RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Audio in RX330

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 03:59 PM
Compaq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio in RX330

Can someone tell me how the standard audio system in the rx330 sounds. If you have the mark levinson audio system then how does that one sound

Thank You
Old 06-19-03, 04:11 PM
Wishbone
Driver School Candidate

yes! any input would be great...since the ML system consists of eleven speakers, do the door panels or any of the exterior sections tend to hiss loudly and vibrate? I hear this a lot on the 99 RX whenever the bass and volume is up. I'm wondering if it's the side panels that need to be insulated or the power of the speakers are just too much for the panels to handle?
Old 06-19-03, 05:34 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the standard 8 speaker system. My settings are all set to flat (0 with no boost) for any of the Bass, Mid, or Trebble settings. So far there is no real audible viabration or hissing from the door mounted speaker, however, I can feel they are viabrating quite a bit at higher volume. It hasn't shaken anything loose so you can't hear any rattles or distorsion. Over all there is good usable bass and I think it is a fairly good OEM system. Generally I don't like OE systems as I usually put in aftermarket systems, but this one is not bad at all.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 06-19-03 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 06:07 PM
kidney
Driver School Candidate

For what it's worth, I'm really really happy with the standard radio system!
Old 06-19-03, 07:58 PM
firebird
Driver School Candidate

Read an article the other day about the ML in the RX330. The article stated that ML spent 1200 hours the ML system. Apparantly Lexus was prepared to do anything requested by ML engineers to ensure that they got perfect sound. This included increasing that sound proofing in the door (read thicker metal door skins) and that the results are unbeleiveable.

The artile was in Motor Magazine (Australian version)
Old 06-19-03, 08:31 PM
Wishbone
Driver School Candidate

Would adding thicker insulation in the door ( 99 RX ... mostly on driver's and right passenger side) reduce the audible vibration without making the system seem weaker or softer from external hearing points? For the Lexus RX330 standard system, did they mention what type it was? Like Alpine?? Bose?
Old 06-19-03, 09:11 PM
firebird
Driver School Candidate

ML is a division of Harmon Kordan and they custom build the system is the RX330.
Old 06-19-03, 10:36 PM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

I believe the OEM sound system is by Pioneer. It is 195 Watts. The ML is 240 Watts.

I think the OEM sound system is very good at all but very loud levels, but I haven't hear the ML At very loud levels, Bass at 5, Treble at 5 and disco-dance music playing, I do hear some distortion. But your average Lexus driver doesn't listen to this type of music nor do they listen at these levels. Most people will be quite happy with the OEM system.

One nit I have with the OEM system is there is no "pause" button for CDs. I found this an alarming deficiency until I found that turning the system OFF acted like a "pause". When you powered it back on, it starts the CD from where it left off. Nice enough I guess, but gee, they could have put in a real pause button, no?

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, I think they dropped the ball by not having Pioneer use a deck that has MP3 capabilities. Gee, it's the year 2004. Most people know how to burn an MP3 CD with 10 hours of music on it. ...well maybe not most Lexus drivers...though at the same time, most should be able to afford to pay a young geek to burn them one. Anyway, more seriously, if not MP3 capable, at least they should have specified an audio input jack so that one can plug in an MP3 player.
Old 06-20-03, 12:02 AM
jeffknet
Pole Position

chiming in with my 2 cents about the standard audio system - I really like being able to select the audio control zones - especially the driver zone - ie: making the driver the "center" focus of the sound - I'm alone in my RX330 a lot of the time so this function really appeals to me
Old 06-20-03, 06:35 AM
Bobbaxter
Driver School Candidate

Does the ML system have a different CD changer that allows MP3 burned CDs? The previous message said the OEM does not have that capability. If not, how hard would it be to swap it out for one? Other than better sound quality, are there any unique features to the ML? thanks. Bob
Old 06-20-03, 07:25 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

I have the standard audio system in my RX330 and, with the disclaimer that this is an awfully subjective thread/subject, I'm not impressed with it. In fact, on one of my visits to a dealer at which I took a test drive, I specifically took a couple of CDs out of my car to test the audio system. Here are my general impressions:

1. To me the audio system sounds "flat". Having said that, my previous car was equipped with a system with Dolby ProLogic with center speaker, so I don't know whether this is an unfair comparison since the RX audio doesn't have this feature.

2. There is some distortion at high volume. I tested the system with a CD containing some rock and some big band pieces and heard distortion on both. Oh, the salesman brought a Lexus CD with some classical music and we tested that too, same thing.

3. I agree with CK6Speed, there isn't any speaker vibration, and the bass is generous.

On the other hand, what I do like about the system is its integrated look, and CD Text capabilty (I listen mostly to burned CDs and include CD Text on all of them), and the listening position presets, although like jeffknet, I'm usually the only one in the car so I keep it at the driver's position.

Hope my $ .02 were helpful.

--cmstahl
Old 06-20-03, 08:56 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Re: Dolby ProLogic, did you have a car that had the image processors that simulated things like "concert hall", "rock arena", "club", etc.? I think those are kind of neat. And yes if you listen to that a lot and then compare it to "normal", it would sound flat. One of my home stereo amps (Yamaha) has those features. The "counter" to that is that those settings aren't "real", i.e. purists would scoff.

Now if car stereos had a surround sound decoder that decode DTS or Digital Dolby recorded music on music DVDs and played them back in true 5.1 surround sound, well, that might be really interesting!

Last edited by Lexterious; 06-20-03 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-20-03, 10:32 AM
rtistiq
Driver School Candidate

Default ML System

I actually tested both before I bought the car. The ML system is much more crisp and distortion free than the Pioneer system. That being said, the Pioneer system was not bad and most people would probably be happy with it.

I ended up with the ML system in my car. I personally like the imaging and clarity of the ML system better FOR MY TASTES. I listen to a wide variety of music (pop, jazz, rap, hip hop, rock) and it just seems to me that the ML system did a better job of faithfully reproducing the music as it was intended to be heard. Norah Jones sounds like she's singing in the car!

Just like the Pioneer system, it too has the CD Text capability, Position Optimized Sound and NO MP3 capability (I agree, it should have this). I am almost convinced that the head unit might be the same as the Pioneer system, but with the addition of the ML amplifier and the Revel speakers, but who knows, I'm probably wrong on that one. The ML system also has a center channel speaker atop the dashboard. It seems to help imaging a lot.

I only wish that the ML system could hit a little lower notes (probably due to a lack of a true sub). It hits pretty low, but I had a JL Audio 12W6 in my other car, so I got a little spoiled in that regard. As for rattling the interior, it actually does rattle a little on the door panel when I have it loud (past 40 on the volume scale). Also, loose articles in the door pockets may vibrate a little at the higher volumes (I had some CD jewel cases in there earlier this week and noticed they were vibrating).

Overall, the ML system is simply awesome and I don't regret getting it at all. Everyone that has rode in the car has commented on how good it sounds. My wife laughed the other day and said that it was weird that we were 'bumpin' in the RX... listening to No Doubt... haha.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps anyone who is trying to compare the two systems.
Old 06-20-03, 11:42 AM
Wishbone
Driver School Candidate

So maybe a simple analogy:

2004 RX330 is to Mark Levinson as 1999-2003 RX300 is to Nakimichi?

Could that be said fairly? Sorry if these are repetitive questions...I'm new to the whole Lexus scene. Thanks!
Old 06-20-03, 01:00 PM
cmstahl
Rookie

Lexterious --

No, the stereo in my old car didn't have the image processor that you speak of, but I also have a Yamaha receiver for home (VX-590) that does provide the concert hall, Dolby Enhanced, mono movie, etc., so I know what you're talking about.

The stereo with Dolby PL I had provided for three settings: standard, 3-channel and ProLogic. There were two controls, one for "center" and one for "effect". The one for "center" basically increased the comparative level of the center channel speaker in the top of the dash, and the other increased the effect, I think by increasing the delay, although it was in very small increments. Nothing like the extent to which you can increase the delay in the Yamaha.

The PL setting actually sounded very good, and by comparison, even the 3-channel sounded flat. Hence my perception that the Lexus audio sounds flat. I might see what could be available as far as aftermarket goes to improve the sound, though I won't do it at the cost of changing the actual stereo in the dash because I think the integrated look (i.e., matches the information display at the top of the dash) looks too good to mess with.

Quick Reply: Audio in RX330