RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Power Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 01:45 PM
laceltris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Power Hatch

Is anyone else having trouble with their power hatch? Sometimes it won't open (all doors are unlocked). If I open and close it manually, then it will work, but if I don't use it for another week or so it's back to being non-responsive. When I open it manually in those circumstances, pushing the button to close it does nothing. No beeping or anything. Once closed, it will work again... for a while.

I was going to bring this up at my next service, which won't be for another 1-2 months. Anyone else taked to a dealer about this?
Old 09-17-03, 01:56 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Are you holding the button down for at least 3 seconds?
Old 09-17-03, 03:49 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

yeah I've experienced some similar weirdness with my rear hatch - on certain occasions it's refused to open automatically by either the key fob or the dash button - I've had to manually open it - I wonder if there's some C-Best setting that needs tweaking or if this is a real problem... and yes I've held the button down for an eternity
Old 09-17-03, 05:00 PM
laceltris
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jeffknet
yeah I've experienced some similar weirdness with my rear hatch - on certain occasions it's refused to open automatically by either the key fob or the dash button - I've had to manually open it - I wonder if there's some C-Best setting that needs tweaking or if this is a real problem... and yes I've held the button down for an eternity

I too am familiar with the workings of the power hatch and was holding it down forever.

When I opened it touching the button or using the remote to close it did nothing. Only after manually closing it would it work properly again.

I saw a post on Edmunds about the same problem too. So I am not the only one. However, I have a feeling it's not going to be fixed.
Old 09-17-03, 07:58 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Last week I had a RX330 with only 2000 miles on it as a loaner for two days while my GS430 was getting serviced. I was going to carry some equipments but the power hatch did not work for me to put it in the back. Spoke to the assistant service manager when I returned the RX and he was already aware of the problem. What really sucks is that there is no key hole at the hatch to manually open the hatch when the hatch failed. They are currently working to resolve this problem. The hatch would not open using the remote key or the hatch button on the dash.

Chu...
Old 09-17-03, 08:38 PM
ericjuenke
Driver School Candidate

Yep, happened to me twice in the first couple months. Hasn't occurred in over a month though.
Old 09-17-03, 10:23 PM
dillweed
Driver School Candidate

This has happened on 3 separate occasions over the past month. Very annoying! Unfortunately, it is intermittent. I just took my 330 in for the 5K service on the 15th and reported this problem. I was told nothing was wrong and that it worked fine.

It seems I'm not the only one. We should continue to badger these service guys for a fix. The more we bug them, the more likely will get some action.
Old 09-18-03, 05:22 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by ChuH
Last week I had a RX330 with only 2000 miles on it as a loaner for two days while my GS430 was getting serviced. I was going to carry some equipments but the power hatch did not work for me to put it in the back. Spoke to the assistant service manager when I returned the RX and he was already aware of the problem. What really sucks is that there is no key hole at the hatch to manually open the hatch when the hatch failed. They are currently working to resolve this problem. The hatch would not open using the remote key or the hatch button on the dash.

Chu...
I guess this is my first real problem with the RX330. At first I thought I must have just done something wrong, but I guess not. I too had an occation where the hatch did not open electronically. I just opened it manually the drove off. The next time it worked, thus the reason why I thought it was my fault.

As for no key hole, you can still open the hatch without the key. This problem does not affect the unlocking of the hatch, just the power option. If the doors are unlocked you can simply open the hatch via the electronic lever above the license plate.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 09-18-03 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-18-03, 06:41 AM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem with my 330.
Old 09-18-03, 10:57 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CK6Speed
If the doors are unlocked you can simply open the hatch via the electronic lever above the license plate.
Tried that but it still refuse to open. Didn't have much time to play with the RX330 to figure out what may be the cause as it was a loaner. I think it has to do with the electronic control system problem.

Chu...
Old 09-18-03, 12:29 PM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had mine act flaky a couple times and found that if I lock the doors, and unlock them again, it seems to work. It's like the logic gets confused as to whether the doors are locked or not. If it happens again for you, try that to see if it works for you too. Then maybe we can report that back....

RickC
Old 09-18-03, 08:43 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a switch inside the frame of the glovebox that enables or disables the power door. I didn't know it was there until I read the manual thoroughly - it's easy to miss. The switch is supposed to be a safety feature. For some reason, Lexus recommends disabling the door before going through a car wash.

This switch wouldn't explain strange intermittent problems, but if anyone is having continual problems, it's worth checking out. If anyone can find a correlation between using the glovebox and problems with the door, then the switch could still be the culprit.

Personally, I haven't had a problem with operation of the door. It does seem that you need to hold the button down a long time on the remote, but it has always worked after several seconds.
Old 09-19-03, 12:34 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rxdriver
There's a switch inside the frame of the glovebox that enables or disables the power door. I didn't know it was there until I read the manual thoroughly - it's easy to miss. The switch is supposed to be a safety feature. For some reason, Lexus recommends disabling the door before going through a car wash.

This switch wouldn't explain strange intermittent problems, but if anyone is having continual problems, it's worth checking out. If anyone can find a correlation between using the glovebox and problems with the door, then the switch could still be the culprit.

Personally, I haven't had a problem with operation of the door. It does seem that you need to hold the button down a long time on the remote, but it has always worked after several seconds.
Hey that may be it. I am schedule to drop of my GS again for service next week. I am going to check that out if I get the same RX330.

Chu....
Old 09-20-03, 09:15 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Add me to this list of the weird, once in a while Power Door Open and Close issue.

It works fine most of the time, however there are times when it has a mind of it's own and is stubborn and doesn't want to open or close.
Old 09-21-03, 04:18 PM
eyebike
Driver

I had the same problem with the hatch too. Flaky/intermittent operation. Went into to glove box, flipped the switch on and off a few times and left it finally in the on position. It's been fine the last 4 months. Don't know if that really was the thing that fixed it, but it's been flawless after doing that.

Quick Reply: RX330 Power Hatch