RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

spark plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 12:04 PM
ajay60610
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default spark plug replacement

2009 RX-350AWD [117K] ...looking to replace spark plugs per 120K maintenance.....can save $78 if i supply spare plugs [bought on Amazon] rather than from the dealer BUT dealer will not warranty if something goes wrong with them...will charge me both labor and materials if have to replace....bought OEM spark plugs per those listed in manual....is the savings with the risk...thanks.
Old 02-27-17, 12:40 PM
Cathy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajay60610
2009 RX-350AWD [117K] ...looking to replace spark plugs per 120K maintenance.....can save $78 if i supply spare plugs [bought on Amazon] rather than from the dealer BUT dealer will not warranty if something goes wrong with them...will charge me both labor and materials if have to replace....bought OEM spark plugs per those listed in manual....is the savings with the risk...thanks.
They are exactly the same plugs. You really should replace the back three ignition coils too in case they fail after spark plug change and you will be charged another 3 hours of labor to reopen the engine bay like me. =(

I think the plugs are very reliable and chance of failing is quite low so I will take the risk.
Old 02-27-17, 02:27 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Worth the risk to me. It's not like you're buying off-brand sparks plugs, these should be OEM and backed by Amazon. I got mine off eBay but same concept, I've also bought over 50 plugs from online venders with no issues but 1 faulty plug which they replaced free of charge.
Old 02-27-17, 04:17 PM
ajay60610
Rookie

Okay...thanks for your help...will ask what the cost of replacing back 3 ignition coils would be...sounds like a good idea....Lexus dealer's [western suburbs of Chicago] hourly rate for service is currently $160/hr.
Old 02-27-17, 04:18 PM
ajay60610
Rookie

Okay...thanks for your input...dealer was going to mark up plugs 100% [based on what i paid for them on Amazon].
Old 03-01-17, 08:32 AM
ajay60610
Rookie

Checked with Lexus dealer...wants to charge me $139 each to replace the 3 back ignition coils....no labor charge...holy crap!!
Old 03-01-17, 11:44 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cathy
They are exactly the same plugs. You really should replace the back three ignition coils too in case they fail after spark plug change and you will be charged another 3 hours of labor to reopen the engine bay like me. =(

I think the plugs are very reliable and chance of failing is quite low so I will take the risk.
Agree too! Happened to me as well. Took me 3 or 4 times taking the intake off to finally determine it was the coil packs. Two ended up bad because I touched them......so I went ahead and replaced all three to be happy.

Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$57 each
Old 03-02-17, 01:44 AM
ajay60610
Rookie

Should i buy the three[3]ignition coil-packs from Amazon [@$57 each] and then let the dealer install [not sure there would be an extra labor charge to change and install the back 3 coils while replacing all 6 spark plugs] OR just take the risk that the Lexus dealer techs would replace all of the spark plugs [total of 6] without needing to replace the 3 back ignition coil packs... i will be supplying the dealer with 6 OEM spark plugs [purchased from Amazon]so will be charged for their labor only.

Dealer quoted me a price of $140 each for the 3 back ignition coils pack installation...must include a labor charge.

Need some perspective here as i'm not a mechanical person [wish i was].

Appreciate everyone's guidance on this issue.
Old 03-02-17, 05:59 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Buy the coils on Amazon or any trusted source for OEM parts. They should not charge you extra for something that is taken out anyways for the spark plug change you just need to have all the parts ready before they start. Personally I would just change the back three, the front three are easy to access and very easy to swap when those fail. Also KEEP your old coils! Since they haven't failed yet, it's nice to keep a few spares.
The following users liked this post:
ajay60610 (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 07:52 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Buy the coils on Amazon or any trusted source for OEM parts. They should not charge you extra for something that is taken out anyways for the spark plug change you just need to have all the parts ready before they start. Personally I would just change the back three, the front three are easy to access and very easy to swap when those fail. Also KEEP your old coils! Since they haven't failed yet, it's nice to keep a few spares.
yep I agree. It literally takes 3 minutes to change each coil once they are there. Just one or two screws and that's it.

Also agree to keep the old ones. With 3 new ones in back, they'll put the whole engine back together. If for some reason one of the front one fails during the whole process, you have 3 more chances for them to get it running correctly before they charge you for a "Lexus Coilpack".....at that point, if you have a bad one you'll have to pay the extra because it's already in their shop.

Now logically, I really don't understand how a coil pack can go bad by simply changing the spark plugs.....but it did happen to me. First go around the engine was literally sputtering and misfiring terribly! I really couldn't even drive it in any way!!

Lexus probably won't warranty the work but I bought my plugs and coil packs off of Amazon with no issues. Just stick with the OEM ones.
Old 03-02-17, 08:56 AM
ajay60610
Rookie

Thanks so much ...your response makes sense...service guy at Lexus dealership keeps telling me that if i supply the parts there is no warranty....is there an estimated "life" for a coil pack....not a mechanical but if the coil is electrical i assume it's life can vary [like a light bulb]...does this sound logical?

Last edited by ajay60610; 03-02-17 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-02-17, 10:03 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This comment is intended to be helpful.
Is it possible for the OP to consider going to a good, reputable independent shop (or even a Toyota dealer rather than a Lexus one) for the same work at a lower cost and possibly without the need to supply parts and question warranty coverage?

Most shops (dealers and independents alike) don't like using supplied parts. They cut into income. So they will warranty the labor but not the supplied part. Makes sense, except that it is unlikely that defective labor will be the issue down the road.

To stay competitive, independents charge less overall than the dealers, and they can use OEM parts when doing so. Some will even use supplied parts, but some won't.
ajay60610 (03-04-17)
Old 03-03-17, 05:40 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

I had mine serviced at Toyota vs. Lexus for this very reason. Every time I called Lexus for a quote, it was always higher than Toyota for the same part or service. Only for warranty work did I go to Lexus.
ajay60610 (03-04-17)
Old 03-04-17, 09:34 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks
Because of this post I will be changing out my Coil packs
Paid $50 each for Denso 673-1301 at Advance auto with A124 coupon code.
Dealer wanted $125 for each Denso coil
Old 03-06-17, 07:21 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Good insurance and good decision! Nice work on coupon....

Quick Reply: spark plug replacement