RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navigation Screen/Buttons Fuse Problem

Old 03-13-17, 06:56 AM
Jdriem8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Screen/Buttons Fuse Problem

I read a bunch of threads on this forum about adding LED strips to my car for the purposes of adding them as DRLs. I learned what types I needed, wiring I needed, and even the type of relay I needed in order to disable the stock DRL (which are also the highbeams) so that the bulbs will only work as high beams. The threads I followed on this site are below & told me to wire the LED strips into the fuse box by finding a fuse that was Ignition "On." Makes sense, the lights will draw power from a fuse when the car is on and will shut off when it's not on. I began testing the fuses in the engine compartment to see which would draw power when on and would not draw power when the car was off. I used a standard power testing meter. Needless to say, I didn't have any luck finding the right fuse (even the one in the thread below was still drawing power when the car was off) and gave up because I searched through all of them. However, I noticed that when I start my car, the Navigation screen and all associated navigation buttons do not work. Additionally, the climate control defaults to factory settings rather than keeping the temperature and airflow settings I had prior to shutting the car off. I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment and all seem to be intact. What the hell did I mess up?!?! Is one of the fuses bad, even though it looks intact? Did I mess up some sort of electrical process the car goes through? I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow but I hate being that moron that has to bring his car in every time something minor goes wrong. Could anyone help me understand what the issue might be and possibly fix it?!? I promise, I'm not as much of a noob as I sound...although messing up the fuses/Nav screen does make me seem like a pretty big nub Please help and thank you!

Here's the thread I followed about adding led strips:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-led-drls.html

Here's the thread I followed about replacing the stock DRL relay to disable the stock DRLs:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-pictures.html
Old 03-13-17, 07:06 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm thinking you reset the Nav/climate controls while pulling an testing the fuses in the engine compartment. Nav should either freeze or be black when starter is cranking if that's what your issue is but it will start up once engine turns over. Check the settings in the Nav to see if anything is changed and leave your heating controls on AUTO after you set the temps you want.

Personally I always tap ignition wires inside the cabin under the dash where the steering wheel is. Since I do remote start and alarm installs, that's my wire heaven if I need any sources of power.

Also, the proper way to disable DRL is through techstream, no need to change relays. I disabled my DRL's in my build thread in my signature.
Old 03-13-17, 07:20 AM
Jdriem8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I'm thinking you reset the Nav/climate controls while pulling an testing the fuses in the engine compartment. Nav should either freeze or be black when starter is cranking if that's what your issue is but it will start up once engine turns over. Check the settings in the Nav to see if anything is changed and leave your heating controls on AUTO after you set the temps you want.

Personally I always tap ignition wires inside the cabin under the dash where the steering wheel is. Since I do remote start and alarm installs, that's my wire heaven if I need any sources of power.

Also, the proper way to disable DRL is through techstream, no need to change relays. I disabled my DRL's in my build thread in my signature.
Thanks for the quick response! When I turn the car on, the Nav screen shows the lexus symbol. Then, rather than going to the warning screen where I have to select "Agree," the screen goes black. None of the navigation-associated buttons work or even beep. The only buttons that work (and change the screen from black) is the climate, display, and clock. I didn't check to see if the information button works though. Also, the camera does come on when I go into reverse, but the screen goes black when I shift out of reverse. So essentially the navigation doesn't come on and I don't know how to get it to come back. Did I mess some procedure up? Why hasn't putting all the fuses back fixed it?
Old 03-13-17, 07:50 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Interesting, check to see if the Nav unit is getting power. This is in your trunk next to your spare tire. If it ejects the map DVD then it should be online, if not, there's your problem. I don't have the link anymore but a google search should bring up the thread that explains where it is and how to eject the DVD.
Old 03-13-17, 08:01 AM
Jdriem8
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, check to see if the Nav unit is getting power. This is in your trunk next to your spare tire. If it ejects the map DVD then it should be online, if not, there's your problem. I don't have the link anymore but a google search should bring up the thread that explains where it is and how to eject the DVD.
Regardless of whether the car is off or on, the navigation DVD (in the trunk) does not eject. Also, the information button below the nav screen does work, but the only options available once I press that button are "trip information" & "screen transition." Something's messed up. You may be right, power's not getting to the nav unit. But why and how do I fix that?
Old 03-13-17, 08:12 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jdriem8
Regardless of whether the car is off or on, the navigation DVD (in the trunk) does not eject. Also, the information button below the nav screen does work, but the only options available once I press that button are "trip information" & "screen transition." Something's messed up. You may be right, power's not getting to the nav unit. But why and how do I fix that?
If it worked before you worked with the fuses, only thing I could think of is the fuse is shot or not inserted fully/properly. Time to do some digging and see which fuse powers the Nav.
Old 03-13-17, 08:17 AM
Jdriem8
Driver School Candidate

If it worked before you worked with the fuses, only thing I could think of is the fuse is shot or not inserted fully/properly. Time to do some digging and see which fuse powers the Nav.
Yeah, that was my thought. I checked virtually all the fuses in the engine and all are in. None looked shot (the metal arc was still intact). I believe fuses 10 & 25 are specific to the navigation unit, but I checked virtually all of them. My worry is that there's a problem with a fuse inside, under the dashboard. Not the easiest to get to and check, but I suppose I'd rather have a blown fuse anywhere in the car than something bigger/more expensive. I'm expecting a call from a dealer technician soon, so hopefully he'll be able to help me troubleshoot it. Of course it's snowing out so I'll have to freeze while checking this out. That's what I get for messing with the wiring!
Old 03-13-17, 08:20 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

You gotta learn somehow right? This doesn't seem too bad, just a bit of snooping around. I really haven't played with any of the fuse boxes on my car yet but I assume the interior fuse box may have a fuse for the nav since it's part of the cabin.
Old 03-13-17, 11:08 AM
Jdriem8
Driver School Candidate

You gotta learn somehow right? This doesn't seem too bad, just a bit of snooping around. I really haven't played with any of the fuse boxes on my car yet but I assume the interior fuse box may have a fuse for the nav since it's part of the cabin.
So I used my meter to test both sides of each fuse in the engine compartment. All of them read perfectly, which told me none of the fuses were bad. Rather than stick my head down by the pedals and test each of those fuses, I decided to just disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes. Thereafter, I re-connected it and everything worked perfectly again. Had to reset the sunroof and driver's seat memory and redo all the navigation/climate settings, but it looks like it's back to normal...for now, ha.

I take it, I have to buy the techstream software/cord to use with my car in order to disable the DRL? Also, I agree wiring into the fuses in the cabin is probably the best way to go, but I wanted to try and avoid having to run wire from the engine compartment into the cabin through the firewall. Looks like I may have to since tapping into the engine fuse box turned out to be a bad idea.
Old 03-13-17, 11:27 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jdriem8
I take it, I have to buy the techstream software/cord to use with my car in order to disable the DRL? Also, I agree wiring into the fuses in the cabin is probably the best way to go, but I wanted to try and avoid having to run wire from the engine compartment into the cabin through the firewall. Looks like I may have to since tapping into the engine fuse box turned out to be a bad idea.
Coming from a Toyota background and now working with Lexus, disabling the DRL on most of the cars for me has been using techstream. I like this because you to not have to change anything and it takes a few clicks to revert it, whereas I usually throw out old relays, I rarely save things in my already cluttered garage.

Although you can change the relay and I've seen posts with it done, I couldn't get it to work myself on my own Camry and ended up using techstream to disable it.