where to be found in any NJ dealerships.

3. I find the auto dimming outside rearview mirrors to be annoying and hard to see at night. I like the center rearview mirror that's auto dimming, but no the side mirrors.

4. This car needs more power! Lexus should of up it to 300hp. The car has gotten heavier and thus less powerful then the previous model. Either that or I'm still use to the power in my IS350

5. You think these car manufacturers would of found a way to let us override the nav while in motion. Make us sign a waiver or something. My 2006 IS350 you can override the nav and it was great if you needed to enter the address on the go. Or better yet the seats have weight sensors why not unlock the nav when there is a passenger so they can at least access the nav?
Old 04-09-09, 02:38 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alfaxtc

3. I find the auto dimming outside rearview mirrors to be annoying and hard to see at night. I like the center rearview mirror that's auto dimming, but no the side mirrors.

5. You think these car manufacturers would of found a way to let us override the nav while in motion. Make us sign a waiver or something. My 2006 IS350 you can override the nav and it was great if you needed to enter the address on the go. Or better yet the seats have weight sensors why not unlock the nav when there is a passenger so they can at least access the nav?
I haven't taken delivery yet of my 2010 RX- so some questions:

Do the outside mirrors fold? On a how-to-video at lexus.com there is supposedly a button on the upper right mirror control (on the door) that does this. I thought it was only with the Lux package, but the video did not say it was "only if equipped".

The nav: I thought you can use your voice to change navigation directions. I also thought a benefit of Nav with the XM traffic was so that you can change the route if you run into traffic. My dealer said you can change the Nav while driving. No?
Old 04-10-09, 05:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The voice command for nav. is hit or miss at best, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
The new RX is 300 pounds heavier and yet only 5 more HP. I agree with alfaxtc, they should have put the 3.5 L direct injection engine in there and bump the HP up to 305.
Have anyone heard the new Mark Levison system in the 2010 RX yet, if its anything like the ML in the 09, its not worth the money. The RX have one of the worst sound system in a luxury SUV IMO.
The Nav. lockout is just Lexus' way of beeing a PITA.
Old 04-10-09, 01:38 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
The voice command for nav. is hit or miss at best, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
The new RX is 300 pounds heavier and yet only 5 more HP. I agree with alfaxtc, they should have put the 3.5 L direct injection engine in there and bump the HP up to 305.
Have anyone heard the new Mark Levison system in the 2010 RX yet, if its anything like the ML in the 09, its not worth the money. The RX have one of the worst sound system in a luxury SUV IMO.
The Nav. lockout is just Lexus' way of beeing a PITA.
Have you actually tested the new Voice Command system on the new RX? I doubt it. It is not "hit or miss" as you describe it. I think it is vastly improved over the old one. It not only recognizes commands but it is also more user friendly. Regarding the nav. lockout, I don't see this as a big hindrance since the voice command system works so well. In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry. All it takes is one moment of lack of concentration in your driving, and you could be killed.

As far as power is concerned, if you want a 0-60 time of less than 5 seconds, then don't bother buying an SUV. I think the new RX has plenty of power and acceleration.

Finally, I have not tested an RX350 with the Mark Levinson system, but if the ML on my LS460L is any indication, then it is hard to beat. I love it.
Old 04-10-09, 01:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Have you actually tested the new Voice Command system on the new RX? I doubt it. It is not "hit or miss" as you describe it. I think it is vastly improved over the old one. It not only recognizes commands but it is also more user friendly. Regarding the nav. lockout, I don't see this as a big hindrance since the voice command system works so well. In my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry. All it takes is one moment of lack of concentration in your driving, and you could be killed.

As far as power is concerned, if you want a 0-60 time of less than 5 seconds, then don't bother buying an SUV. I think the new RX has plenty of power and acceleration.

Finally, I have not tested an RX350 with the Mark Levinson system, but if the ML on my LS460L is any indication, then it is hard to beat. I love it.
Interesting points. From what others have said, yes, the voice command is much better; I'd like to try the casual speech feature myself. The NAVI lockout remains the same argument, suffice to say like other models, if it is extremely bothersome, there will probably be aftermarket override modules. As for the ML system, the LS system has typically been the best one (and it is the flagship after all); the 2RX system received good reviews but was not at the same level. I am interested in testing the new ML system; from what I read the 3RX is available with multiple sound system options, but as stated by the OP, not all are necessarily available in each region. For the 2010 model, the new specifications probably make a significant improvement:

2RX ML system: 11 speakers and 210 watts max at less than 0.1% THD, 20-20,000 Hz max

3RX ML system: 15-speakers and 330 watts max at less than 0.1% THD, 20-20,000 Hz max, 7.1-channel architecture

Last edited by encore888; 04-10-09 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add specs
Old 04-11-09, 11:12 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

4. This car needs more power! Lexus should of up it to 300hp. The car has gotten heavier and thus less powerful then the previous model. Either that or I'm still use to the power in my IS350
i test drove the 2010 RX350, and i too was also disappointed at the lack of power. i guess i'm just used to the power of my 450h. i am waiting to test drive the RX450h when it comes out this summer. i am hoping the performance would be more inspiring that the regular RX350.
Old 04-12-09, 06:00 PM
pattypom22
Driver School Candidate

I just got the 2010 RX 350 last week with a navigation system. If I click my mouse on audio for music, it quickly defaults back to the map. I like keeping it on music text so I can see the name of the song, but it won't stay there even after I messed around with the settings. I also liked the backup camera on my Nissan Quest much better. There is too much of a fish eye effect with the camera and yet I can't see the divider parking lines in a parking spot. I was able to see them with my Nissan Quest. Also, the Quest had a backup beeping sound and yellow edges as I got too close to another car. The Lexus I have does not. If I realized all this, I would not have gotten the Lexus. I feel like I'm at a real disadvantage here.
Old 04-12-09, 06:13 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ You should've test drove the car before you bought it.
Old 04-13-09, 12:16 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pattypom22
I just got the 2010 RX 350 last week with a navigation system. If I click my mouse on audio for music, it quickly defaults back to the map. I like keeping it on music text so I can see the name of the song, but it won't stay there even after I messed around with the settings. I also liked the backup camera on my Nissan Quest much better. There is too much of a fish eye effect with the camera and yet I can't see the divider parking lines in a parking spot. I was able to see them with my Nissan Quest. Also, the Quest had a backup beeping sound and yellow edges as I got too close to another car. The Lexus I have does not. If I realized all this, I would not have gotten the Lexus. I feel like I'm at a real disadvantage here.
Parking sensors are available on Lexus models too, you probably just didn't order a car with parking sensors (parking sensors do the beeping)
Old 04-13-09, 01:29 AM
*wishlist*
Driver

are you sure you changed the settings to not default back to map while on audio/climate screen? you should be able to change that. hope this purchase wasn't just an impulse buy.
Old 04-13-09, 04:00 AM
pattypom22
Driver School Candidate

Default a little disappointd

I have my 2010 RX350 for two weeks now. I am somewhat disappointed in the Nav/backup camera setup. 1) The nav defaults back to map when I click on music text. I like to see what songs are playing. 2) I had a Nissan Quest with a better backup camera! My Lexus doesn't beep when backing up, and it doesn't have any yellow or red edges as I get too close to a car. I also feel that the camera view is way too fisheye and distorted. Yet, in a parking spot, I am not able to see the lines on either side of the spot. As a matter of fact, when the mirrors tilt down when I back up, I still cannot see the parking lines. Therefore, this Lexus does not aid in parking. I miss my Quest. The Lexus does drive nicely, but I feel that the side mirrors on the doors are placed too high.
Old 04-13-09, 06:05 AM
2010RX
Driver School Candidate

It is true that when the mirrors tilt down, they do not allow you to see the lines in a parking space or the curb (when parallel parking), Lexus could have done a better job with that one. Predictive guide lines on the nav screen for where the car is going are also conspiciously absent. I expected more from Lexus here.

However, I would not say that Lexus does not help with parking. The tilt-down mirrors do give a better idea of what is to the side of the car when backing in or parallel parking. I have found this quite useful in tight parking spaces or spaces where there is a low post by the curb I do not want to drive into.

Parking sensors are an available standalone option. Lexus calls it intuitive parking assist. I think there is also a camera system which will allow you to better see the side of the car, as well as the lines in the parking space if you want this functionality.

I personally like the voice command for navigation and prefer to enter addresses by voice as opposed to manually. Instead of unlocking the Navigation while driving, I would prefer if they installed another voice button in the passenger cabin so my wife can enter destinations by voice while we're driving.

As a side note, XM NavTraffic is totally worthless for me. You would think that it would at least be well-functioning in NY/NJ. This weekend, I found myself sitting in traffic in the NJ turnpike. XM dutifully reported that there was no traffic information available for my route.
Old 04-13-09, 11:14 AM
kiddofun
Driver School Candidate

" 1) The nav defaults back to map when I click on music text. I like to see what songs are playing."

PattyPom: Press Menu button, select Setup, select General, select Auto Screen Change and turn it off, select Save or it won't save this setting.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-13-09, 11:57 AM
picker
Driver School Candidate

> Press Menu button, select Setup, select General, select Auto Screen Change and turn it off
Old 04-13-09, 08:35 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Try turning off the Auto button on the rearview mirror.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX impressions after 2 weeks