RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Dash Speaker Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 07:49 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RX330 Dash Speaker Removal

My Mark Levinson stereo recently began sounding terrible and I isolated it to the front right dash speaker. The three dash speakers for the ML stereo are identical, approximately 3 inch, 8 ohm squawkers (mid-range) speakers. The grill for the center speaker is easily removed using fingernails to pry it up. The corner speakers are flush with the dash but come out pretty easily once you know how to do it.

Searching I found this thread in the 3GS forum that I used as a guide for removing my speaker.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-removal.html

Step 1 pry up the front of the grill with a credit card or something similar.

2. Once the grill is lifted enough use your fingers to pop the two posts that are at the back (closest to seats).

Slide the grill out towards the seat. Bottom of the grill shown. There are two tabs that slide into the front of the dash. The two yellow posts are what are being pried up.

Unbolt the two 10 mm bolts and then slide the speaker p and back. I used a socket on the back bolt . The front bolt required an open-end wrench since there was not enough clearance for a socket.

Removal of the connector requires small hands. There is a small tab on the harness side of the connector that needs to be depressed to release the speaker side of the connector.

Reverse the above steps to install.
I used a rag (not shown in the pictures) to protect my new dash while I was removing and installing the speaker.

Last edited by JoeInHNL; 02-06-17 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-06-17, 07:55 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

To confirm I had isolated the problem, I swapped my right speaker with the center speaker. The distortion followed the speaker.

I have ordered one of these to replace the bad speaker:
http://www.parts-express.com/faitalp...-ohm--294-1104

A new ML speaker lists for over $150 and with the possibility having to replace two more in the future I wanted an alternative. It might require a little grinding of the mounting plate in the area of the two mounting tabs I will not be using, otherwise it should fit fine.

I will update after I install it.

Aloha, Joe
Old 02-09-17, 05:55 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received and installed the new speaker today. It took a little modification, but it fits and sounds as good as the other dash speakers.

I had to cut-off one tab since it interfered with one of the posts for the grill. I also had to drill out the holes and slot one of the mounting tabs I was using since the original speaker tabs do not line-up with the center of the speaker.

Splice on some connectors for the speaker to the original connector that attaches to the harness. Add some foam since the original speaker had some (anti-rattle?).

Install with original bolts.

And finally I put some self-adhesive foam around the underside of the grill to replace the foam on the original speaker.

Good as new for a lot less money.

Aloha, Joe
The following users liked this post:
peaceful97 (07-12-18)