RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Diesel guy looking at my first lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 04:33 AM
Cabloom44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel guy looking at my first lexus

Hello folks. I'm looking for a "new" vehicle for my wife. Looking at small awd vehicles and came across a 04 lexus rx. I'm use to diesels and the high mileage reliability that comes with them (powerstroke has 290k and tdi has 235) this chicken has 134 which doesnt really scare me. I'm thinking a belt would need done if it hasn't already..anyway of telling? Maybe sticker under the hood? What else shoukd I be looking at. I want a car that will last and out of the small suvs I have seen these seems to have little trouble and pretty easy to work on. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-01-17, 05:06 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome!

If you don't find a sticker stating a belt was done, assume it wasn't. I'm not sure of a way to really tell, as sometimes belts with 100k+ miles can still look near new.

See if you can find maintenance records. If the seller doesn't have any, and there's no Carfax provided, it may be worth the $35 to run the report. Mine shows dealer repairs and maintenance items that even the Lexus website doesn't show, and vise versa. You may find clue to recurring issues. At a minimum, check and change out all fluids.

I bought my '05 AWD this past November with 130k on it. It was a 2-owner, and the last owner had it about 9 years and drove it about 100k miles, so that's a good sign.

Some issues mine has -
AFS headlight sensor (not all have this) needs fixed/replaced
Rear struts need done and alignment
Rear sway bar links and bushings
Transmission has developed a slip from 2-3, but a 1/2 bottle of Lucas has calmed that down, it seems.
Headlights leak - moisture issues. You'll want to pull the bumper and lights, and seal them up, especially if they're HID. Be sure to seal the HID ballast compartment on the bottom while they're out... something I forgot to do.
Replaced the hatch struts
Rear wheel bearings
Needs parking brake shoes
Driver's door mirror shakes - screws were loose, and one is missing.

Overall, it seems to be a pretty good vehicle. One member here bought one a few years ago with 230k miles on it. She added another 200k miles with minimal issues until the transfer case started to go.
Old 02-01-17, 09:11 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The Timing Belt shouldn't be taken for granted, if no reliable service records are available best to look into it.
My recently purchased 05 RX330 AWD with 137,000, the Timing Belt was a concern. There is no way of telling if the Timing Belt was replaced the easy way.
Many parts have to be taken off for visual inspection. My Timing Belt was heavily glazed & cracked from use & the fact it was 11 years old therefore also deteriorated from age.
The new Timing Belt was much thicker than the used one.
I purchased a Kit to also replace other parts as the Water Pump at the same time, more about that here...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-rx330-2.html
Old 02-01-17, 01:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

A free way to see if the car has service records (if done at the dealer) is to log onto my Lexus and go to the owners section, enter the vin number and you'll be able to pull up anything that's been done since new
Old 02-01-17, 02:35 PM
Cabloom44
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, however I signed up on the lexus website and went to enter the Vin and it says it's not a valid Vin for the model of vehicle. Any idea what would be wrong?
Old 02-02-17, 02:20 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cabloom44
Thanks for the info, however I signed up on the lexus website and went to enter the Vin and it says it's not a valid Vin for the model of vehicle. Any idea what would be wrong?
That's odd, I also tried although was told there are no service records for the vehicle entered.
Which wasn't much a surprise since the Lexus leather portfolio which I found in the SUV that contains all the Manuals & Maintenance Records still looks brand new with nothing written anywhere.
No big deal as there are several other ways to tell if a vehicle is worthwhile purchasing or not.
Old 02-02-17, 05:52 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
A free way to see if the car has service records (if done at the dealer) is to log onto my Lexus and go to the owners section, enter the vin number and you'll be able to pull up anything that's been done since new
For whatever reason, that isn't necessarily accurate, either. When I log in, it shows 5 entries, but Carfax shows an entry entered from a Lexus dealer that the Lexus website makes no mention of. That's why I said to check Carfax as well. Many service stations will have data for Carfax to pull that the Lexus dealer wouldn't show. Mine shows dozens of service records from independent shops, and there are several from a new car dealer (non-Lexus) that has done service on it.

Carfax shows the brake master cylinder was replaced/repaired at a Lexus dealer, but no mention of that on the Lexus site. However, the Lexus site shows an entry for "BLG Pulley Campaign" done that wasn't on Carfax. When it comes to out of warranty, not many people will pay dealer prices for service, or a Lexus dealer is too far away. My closest dealer is 45 miles away, and I can guarantee the only time I'd go there is for a warranted repair or recall if I purchased one there. That's why Carfax can show a LOT of entries that Lexus won't.
Old 02-02-17, 05:53 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

I had the same problem. It took about 5 or 6 tries (maybe more, don't remember) before it finally worked. The whole Lexus website is rather terrible. It takes FOREVER to load, and I know it's not my computer or 125Mbps internet connection... Keep trying. It should eventually work.
Old 02-02-17, 05:57 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
That's odd, I also tried although was told there are no service records for the vehicle entered.
Which wasn't much a surprise since the Lexus leather portfolio which I found in the SUV that contains all the Manuals & Maintenance Records still looks brand new with nothing written anywhere.
No big deal as there are several other ways to tell if a vehicle is worthwhile purchasing or not.
When you're on the page, you have to click on "VIEW ALL SERVICE HISTORY" to pull up any records.
Old 02-02-17, 06:50 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedGemini
When you're on the page, you have to click on "VIEW ALL SERVICE HISTORY" to pull up any records.
In my case, the "View All Service History" option does not show up, instead I receive a "Enter Another Vehicle Or Contact Your Lexus Dealer" message.
Although Carfax as you recommended does show 43 reports for my RX330, since I already purchased the vehicle at a giveaway price, have a good idea of what minor issues need to be done presently & plan to keep it as long as possible....
I feel there is no need to pay $39.95 for a report, rather invest in some needed parts. If I ever decide to sell my RX330, I will pull then the report, favorable or not. Although $69.95 for unlimited Carfax reports is a great deal for someone that changes vehicles often, for any purchase price for a vehicle.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 02-02-17 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 10:29 AM
Cabloom44
Driver School Candidate

I have the carfax from the dealer. Long story short. 2 owners. The first owner had a bunch of service from the local Toyota dealer up to 50k. Sold to the second owner from 50-134k no service records other than the registration yearly. So maybe they just changed fluids themselves? Maybe not. Also I believe 2 minor warrenty issues done. No me ton of a belt done either. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see if it's worth it. Thanks for the help folks
Old 02-02-17, 11:27 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

I have the carfax from the dealer. Long story short. 2 owners. The first owner had a bunch of service from the local Toyota dealer up to 50k. Sold to the second owner from 50-134k no service records other than the registration yearly. So maybe they just changed fluids themselves? Maybe not. Also I believe 2 minor warrenty issues done. No me ton of a belt done either. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see if it's worth it. Thanks for the help folks
Of course price enters into the equation, whatever you can find that needs to be done should be reflected in the offer for purchase.
Fortunately in my case paying $2,400. knowing there where no major repairs as for the engine or transmission, the body with no rust, interior was clean & functional, I couldn't go wrong.
Timing Belt & the tune up is considered as maintenance, once done, the RX330 should be major issue free for another 90,000 miles if you did your homework at the time of purchase.