RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

REAR DVD Entertainment?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 12:25 PM
johnisccp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAR DVD Entertainment?????

I want to get the 2010 Lexus RX350 with REAR DVD Entertainmnet for my kids. Has anyone use to have it in their RX? Is there a link or video to show how the rear dvd entertainment work?

Thanks
Old 03-18-09, 12:36 PM
jjl12
Rookie

From Lexus' website:

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/featu...nt_system.html

Info and a video.
Old 03-18-09, 01:41 PM
johnisccp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks jjl12. Did you have one in your car. I would like hear what people have to say about Lexus rear dvd entertainment.

Thanks
Old 03-18-09, 02:27 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i dont think many people will have this option...yet.

its a pretty costly item, though it is because you get a whole lot of other items with it, like the navigation.

it will be two HD screens placed behind the front headrests, and im pretty sure that you would put the dvd into the front CD player.
Old 03-18-09, 03:21 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that package costs around 5 grand but also comes with HDD Navigation. I personally think it is just a better deal to get a portable DVD player for the lap and save the 3 grand to buy a 60 inch plasma tv at home.
Old 03-18-09, 03:35 PM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

From what I heard while shopping for my '04 several years ago, and for a '10 over the past few weeks, the DVD remains a rare and expensive option. In fact, I told the salesmen on both occasions that the DVD was the single option that was a deal breaker; I have no interest in that because I have no children at home at this time and it would not be used.
I did see one in an '04 or '05, and at that time the system was a single screen that folded down from the ceiling. In the '10 cars, it is two smaller screens set into the back of the front seat headrests.
In the Gen 2 cars, at least, it was a dealer installed option, as the salesman told me that it could be installed on any used RX that I wanted to buy. I do not know if that is still the case, but it does require the NAV up front, and that is not on every car (yet).
That's about all I know about the DVD system, but I agree that the price of portable players makes them a very attractive and much more versatile alternative. You can buy two or even three of those for less that the car-based system and have plenty of change left over.
Old 03-18-09, 06:38 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

I don't know more than anyone else on the 3rd gen's system. But I do have RSES in my 05. I got a stunning deal on it that I couldn't refuse (cost exactly the same as w/o nav). Mine is factory installed. It has a nice DVD player right above the screne. It also enables the kids to listen to AM, FM, CD, CDch (the CDs in the front 6 changer), AUX (RCA ports in back), and DVD. Another plus is that it provides an AC outlet in the back. Also, when in park with the parking brake on it will put the picture to the front screen.

Hope that was remotely helpful...lol

Last edited by lucasb7; 03-18-09 at 06:39 PM. Reason: had to finish a parenthesis :)
Old 03-18-09, 07:20 PM
tfischer

It's useful if you have kids that ride in the backseat, and you ride with them a lot. However, the universe of interested and willing purchasers is very, very small. I would be surprised if it means anything at trade-in or at selling time.
Old 03-18-09, 07:46 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Seat DVD

My 2007 Lexus has the RSES. It was part of the Nav package. I can count on one hand how many times anyone has ever used it in 2 1/2 years.

If I was to do it agian. I would just buy a pair of the NuVu video glasses and hook it up to my Iphone.
Old 03-19-09, 12:28 PM
juliee
Driver School Candidate

Post Not Worth It

I currently have the old one in my 2004 RX. When I ordered my 2010 RX, the option was $5,590....too pricey! I suggest laptops for the kids...they will be happy as clams and you will save a bundle. My salesman told me at the time I purchased my 2004 that only 2% purchase with DVD entertainment..that price then was $2,150. I think that % will drop further once people see how pricey it is now. You can purchase most of the other equipment individually and save money without having to purchase the DVD package. That's what I did on my new 2010 RX.
Old 03-19-09, 12:57 PM
tfischer

My guess, Juliee, based on my recollections of '10 pricing that I looked at recently, is that the $5,500 number is for a "package" which includes the NAV system and some other things as well. The NAV is over $2,000 by itself. Pricing is difficult these days due to the bundling of options, which is complicated by the regional ordering process.
From what I understand, dealers in a region are often sent cars with a set of options based on what people in that area have been requesting. So dealers in FL or Atlanta do not get many cars with AWD, while cars in New England are predominately AWD. Then, when they equip a car with the NAV system at the factory, they will add the ML audio also, even though those could be separate. My dealer says that all the '10 cars he has received so far have the remote start, even though it is an option. As for the RESE ("rear seat entertainment system"), who knows, but my guess is that when they do throw that into a car at the factory, they just figure it's for a big spender and throw everything else on it as well. And a new "package" is born.
But I digress. I think $5,500 is way too much for just the DVD system.
Old 03-31-09, 07:03 PM
Sungkyo
Driver

I have it and it is pretty cool. Picture is good and there are also wireless headphones that go with it

Old 04-02-09, 06:27 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Cool car!!!! If someone is playing a dvd on the rear system, can someone listen to the dvd in the front seat through the main sound system? When we ordered our 2005, the salesman indicated that it would not do it. So, we did not order the car with the dvd system in it. After the car got here, we found out that yes it would play through the main sound system. Boy, we were so disappointed.
Old 04-03-09, 03:38 PM
Sungkyo
Driver

Yep, when in park with the parking brake on it plays in the nav screen, but you can listen to it through the main system while they are watching it in the back.
Old 04-06-09, 12:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sungkyo
Yep, when in park with the parking brake on it plays in the nav screen, but you can listen to it through the main system while they are watching it in the back.

or you could get the prestigious society dvd/navi hack and:
1) watch the movie while you drive (not recommended for obvious reasons)
2) input navi destinations without having to pull over (front passenger can do this for you)

Quick Reply: REAR DVD Entertainment?????