RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power Steering flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 07:07 AM
ajay60610
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering flush

Was wondering how often one should get a power steering flush or is a "flush" even needed [vs. a drain and fill]....last flush was done by the dealer 40,000 miles ago [3 years].....don't want to go back to dealer..was thinking about going to an independent shop if job is fairly easy...2009 RX-350 AWD [117.5K]...thanks for helping.
Old 03-07-17, 04:16 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The easiest (and cheapest) way is the turkey baster method.

Engine running, suck out as much as you can. Top off with fresh ATF Type T-IV fluid (same as transmission fluid - your '09 might use WS fluid - Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF is compatible with both). Turn wheels lock to lock. Repeat the remove and refill procedure a couple more times. This should freshen up the majority of the fluid. I think you'll need about 1 - 2 quarts of fluid. It would be easier to do if the front wheels are off the ground, but either way is fine.
Old 03-07-17, 02:11 PM
ajay60610
Rookie

Originally Posted by RedGemini
The easiest (and cheapest) way is the turkey baster method.

Engine running, suck out as much as you can. Top off with fresh ATF Type T-IV fluid (same as transmission fluid - your '09 might use WS fluid - Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF is compatible with both). Turn wheels lock to lock. Repeat the remove and refill procedure a couple more times. This should freshen up the majority of the fluid. I think you'll need about 1 - 2 quarts of fluid. It would be easier to do if the front wheels are off the ground, but either way is fine.
Having a hard time finding a supplier who sells the Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF by the quart ......Amazon and others sell by the six-pack...any suggestions would be helpful...thanks
Old 03-07-17, 02:51 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ajay60610
Having a hard time finding a supplier who sells the Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF by the quart ......Amazon and others sell by the six-pack...any suggestions would be helpful...thanks
I think Walmart has it, I've also used Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle on Toyotas with no issues which Walmart also should have.
Old 03-07-17, 02:52 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

I do my 08 Avalon and my wife's 08 RX every two years. Use the turkey baster method, suck out as much as possible from the reservoir, then fill it up with new fluid, start the engine, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock a few times, drive it for a day and do the same again until I deplete 2 quarts (around 6-7 time). I usually get Valvoline MaxLife ATF from Walmart, around $4-5 per quart. Both car approaching 110K miles and still running smooth.
Old 03-07-17, 08:54 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would change it at 40k miles. depending on what you put back in, you could go as long or longer before you need to swap out the fluid again.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...007-rx350.html
Old 03-08-17, 03:47 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Walmart has Valvoline Maxlife ATF on clearance - under $5 per quart and under $18 for a 5 quart bottle - if you can find it. I'd say it's a sign it's being discontinued from Walmart. I was able to get 4 1 quart bottles at one Walmart, but that was the last of any stock at either of the two close to me. The website is showing 2 bottles left, but it's not always accurate. It showed one 5 quart bottle when I only found the four 1 quart bottles on the shelf. I picked up a 5 quart bottle at AutoZone for $20.
The following users liked this post:
ajay60610 (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 04:14 AM
ajay60610
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexsc4
I do my 08 Avalon and my wife's 08 RX every two years. Use the turkey baster method, suck out as much as possible from the reservoir, then fill it up with new fluid, start the engine, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock a few times, drive it for a day and do the same again until I deplete 2 quarts (around 6-7 time). I usually get Valvoline MaxLife ATF from Walmart, around $4-5 per quart. Both car approaching 110K miles and still running smooth.
Think i follow you on the turkey baster method.....what is the capacity of the power steering container AND after initially sucking out fluid from reservoir then putting in new fluid and drive, are you then sucking out the new fluid again?

Do you have a two quart container next to vehicle so you know when you've reached the two quart limit?

Sorry for these simple questions but am very new at this...just retired and have more time than money [ ha...ha]...also sick of dealer high prices[$160/hr. labor rate].
Old 03-08-17, 04:28 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

You'll only be able to suck out so much at a time. You'll be doing a simple fluid exchange. Repeat the procedure until you've used 2 quarts of fluid, about 6-7 times. When the wheels are turning, it's circulating the fluid through the system. Each time you do the exchange, you're getting out more old fluid and putting more new fluid in. The more you do it, the more red the fluid will be that you're taking out.
Old 03-08-17, 03:24 PM
ajay60610
Rookie

Originally Posted by RedGemini
You'll only be able to suck out so much at a time. You'll be doing a simple fluid exchange. Repeat the procedure until you've used 2 quarts of fluid, about 6-7 times. When the wheels are turning, it's circulating the fluid through the system. Each time you do the exchange, you're getting out more old fluid and putting more new fluid in. The more you do it, the more red the fluid will be that you're taking out.
Okay...thanks for the explanation...now i understand...Bless You.
Old 03-08-17, 04:25 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

I don't know the capacity of the reservoir. Just suck out as much as you can. I use a separate milk carton for the old fluid and fill in the reservoir with new fluid until it hits the max line.
Repeat the whole process again the next day, day after.....until you use up all 2 quarts. By the time I deplete the whole 2 quarts, the fluid color looks pretty much brand new.

Originally Posted by ajay60610
Think i follow you on the turkey baster method.....what is the capacity of the power steering container AND after initially sucking out fluid from reservoir then putting in new fluid and drive, are you then sucking out the new fluid again?

Do you have a two quart container next to vehicle so you know when you've reached the two quart limit?

Sorry for these simple questions but am very new at this...just retired and have more time than money [ ha...ha]...also sick of dealer high prices[$160/hr. labor rate].
Old 03-09-17, 07:34 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most power steering res aren't neatly a geometric shape. you are better off getting a big syringe and sticking a vinyl tube on the end (home depot) so you can get to the bottom of the res.

The first couple of times I did it the turkey baster way, but with a mityvac. the other method listed on the forum uses a lot less PS fluid and is faster. but the end result is the same. I like redline products so it saves me a little $$ doing it with a method that uses less PS fluid.

good luck.
The following users liked this post:
ajay60610 (03-09-17)
Old 03-09-17, 05:45 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

I bought a "Pennzoil Siphon Pump" (Google it) at Walmart. $3.50-Cheap and effective.
Takes about 5 suctions and the reservoir is emptied.
Old 10-02-21, 09:18 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 175 Likes on 136 Posts

My 09 RX has the original Steering Rack with no leaks, so far.
I did a semi-thorough Power Steering "Flush" when I bought the car and, occasionally, have been using the turkey baster method to change the reservoir fluid ever since.

Do any of you do this? Our RX's are getting pretty old, lol. It seems the power steering fluid might get neglected in our regular maintenance; we have to keep these steering racks nicely lubricated or else we'll be under the car tearing them out!

Also, I use Toyota ATF (per the manual), which, believe it or not, is becoming harder to find. My local Toyota dealer doesn't even stock Toyota ATF because they say it's just general purpose ATF and nobody buys it from them.

Last edited by spinellib; 10-02-21 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 10:44 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Yes. I do this using a spray water bottle method on my wife’s RX350 every 2 years. Mileage is current at 146K and it is still steering smoothly with no whining noise or leak. I buy one quart of Valvoline Maxlife ATF and squeeze out the reservoir every 2 days until the quart is used up. Usually take me 2 weeks to complete this task.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexsc4:
Margate330 (10-02-21), spinellib (10-03-21)

Quick Reply: Power Steering flush