RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

InsideLine tests RX450h...ouch!

Old 03-12-09, 12:23 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default InsideLine tests RX450h...ouch!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..2.*

Mind control is said to be beyond the reach of modern science, but there are occasions when you question the popular wisdom. Take the Lexus RX in all its forms since its introduction in 1999. There's no logical explanation why an SUV would be the best-selling model for a nameplate established to sell luxury sedans. Must be mind control, then.

Or maybe Lexus put on its collective thinking cap, hit on a popular combination of qualities and is now reaping the fruits. If this is to be believed, then the 2010 Lexus RX 450h is a logical successor to the RX 400h. In enhancing the qualities that have made the RX series such a success, the newest hybrid SUV from Lexus takes a step closer to normalcy.

It's like that movie A.I., the one in which the robotic kid just wants to be accepted as a regular boy, except we didn't abandon the RX 450h in the woods to be disassembled by self-aware toaster ovens.

Pricing Not Announced
Pricing of the 2010 Lexus RX 450h won't be announced for a few months, but it's likely to start within a pebble's throw of the outgoing RX 400h's $42,905 base price. Once you add in the optional equipment found in our front-wheel-drive RX 450h tester, we expect the asking price to crest $50,000.

This kind of cheddar needs some context. Consider that the price of the non-hybrid RX 350 starts at $37,625. When you do a simple payoff analysis based on the RX 450h's fuel savings, you will find the smart money frowns on springing for the hybrid unless you rack up enough miles to balance the equation. Our math suggests that breaking even will require you to drive the RX 450h something like 185,000 miles.

Usually hybrids deliver compelling attractions beyond fuel economy to make them worth the expense. Acceleration has historically been a hybrid perk, owing to the way a hybrid's electric motor bolsters low-end torque. Alas, the RX 450h bears some unexpected news there.

Slower Than the RX 400h
The RX 450h's hybrid powertrain develops a combined power rating of 295 horsepower — some 27 hp stronger than the RX 400h — due to the inclusion of a more powerful 245-hp 3.5-liter V6. Nevertheless, it turns out that even with a fortified engine, the 4,619-pound RX 450h proves slower than the last RX 400h we tested, itself the heavy AWD version.

The 2010 Lexus RX 450h hits 60 mph from a standstill in 7.6 seconds (7.2 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and completes the quarter-mile in 15.6 seconds at 91.8 mph, trailing the RX 400h by nearly a half-second in each category. Though certainly not slow, these results don't reflect that in routine driving the RX 450h isn't particularly eager to leap off the line unless you really give it the spurs. This lackadaisical response might be a trade-off for the RX 450h's more fuel-friendly ways.

If you're the kind of buyer who previously gravitated to the RX 400h, this drop in speed by the RX 450h will be of little concern. Same with the RX 450h's meek personality. Just as its predecessor never quickened a pulse, so, too, doctors could prescribe the RX 450h to patients as a sedative.

Where It Gets Better
OK, so the RX 450h has a pretty long payoff period and is slower than its predecessor. But don't go thinking Lexus has lost the plot with the RX 450h. Far from it — the 2010 Lexus RX 450h is exactly what it needs to be. It rides smoother than ever, and glides free of road hum or wind roar.

Lexus generally tunes its suspensions with a bias toward marshmallowy plushness. Of course, once you match the heft of the hybrid bits to this philosophy, the best you can usually hope for is a vehicle that doesn't sink to its knees and crash into the suspension's bump stops.

Fortunately the engineers at Lexus have navigated these treacherous waters admirably. They've added to the RX 450h a new double-wishbone rear suspension, not to mention a quality of suspension control that was missing in the RX 400h. The real surprise is that this suppleness doesn't fall apart on broken pavement. Although the RX's prodigious mass can be detected through the seat of your pants, it doesn't dominate your impression of the way the RX 450h travels down the road.

Practiced at the Art
While frugal with fuel, hybrids are often knocked for driving like escapees from a 1980s-era video arcade. Lexus knows this, and has lavished attention on making the hybrid-ness of the RX 450h more transparent. The regenerative brakes bite more predictably on their way to bringing this 4,619-pound SUV to a halt in 127 feet from 60 mph, and we can detect a substance to the steering that was lacking in the outgoing RX 400h.

There's also less of a jolt in the powertrain when the V6 finally fires up to help the electric motors propel the RX 450h, too. We won't go so far as to say Lexus has exorcised all the hybrid telltales in the RX 450h, but it's made noticeable progress.

Oh, and the 2010 Lexus RX 450h achieves an estimated 32 mpg city/28 mpg highway, substantially bettering the outgoing RX 400h by 8-12 percent. We logged 26 mpg overall during our testing after driving this RX through two tankfuls with a pretty heavy foot on the throttle. For a largish SUV, this is a respectable showing, and we have no doubts the RX 450h will achieve or surpass its EPA rating when driven in a more typical manner.

Touch Me Remotely
With the RX 450h, Lexus is debuting Remote Touch, its latest take on a multimedia interface for the navigation and audio controls. Instead of a twist-and-press **** like those found in German sedans, Remote Touch employs what is essentially an inverted computer mouse located on the center console. You move the flat nub around to navigate a cursor on a large, well-lit screen set back in the upper portion of the dashboard.

Haptic feedback in the nub provides texture to its action and prevents bumpy pavement from sending the cursor skewing haphazardly across the screen. Overall, the system works well once you customize it to your liking, and the ergonomics of the controller's placement are outstanding. We'd prefer if the radio presets had remained as old-fashioned buttons, though.

Elsewhere, the cabin is a mixed bag. The rear cargo area is huge, but the spaciousness of the rear seating area doesn't live up to the promise of the SUV's ample exterior dimensions. And the opinions of our editors were split on the luxury quotient of the RX 450h's interior. Too many pieces were obviously lifted from Toyota's parts bin for a Lexus-nameplate vehicle, and where are the heated seats?

Against All Odds
When you consider that it cribs attributes from SUVs, wagons, luxury cars and hybrids, the 2010 Lexus RX 450h is less than the sum of its parts. You might be expecting more from a $50,000 Lexus than the 2010 RX 450h delivers. At the same time, this perspective ignores the realities of the RX franchise's success, which can be measured by 103,340 RX sales in 2007 and 17,291 RX 400h sales in the same time period.

The new RX 450h doesn't try to woo you with an engaging personality or the ultimate in SUV capability, or even just smart fiscal conservatism. Instead, this Lexus achieves exactly what it aimed to do — polish the rough edges off the RX 400h. Straying too far from a winning formula would be foolish indeed.
man were they harsh. they didnt really mention any pros or the cool options in the video like LED headlights and the HUD. i mean its clear to me that most people are only going to watch the video.
Old 03-12-09, 11:26 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Read this and consider it par for the course for Edmunds. The article itself, and other sections of the site, regard the EPA 30 mpg as pretty good, and the observed 26 to be pretty good (and even states that this was via pretty heavy, atypical driving), but the video doesn't seem to like it. Not to mention they omit their Venza data which really was "22.6 mpg combined average, 27.5 mpg best tank, 20.0 worst tank."

Another in the list of fact-check errors..."where are the heated seats"? If so equipped they should be in the center armrest. Their first drive also claimed that "XM NavTraffic was conspicously absent from Lexus" and now the RX is the "first model in the lineup" to offer them. Um, LS 460 hello? Not to mention the misleading different year mpg comparisons for the LSh review, and other features screwups.

In the end, the article is best summarized by the Straightline blog which said that:
"Think you're going to save money on gas with the 2010 Lexus RX 450h? Well, you are, technically, but the up-front cost will render it null and void for the first decade or so of ownership. So what else is there to like about this new Lexus hybrid SUV? It's more engaging to drive than its predecessor and gets better mileage too. Engineering editor Jay Kavanagh also found the new Remote Touch driver interface quite useful. Then again, he was disappointed with the rear seat accommodations and Toyota parts-bin interior, so not all is perfect in the world of Lexus."
http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...s-rx-450h.html

In the end, it is a lukewarm review, still half positive (note the second opinion), but I find most of the criticisms as highly subjective; they come up to personality--claiming that the center storage area is the only 'hint' of it, and then the now repeated 'too Toyota like' parts claim, which I dispute in large part, from the gauge cluster to the Remote Touch to the cabin features and design.

Finally, the writer of this review, if you see his earlier Acura RDX comments, goes out and says flat-out that he is an "SUV skeptic" and he regards SUVs in general as too "compromised." So one could say perhaps that the review itself was less than the sum of its parts, especially if the writer was prejudiced from the beginning.

Meanwhile, Edmunds' review of the new 7 series lavishes praise on it, just as their review of the LS 460 was dismissive and in their own words, "perhaps we're being too harsh."

Last edited by encore888; 03-12-09 at 11:43 AM. Reason: add link
Old 03-12-09, 01:03 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by encore888
Read this and consider it par for the course for Edmunds. The article itself, and other sections of the site, regard the EPA 30 mpg as pretty good, and the observed 26 to be pretty good (and even states that this was via pretty heavy, atypical driving), but the video doesn't seem to like it. Not to mention they omit their Venza data which really was "22.6 mpg combined average, 27.5 mpg best tank, 20.0 worst tank."

Another in the list of fact-check errors..."where are the heated seats"? If so equipped they should be in the center armrest. Their first drive also claimed that "XM NavTraffic was conspicously absent from Lexus" and now the RX is the "first model in the lineup" to offer them. Um, LS 460 hello? Not to mention the misleading different year mpg comparisons for the LSh review, and other features screwups.

In the end, the article is best summarized by the Straightline blog which said that:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...s-rx-450h.html

In the end, it is a lukewarm review, still half positive (note the second opinion), but I find most of the criticisms as highly subjective; they come up to personality--claiming that the center storage area is the only 'hint' of it, and then the now repeated 'too Toyota like' parts claim, which I dispute in large part, from the gauge cluster to the Remote Touch to the cabin features and design.

Finally, the writer of this review, if you see his earlier Acura RDX comments, goes out and says flat-out that he is an "SUV skeptic" and he regards SUVs in general as too "compromised." So one could say perhaps that the review itself was less than the sum of its parts, especially if the writer was prejudiced from the beginning.

Meanwhile, Edmunds' review of the new 7 series lavishes praise on it, just as their review of the LS 460 was dismissive and in their own words, "perhaps we're being too harsh."
Encore888, you summarized the stupidity of this review very well. When I was reading it and came up to the part of "and where are the heated seats", I almost puked. As you state, there are quite a few errors in this article. As we say in Greek, this author is full of 'kaka". Did i make myself clear?
Old 03-12-09, 01:40 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Encore888, you summarized the stupidity of this review very well. When I was reading it and came up to the part of "and where are the heated seats", I almost puked. As you state, there are quite a few errors in this article. As we say in Greek, this author is full of 'kaka". Did i make myself clear?
Yeah. Assuming that the '10 RX 350 and the '10 450h have the same interior, I must say it is drastically improved. It is definitely not "too Toyota-ish" . Compared to the '09 RX interior, the seats feel much more luxurious, center console is not ugly and recessed anymore and the center stack is well, not like a stack anymore (which is a good thing). It is interesting to note that prior to the new '10 RX the '09 RX WAS sold under the Toyota nameplate of Harrier in Asian markets, so the whole entire vehicle was more like a high-end Toyota.
Old 03-12-09, 05:12 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Here's a witty quote from InsideLine : "Perhaps the only bit of personality in the RX 450h is this curious nook beneath the center console."

I think the author of this review has some kind of grudge against Lexus or the RX line in general. I really think the 450h/'10 RX is an improvement.
Old 03-12-09, 10:19 PM
ciparis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should write and tell him the Toyota Highlander also has such a curious nook (and always has). It's a conspiracy!
Old 03-12-09, 10:39 PM
hensta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They compared the '10 FWD 450h acceleration numbers to the '09 AWD 400h acceleration, indicating the '10 model is slower. The AWD has electric motors in the rear which boosts acceleration. They failed to mention this and thus their acceleration number comparison is flawed. They should compare the '10 AWD 450h to the '09 AWD 450h acceleration numbers or at least mention the expected differences.
Old 03-12-09, 10:41 PM
RXSF

2008 RX400h FWD 0-60 is 7.5 on the lexus website, so it is .01 slower
Old 03-15-09, 06:51 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why is everyone fretting over this one person's review? The RX has never (except I think for 2001, when it was MT TOTY or something) won anything that was main stream review, but still continue to sell very well so it just shows that these hog heads at these magazines and TV shows are just not in touch with the REAL main stream. Lexus will have a winner again and all the critics can continue to be critics.

Look at it this way, these magazine heads drive Corvettes, GT-R, Lamborghini, Ferraris and the likes for their reviews. After driving those things, how is a RX or LS going feel relative to those? Also, we all know they LOVE the BMW for it's handling and couldn't see past that even if a better vehicle came along because they'll always note why "something" no matter how obscure the thing is, is not better than the BMW. Then of course the raw numbers. Even if a vehicle beats a BMW on scientifically measured numbers at the course, they'll still quote some purely subjective thing like "the BMW just felt tighter around corners..."

Hey, we drive Lexus' not to please others... they are to please us... 'nuff said.
Old 03-15-09, 01:02 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Why is everyone fretting over this one person's review? The RX has never (except I think for 2001, when it was MT TOTY or something) won anything that was main stream review, but still continue to sell very well so it just shows that these hog heads at these magazines and TV shows are just not in touch with the REAL main stream. Lexus will have a winner again and all the critics can continue to be critics.

Look at it this way, these magazine heads drive Corvettes, GT-R, Lamborghini, Ferraris and the likes for their reviews. After driving those things, how is a RX or LS going feel relative to those? Also, we all know they LOVE the BMW for it's handling and couldn't see past that even if a better vehicle came along because they'll always note why "something" no matter how obscure the thing is, is not better than the BMW. Then of course the raw numbers. Even if a vehicle beats a BMW on scientifically measured numbers at the course, they'll still quote some purely subjective thing like "the BMW just felt tighter around corners..."

Hey, we drive Lexus' not to please others... they are to please us... 'nuff said.
Thank you! Very well stated.
Old 03-16-09, 06:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Look at it this way, these magazine heads drive Corvettes, GT-R, Lamborghini, Ferraris and the likes for their reviews. After driving those things, how is a RX or LS going feel relative to those?
The LS is named luxury car of the year by consumer report instead of the BMW, the RX did not make the list.
Old 03-16-09, 07:56 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
The LS is named luxury car of the year by consumer report instead of the BMW, the RX did not make the list.
How can the new RX make the list when it has just been released for sale to the public? We don't yet know how the new generation RX will do in terms of awards.

BTW, you make it sound by your statement above the RX has been a piece of crap ("the RX did not make the list"). If that's the case, I wonder why it has consistently been one of the best, if not THE best, selling SUV all these years . In any case, I believe that it did get plenty of awards since its inception.
Old 03-16-09, 09:00 AM
RXSF

the real truth: though i have owned both the 1gen and 2gen RX, and both have been superb vehicles, the truth is that they cannot even compare to the LS. on so many levels, the car is subpar. but you cant blame lexus for it because 37K is a really low asking price for such a vehicle overall. you cant find that kind of value from a luxury brand. for gosh sakes, my C class benz started at 39 and that is suppose to run with the IS. the RX is a lot more car than both of those, so you cant blame lexus for skimping out and using some hard plastics.

however, overall, the car is so many things to the family. its just a good hauler. its perfect for a family of four, its perfect for the trip to costco (wholesale place on the west coast), its perfect for that harsh rain or mild snow you may be seeing today. thats why it sells so well. it has so many different uses that are perfect for the modern suburban or city dweller.

so the car itself has not really been its strongest selling point. the car's position in the SUV category is the reason why it sells so well.
Old 03-16-09, 12:52 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How can the new RX make the list when it has just been released for sale to the public? We don't yet know how the new generation RX will do in terms of awards.

BTW, you make it sound by your statement above the RX has been a piece of crap ("the RX did not make the list"). If that's the case, I wonder why it has consistently been one of the best, if not THE best, selling SUV all these years . In any case, I believe that it did get plenty of awards since its inception.
I am sorry, where did I say the RX was a piece of crap?
Old 03-16-09, 12:57 PM
meowmix52
Driver

He probably meant the old RX. The 3rd Generation certainly won't be getting any design awards... basically a carryover from second generation with some new gadgets.

The RX is bestselling, like someone else said, not because it has the best features, but simply because it is affordable for potential luxury vehicle buyers and is reliable and comfortable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: InsideLine tests RX450h...ouch!