RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 Ipod Adapter?

Old 04-08-09, 11:05 AM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX 350 Ipod Adapter?

Hello everyone,

Just picked up a new 2010 RX 350. My dealer knew little to nothing about the Ipod integration system. I had to call another dealership to get some answers. It turns out I need a specific adapter to plug my Ipod into my car (I don't want to use the bluetooth function on my Iphone). He said the adapter can be purchased at Radio Shack, but did not know what it was called or had any details for me.

Can anyone tell me what adapter exactly I need to purchase in order to use my Ipod with my new Lexus? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-09, 11:26 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Congrats!

I recently tested out my Ipod with the 2010 Lexus RX350. I just used my USB cable that came with the Ipod. The plug is inside the armrest under the storage bin.

Who did you purchase the lexus from if you dont mind me asking?
Old 04-08-09, 12:23 PM
johnpg
Rookie

This is what you need.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA...Q&mco=MzUwMzA4

You can either use your existing cable, or buy a new one. You'll probably want to buy one specifically for the car though because you'll still need one for your computer.

You can get these pretty much at any electronics store like Best Buy or of course an Apple Store.

John
Old 04-08-09, 02:22 PM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

well, here is what happened.

i first plugged in my ipod nano (2nd generation, aluminum) into the usb port. i immediately got a "ok to disconnect" sign" and could not access any of the buttons on the nano itself. the "ok to disconnect" message remained. i'm assuming once you connect your ipod to the lexus, all the controls go through the lexus dashboard.

i was able to scroll through songs currently in my playlist via the seek button below my navigation screen and also the steering wheel up/down commands, however i was limited to playing just the playlist that was already cued up when i initially plugged the nano into the lexus. i looked in my manual and they said you can access songs using the big **** to the right. however pushing this in does nothing and moving it in any direction only skipped to the previous or next song in my playlist. if i turned it several notches in one direction, it would just skip over that many songs. i was unable to do anything but go back and forth on that specific playlist. if i wanted to play an album, i'd have to disconnect the nano, find the album, press play on a track, and then connect it to the lexus.

but it gets worse. i wanted to use my 60 GB ipod (4th generation). i connected it to the lexus, didn't work, then i realized after reading the manual that it doesn't support my ipod version (too old).

so......

before i splurge for a new ipod, can someone tell me if i'll be forced to experience my ipod and lexus in a similar fashion as i did with my nano? i find it both odd and frustrating that i can't access my songs (as was the case with my nano). the manual gives me the impression that i should be able to access my collection using the big **** on the right hand side.

any confirmation on any of this would be great. especially if you are currently using your lexus with apple's current ipod (ipod classic, 120 GB's).

thanks.
Old 04-09-09, 03:40 PM
kiddofun
Driver School Candidate

If you go into the audio and then the usb tab on the nav screen after connecting your ipod, then select the menu button on this screen, you should see tabs for playlists, song, artists, just like on your ipod. Then you can navigate through these. I have a new ipod touch and it works fine. The only thing I can't figure out is how to quickly move through the list, instead of just moving forward 5 at a time.

Maybe older ipods don't work, especially if they had firewire connection, but I think any newer ones with usb will work.
Old 04-09-09, 04:01 PM
johnpg
Rookie

kiddofun: Just want to make sure. You *can* navigate to that screen and change playlists or albums while the car is in motion, right?

Cheers,
John
Old 04-09-09, 04:04 PM
mizzouman6
Driver School Candidate

Default Does the RX let you shuffle the playlist

I'm looking to buy the 2010 RX 350 in the next month or two. So far I haven't heard whether the iPod integration supports shuffling a playlist. Any info?
Old 04-10-09, 10:46 AM
kiddofun
Driver School Candidate

John: Yes you can navigate through the screens to choose different playlist, songs, artists, podcasts, audiobooks with the mouse while driving.

mizzouman6: There is a "rand" button for randomly shuffling, although I haven't used it yet.
Old 04-10-09, 05:09 PM
johnpg
Rookie

kiddofun: Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 04-10-09, 08:57 PM
blairh
Driver School Candidate

kiddofun,

thanks so much for that. yes you are right, that is all i needed to do. it's quite amazing really. once i could see all my music, it really made me feel like the navigation screen really is a computer too. simply amazing. i'm so happy.

my only gripe is this: when i browse through songs, albums, playlists, it automatically start to play the first song immediately from whatever i currently have open, even if i'm not selecting to play it. so if i just highlight "coldplay", it will play track 1 from whatever is the first album listed. or if i highlight a playlist, song 1 from it start to play. it's annoying, but the solution is to just mute the music. unless someone has any suggestions.
Old 04-11-09, 06:27 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

There was a change made recently by Apple to its connector plug. From what I read, the pins that carry the charging current were changed for the iPhone, the iPod Touch and maybe even for the new Nano. I don't have any of those (yet), but my recollection from reading commentary is that these devices will still operate the same when plugged into an external device, but the battery will not charge. To do that you need an adapter.
No one knows why Apple did this.
If you have one of the newer devices, this may be an issue, so do your own investigation so that you do not run the battery down while thinking that it is charging up.
Old 04-11-09, 09:16 AM
picker
Driver School Candidate

> There was a change made recently by Apple to its connector plug.

yes, the firewire port and firewire charging are no longer an option on newer ipods. Most people use usb for data and charging anyway, and usb is in your car too so you are all set.
Old 04-14-09, 04:28 PM
delgross
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for any iphone readers of this thread. The manual excludes the iphone
as a supported device and my personal experience is that it does not work
ED
Old 04-14-09, 04:42 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a Iphone that is about 1.5 years old and it works fine on the bluetooth and on the USB port it will play the music on the system. The older Iphones do not have bluetooth for the audio section so that part will not work but the music will play fine thru the USB port just as in a computer hookup. it is true that Lexus And Apple do not show (as of yet) support but my experience has been that it all works fine this way. Hope this helps some of the phone users.
Old 05-09-09, 08:38 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnpg
This is what you need.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA...Q&mco=MzUwMzA4

You can either use your existing cable, or buy a new one. You'll probably want to buy one specifically for the car though because you'll still need one for your computer.

You can get these pretty much at any electronics store like Best Buy or of course an Apple Store.

John
OK... I have to buy this...

Thanks, John.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 Ipod Adapter?