RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 01:12 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgteacher
Thomas Mentioned oil line issues in RX350's? What years, and what were the issues? Following the logic of previous posts, the end of Gen 2 RXs are a good bet, most bugs ironed out? I am a Toyota Corolla fan, and I have an end of Gen 2002 Corolla, great car. So I can see the logic in buying late into a Gen. Resale value is our enemy. Hard to finance older cars, so resale value tanks.
I think you could only get the 350's from 07-09 so I assume the oil line recall affects all years in that range. I've read of two issues, VVTi oil line and the oil cooler line needing to be replaced from rubber to metal. But it is a recall and should be covered (I forgot the specifics). Having owned a 330, this is what I've heard by ear. Otherwise 350's should have all the interior and etc worked out.

Also yes, I have an earlier gen 9 2004 corolla and I can definitely see the kinks vs the later years. Financing... well I usually don't need to finance the old cars I buy
Old 02-24-17, 05:15 PM
Bgteacher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dumb question, it was mentioned in previous posts that the RX330 has less engine noise than the RX350. Is this because of the timing belt? What are the advantages/disadvantages of chain vs belt? Does 1 have a performance advantage? Is it strictly a cost factor for the auto makers?
Old 02-24-17, 05:26 PM
Bgteacher
Driver School Candidate

Lexuswiz referred the RX 330 engine as an "interference engine" made reference that a snapped TB would damage this type of engine. I know they're are engines that can survive a snapped belt, what are these engines called and why didn't Lexus install this type of engine in the RX330?
Old 02-24-17, 06:32 PM
chris948
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexuswiz referred the RX 330 engine as an "interference engine" made reference that a snapped TB would damage this type of engine. I know they're are engines that can survive a snapped belt, what are these engines called and why didn't Lexus install this type of engine in the RX330?
engines that can survive a snap timing belt are called non-interference engines. Lexus didn't install that type of engine because a byproduct of the efficient design of today's engine is that it's interference. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't seen a non interference engine in years.

As to the part about quiet and efficient, that's a definite opinion thing. I would disagree as long as the chain is in spec.
Old 02-24-17, 06:54 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
on this note; does the second gen rx's have a timing belt or chain and at what point should I consider replacing it? I currently have a 07 rx350 with not quite 72000 miles on it at the present time.
It is not only how many miles you logged. The age of timing belt. Rubber product with age tend to decay even if it looks good, it is a concern. Are you going to take chance being stranded some where(Murphy's law) Personally I just follow the owner's manual. I'd rather have peace of mind than trying to save few $$. I once watch total tear down of an old car. The frame weld joints, etc. here and there showed hair line cracks due to metal fatigue. Ever since I never drive tooold cars or truck. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 02-24-17, 07:26 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I have a dumb question, it was mentioned in previous posts that the RX330 has less engine noise than the RX350. Is this because of the timing belt? What are the advantages/disadvantages of chain vs belt? Does 1 have a performance advantage? Is it strictly a cost factor for the auto makers?
I'm no engineer but the displacement of the engine is where the performance is, 3.5L is bigger then 3.3L regardless if it used a belt or chain. Personally there's not much benefit or disadvantage that would stop me from using either. Also from my years of working with Toyota engines, belts came at a time when maintenance intervals were more reasonable, now-a-days, people want a car that will drive forever with little maintenance, 10K miles oil changes was never heard of. So when you're changing dino oil at 2500 miles then a belt at 100K, it didn't seem too crazy.

What you're looking for is a non-interference engine. Problem is it is not efficient and would interfere with how VVTi works. I believe this non-interference version is on the gen 1 RX300.

Originally Posted by chris948
engines that can survive a snap timing belt are called non-interference engines. Lexus didn't install that type of engine because a byproduct of the efficient design of today's engine is that it's interference. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't seen a non interference engine in years.

As to the part about quiet and efficient, that's a definite opinion thing. I would disagree as long as the chain is in spec.
+1000, spot on. I would agree it is very opinionated, but if you've ever worked with older BMW engines, don't get me started on their chains..... haha
Old 02-24-17, 09:20 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

RX300 was also an interference engine, it had VVTi technology also.
Old 02-24-17, 09:45 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I think belt was being used when lighter overhead cam engines started showing up. Chain of course lasts longer. In my life time of driving I saw many engine damage due to broken timing belt. Once my Plymouth Sport with 383 engine broke a link on timing chain which made awful loud banging noise loose end hitting chain cover(metal , now they are usually plastic) At least I never saw a broken chain.

Last edited by Htony; 02-25-17 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-24-17, 11:36 PM
Bgteacher
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, nothing like learning from the experience and knowledge of others. Non-interference engines are not as efficient as interference engines. Modern TB require maintenance at a reasonable interval.(100k/10yr) If maintained properly a chain will last as long as the engine. Lexus used interference engines which complement VVTi Technology. Rubber Oil lines needed to be switched to metal in late model Gen 2 RX 350s (recalled). BMWs have crappy chains. Nobody has experienced a snapped TB, but everyone agrees that they be R&R 100k or 10 years. How did I do? Did I pass the CL test? Thanks again!😃

BGTeacher
Old 02-25-17, 12:10 AM
Bgteacher
Driver School Candidate

I re-read the posts, I also know of many TB failures too, but never on a Lexus. Is this a Lexus Quality/superior design issue? Or is this a Lexus Owners take better care of their cars than the average Joe phenomenon? Heck, there are a bunch of used Lexi out there, 3rd, 4th owners, you don't see TB failures on RXs, maybe bcuz original/2nd owners followed maintenance schedules better than generic name plates?
Old 02-25-17, 09:04 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by thomas1
RX300 was also an interference engine, it had VVTi technology also.
You are right, just looked into it, looks like the gen 4 camry was the last to see the non-VVTi 1MZ-FE not the RX300.

I re-read the posts, I also know of many TB failures too, but never on a Lexus. Is this a Lexus Quality/superior design issue? Or is this a Lexus Owners take better care of their cars than the average Joe phenomenon? Heck, there are a bunch of used Lexi out there, 3rd, 4th owners, you don't see TB failures on RXs, maybe bcuz original/2nd owners followed maintenance schedules better than generic name plates?
I find it an owner thing, if you own a Lexus or any luxury variant, you're more willing to invest into/maintain it versus say a Toyota or Honda. I know a lot of people who snap TB belts on Toyota's but trying to squeeze every dollar out of it, thankfully it was on non-interference engines on older camry's.

Lexus belts are fairly high quality and I think the manufacture is Mitsuboshi? belts which are good stuff. Then again, any belt changed within reasonable time will last the duration of the recommended interval.

Last edited by Lexuswiz; 02-25-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 11:11 AM
Bgteacher
Driver School Candidate

Lexuswiz

You are right, the OEM belt is Mitsubishi. Many R&R's are done with cheaper belts, Gates, Aisin, etc. Wow, I wonder if we are experiencing such a good life span on the Mitsubishi belts, we should pay the extra money and make sure we get this OEM belt when we do the TB WP R&R? maybe dealers and Indys use non OEM WP too? Man, maybe we need to figure out the specific OEM kit for this R&R? Or have you guys done this already? I am a rookie.

BGTeacher
Old 02-25-17, 11:20 AM
Bgteacher
Driver School Candidate

Haven't you noticed when you buy the generic Made in China auto parts, they just don't hold up like the OEM part? Man, I got burned when I go to my local big box parts store. You end up paying for the R&R twice! Maybe the Pros on this site can point us to the best parts for the TB/WP kit?
Old 02-25-17, 01:13 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

My timing belt is being done as we speak. I pieced the parts together individually, using the best I could without going to the dealer. Lexus/Toyota dealers will always use OEM parts, unless you provide your own (which they will not honor their parts warranty but will labor). Honestly, I've used and heard of using non-OEM belts on Toyos with no issues, Gates and Aisin are fine and good brands but again, still using them within their recommended intervals.

My list:
Mitsuboshi Timing belt
Toyota Drive belt and power steering belt
Aisin water pump
Kyoto idlers (2)
NTN Hydraulic Tensioner
Stone seals (3)
Old 02-25-17, 03:03 PM
Bgteacher
Driver School Candidate

Lexuswiz, Thanks for your parts list for the TB/WP service. All parts you listed are top shelve parts. I guess those of us that go to an independent Lexus mechanic or DIY should use your list if we want to play it safe. I would agree made in USA parts are good, but so much outsourcing is being done, I just didn't know about quality of parts being used locally. You have worked on more Toyos and Lexus cars than I, so you green lighting the manufacturers you mentioned speaks volumes. Thanks!

Quick Reply: RX330 Timing Belt