RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Consumer Reports ratings! RX 330 #1 against the others!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 07:51 PM
apwoodr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Reports ratings!

I just received my new issue of Consumer Reports where they tested the RX330 along with the Acura MDX, BMW X5 3.0, Infiniti FX45, and Volvo XC90. The RX was rated the highest of the group, and is also rated higher than several other SUV models they have tested.

I hope this helps those out there that are still undecided!

"The Lexus RX330 scored the highest of the group and is now the top-rated SUV we recommend." -Consumers Reports
Old 08-07-03, 08:20 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

wow - that's great - is there an on-line version of the article?
Old 08-07-03, 10:09 PM
apwoodr
Rookie

I think you have to subscribe to their online version to read it. It's a pretty short article, so you can probably read it at your local Barnes and Noble or Borders. Hell sometimes I could read a whole book there waiting on the wife..she loves book stores!
Old 08-08-03, 09:12 AM
eyebike
Driver

Default Consumer Reports RX330

In the Sept 2003 issue of Consumer Reports, they had a review of luxury SUV's. The FX35, BMW X5, Volvo XC90 and Acura MDX were among those rated. Not surprisingly, the RX330 is now CR's highest rated SUV.

The MDX and BMW were faulted for emergency handling. The BMW actually rated poor, because 2 wheels came off the ground. The XC90 was outclassed by the other SUV's.

The FX35 was faulted for stiff and harsh ride. But it had the fasted 0-60 of 7.4 sec. The RX330 in the report was 8.8, but with regular gas.

CR says the RX330 was the most well-rounded vehicle in the group and with reliability likely to be excellent.

In a sidebar, the VW Touuareg with V6 was rated worse than the Volvo XC90--dead last in luxury SUV's.
Old 08-08-03, 09:39 AM
eyebike
Driver

Consumer reports

September 2003
Lexus RX330

The RX330 line
Body style 4-door SUV
Drive wheels Front or AWD
Trim lines -
Engines & transmissions 3.3-liter V6 (230 hp); 5-speed automatic
Base price $35,025 to $36,425

HIGHS Ride, quietness, powertrain, interior fit and finish.
LOWS Pricey options, cargo capacity.
The RX330 is the most well-rounded vehicle in this group. It balances a refined powertrain and comfortable ride with well-planned details and a very quiet interior. Compared with its predecessor, the RX330 is quicker and quieter, and it provides better braking and handling. Reliability is likely to be excellent.

WHERE AM I? The navigation system
is fairly intuitive. When you back up, the rear-view camera shows, on the dashboard display, the area behind the vehicle--a useful feature.

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE
The RX330 provides good isolation from bumps, and body motions are well controlled. The highway ride is mostly smooth, and it is unaffected by a full load.

Routine handling feels carlike, and not nearly as cumbersome as with traditional SUVs. But the vehicle is not particularly agile. Body lean is pronounced in corners, and the steering feels a bit dull. In our emergency handling tests, the RX330 felt forgiving and secure. Its speed was commendable in our avoidance maneuver, aided by its effective stability-control system.

The 230-hp, 3.3-liter V6, paired with a smooth-shifting five-speed automatic, performs well. We averaged 18 mpg overall on regular fuel. The RX330 can tow up to 3,500 pounds; however, a compatible hitch was unavailable for our tests. Overall, braking was excellent.

INSIDE THE CABIN
The well-detailed interior is as plush and quiet as many luxury cars. Power-seat and steering-wheel adjustments allow most drivers to find a comfortable seating position. Our drivers voiced minor complaints about the blind spot created by the rear roof pillar. When backing up, the optional rear-view camera shows the area behind the vehicle on a dashboard display.

The leather bucket seats feel pleasantly firm and provide good support. However, the seat cushion’s limited adjustment range may not allow some drivers enough thigh support. The rear seats are roomy and comfortable, but thigh support is lacking there as well. Access is easy to the front and rear.

Gauges and controls are logical, legible, and well placed. Our drivers had minor complaints about placement of controls for the power mirrors, rear gate, and remote fuel release. The standard tire-pressure-monitoring system doesn’t warn of air loss if all tires are equally low.

The cabin and cargo areas have multiple handy storage compartments. There are three cup holders for the front passengers, with two for the rear. The rear seatbacks can be folded in either a 40/20/40 or 60/40 configuration.

SAFETY NOTES
For the front passenger, sensors that detect weight and whether the safety belt is buckled control front and side air bags. The driver has a knee-level air bag. When lowered, rear head restraints do not provide adequate protection.

Driving with kids. Front-facing child seats should be secure, but rear-facing seats may tilt in the rear center position. LATCH anchors are awkward to access.
Old 08-08-03, 01:39 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

thanks for posting eyebike!
Old 08-09-03, 01:56 PM
marke1
Driver School Candidate

This article confirms our observations of the MDX vs. RX acceleration. The MDX 0-60 was 8.2 vs. 8.8 for the RX. Lexus may need to back off on their claim of "best-in-class" 0-60. When the IS came out, the 0-60 times were overly optimistic as well, if I recall. Maybe they don't consider the MDX to be in the same class.
Old 08-09-03, 04:36 PM
eyebike
Driver

CR tests of 0-60 with the RX330 (8.8) was done with regular gas, while the MDX (8.2) had premium. I wonder how much that contributed to the slower time of the RX330 in the CR tests. I understand that the timing will be retarded and consequently affect acceleration.

The Lexus manual states for best performance, premium should be used. Undoubtedly, Lexus must have tested with premium. Plus, I believe the times that Lexus posted was with FWD, while the vehicle CR tested was AWD. AWD will always be slower.

Last edited by eyebike; 08-09-03 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-09-03, 05:47 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

couldn't resist picking up the mag today at Border's - great issue, also has comparison's on a couple of other "toys" I've been eyeing... camera phones, laptops and wi-fi computing.....
Old 08-09-03, 09:08 PM
eyebike
Driver

Nice mag, Consumer Reports. I like to read their reviews about different products.

I also noticed in the review on the RX330, that the tested car had Goodyear tires, 18". A lot of forum members, myself included have had a disdain for Goodyears, and preferred Michelins. But in the accident avoidence test, the RX330 did an outstanding job and posted the second highest speed around the course. Only .5 sec slower than a BMW X5. While the suspension plays a major role, the tires also should help or hinder.

BTW, BMW X5 max speed was 52.5 sec, Lexus RX330 -- 52.0, Volvo XC90--50.5, Infiniti FX35--49.0, VW Touareg 47.5 and the Acura MDX--46.0. And this was the RX330 without the air suspension!

I haven't even been using my air suspension that much and knowing what I know now, probably wouldnt have gotten it.

Last edited by eyebike; 08-09-03 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-10-03, 04:34 AM
laterldf
Driver School Candidate

Wink Gas octane

I was surprised that CR didn't use premium fuel, especially when they were time testing it since the manual specifies the use of premuim "for improved performance". I've averaged about 22-23 mpg (figured the old fashioned way--not the trip computer) on road trips with the premuim. We're still very happy with our RX (except for the navi--grrrrrr) and would buy another one. later, ldf

2004 RX330-AWD--7K
Black Forest Pearl
Old 08-11-03, 08:51 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Originally posted by eyebike
CR tests of 0-60 with the RX330 (8.8) was done with regular gas, while the MDX (8.2) had premium. I wonder how much that contributed to the slower time of the RX330 in the CR tests. I understand that the timing will be retarded and consequently affect acceleration.

The Lexus manual states for best performance, premium should be used. Undoubtedly, Lexus must have tested with premium. Plus, I believe the times that Lexus posted was with FWD, while the vehicle CR tested was AWD. AWD will always be slower.
I believe Car and Driver (a more performance oriented magazine) tested the RX, even the AWD version to be 7.8 seconds 0-60. Maybe it was the regular gas that slowed it down. Though in my experience, CR always reports slower 0-60 than other [lead-footed] magazines.

Edit: "slower 0-60", not "lower..."

Last edited by Lexterious; 08-11-03 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-11-03, 11:19 AM
eyebike
Driver

Oh I sure there a few things a driver can do to speed up that 0-60 times. CR probably just floors it like we all do. But I think that the reg gas must have some impact too.