RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: How impressed are you? (Scale of 4)
1- The Redesign was a failure - The second generation is better.
12.16%
2 - Uhm you call that an IMPROVEMENT? Not worth the pricey packages at MSRP.
13.51%
3 - It was improved moderately. I'm impressed. I wouldn't jump the gun that quick though.
48.65%
4 - Wow, when I saw it, it was amazing. Its a brand new, better car!
25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

How Impressed are You on the Redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 06:12 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Impressed are You on the Redesign?

Anyways I just saw the new '10 RX in person after going back to the dealer to clean things up with my previous lease ('06 GX)

I must say, on a scale of 10 of how big of an improvement the third generation is, I would rate it a 7.

Here are some pros and cons.
The leather feels better. The interior looks great in beige (I have a black '09 RX). The curved center stack struck me as more modern.
Overall the interior felt more refined and upgraded.

The outside, wasn't that great. The exterior dimensions feel like they've expanded and you definitely can feel it on the inside. However, I'm not feeling the design of the new curves and lines. Like the grille though. The back of the car was so-so, but felt like it came from the Mazda CX9.

Overall I'm impressed, how about you guys?
Old 03-23-09, 07:16 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meowmix52
Anyways I just saw the new '10 RX in person after going back to the dealer to clean things up with my previous lease ('06 GX)

I must say, on a scale of 10 of how big of an improvement the third generation is, I would rate it a 7.

Here are some pros and cons.
The leather feels better. The interior looks great in beige (I have a black '09 RX). The curved center stack struck me as more modern.
Overall the interior felt more refined and upgraded.

The outside, wasn't that great. The exterior dimensions feel like they've expanded and you definitely can feel it on the inside. However, I'm not feeling the design of the new curves and lines. Like the grille though. The back of the car was so-so, but felt like it came from the Mazda CX9.

Overall I'm impressed, how about you guys?
Based on my test drive a few weeks ago and several other sudies of the car at the Dealer, I would say the following:

1. I love the interior design and looks (give it a 9.5. nothing is perfect).
2. I love the technology (9.5).
3. I love the comfort and overall ride. (9.5).
4. I would give the exterior styling a 7. The reart looks better than the front.
Old 03-26-09, 12:32 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Based on my test drive a few weeks ago and several other sudies of the car at the Dealer, I would say the following:

1. I love the interior design and looks (give it a 9.5. nothing is perfect).
2. I love the technology (9.5).
3. I love the comfort and overall ride. (9.5).
4. I would give the exterior styling a 7. The reart looks better than the front.
Gotta agree with the sentiment, interior is very good, tech is great, comfort and ride is right up there. Now as to the exterior...... I think the 7 is being a bit generous. I would give it no more than a 5, and that's because the rear is tastefully done, the rest pretty much is either really boring or in the case of the chipmunk on steroids nose - sucks. My opinion (and the wife's)
Old 03-26-09, 03:43 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orzel
Gotta agree with the sentiment, interior is very good, tech is great, comfort and ride is right up there. Now as to the exterior...... I think the 7 is being a bit generous. I would give it no more than a 5, and that's because the rear is tastefully done, the rest pretty much is either really boring or in the case of the chipmunk on steroids nose - sucks. My opinion (and the wife's)
Orzel, I am with you word for word on the exterior appearance. The rear does look much better. I give the interior a 4 at best. I miss all the handsome wood of the second generation. Technology is a high 9. Comfort and ride a 7. Noise a 6.
Old 03-27-09, 06:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I wouldnt even give the tech a 9, all the tech they have in the new RX has been around for years. The only new tech is the mouse control and the jury is still out on that.
Old 03-27-09, 12:14 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

We had a chance to really play with the mouse control and I have to admit that it was very easy to get used to, intuitive, and accurate. I'd be very happy to have it on either of our current Lexus (Lexi???).
Old 03-27-09, 12:15 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Easier than your pointing your finger?
Old 03-27-09, 12:20 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Easier than your pointing your finger?
Ya gotta go try it for more than a few minutes. I'd have to say yes, faster, and much more intuitive to use. I found that I could whiz about the screen quicker and had better control where it landed as opposed to the original way we used the touch. Of course, the screen is different and the software is updated to be able to take advantage of the mouse movements, and the mouse has almost like detents to let you know where you are. Just one persons opinion though.
Old 03-29-09, 12:23 AM
Senin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually waited on buying until the 2010's came out. I always loved the RX's design. I wanted to buy one in 09 but kept hearing, they are changing. So I waited. I saw the new design on the internet and immediately did not like the changes (exterior, which is important to me). But photos aren't everything, maybe things will be different in real life. So I finally saw one. I immediately hated the new headlights. It made the front bumper disappear. I always felt the RX was a bit on the girlie side to begin with (wish it could macho up a bit with running boards or something), and the new design makes it seem even more girlie. I am sure it is my imagination, but the new design seems more sloped-- more like a station wagon than a SUV.

Anyway, I didn't like the 2010 so I bought a new 2009.
Old 03-29-09, 09:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I give it an 8 overall. Nice interior and dash curves. Back end is cleaner now. What I dislike most is the chipmunk look of the front end that someone mentioned. There is basically no front bumper to this vehicle. Must have the world's greatest approach angle. Looks cheap, unfinished, and unsubstantial. I loaded up luxury vehicle should show some mass and presence in this area.
Old 03-30-09, 05:31 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the interior change, but not the exterior that much...
Old 04-04-09, 06:21 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I see the '10, the more I like it!
Old 04-04-09, 09:12 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw and sat inside a 2010 RX, when I first sat inside, it reminded me of Venza's interior
which is a good and bad thing depending on your taste, the leather feels a lot cheaper
than a 09. The outside looks ok, the line feels smoother but I like the 2nd gen a bit more
better
Old 04-06-09, 12:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
The more I see the '10, the more I like it!
I am the opposite, the more 2010 RX I see, I less and less I like the new look.
Old 04-06-09, 12:57 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am the opposite, the more 2010 RX I see, I less and less I like the new look.
Gotta agree. There is something asymetrical about the whole exterior. To me, it's like several vehicles were grafted together, and not very well at that. The 'dead cat' space above the tires is way to big, the IS wants it's grill and snout back, and the sides, if you ignore the front and rear quarter, are reminiscent of the Highlander. Not what I'd call an especially 'fetching' package.

Quick Reply: How Impressed are You on the Redesign?