RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need Help with removing VVT (OCV) on RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 07:58 AM
kyancy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with removing VVT (OCV) on RX350

Hello,

I need to replace the VVT Solenoid (OCV) on my Wifes 2008 RX350. Tons of examples online but they are all for 300 models or similar and thus no help.

Loosening the solenoid was easy, and I have a replacement part. My issue is getting it out as on the 350 there is the hard black plastic cable harness in the way. For the other models I found examples for, doesn't have this obstacle. I highlighted the harness in the picture in yellow.

What is the minimum I must remove to get this thing enough out of the way to slide out that solenoid? Maybe removing the hard plastic cover would be enough for me to squeeze it out, but not sure if that's possible.

Additional question, where can I find the oil line filter on these RX 350s? I'm guessing it may be under the hex nut just to the lower left of where I highlighted the VVT in green but not sure. Figured I should check that filter as well.

Sincerely appreciate any information you guys can provide. My Wife out of town today so hoping I can get repaired and still enjoy some me time before she returns :-)

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Need Help with removing VVT (OCV) on RX350-vvt_ocv.jpg  

Last edited by kyancy; 01-21-17 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 09:16 AM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kyancy
Hello,

I need to replace the VVT Solenoid (OCV) on my Wifes 2008 RX350. Tons of examples online but they are all for 300 models or similar and thus no help.

Loosening the solenoid was easy, and I have a replacement part. My issue is getting it out as on the 350 there is the hard black plastic cable harness in the way. For the other models I found examples for, doesn't have this obstacle. I highlighted the harness in the picture in yellow.

What is the minimum I must remove to get this thing enough out of the way to slide out that solenoid? Maybe removing the hard plastic cover would be enough for me to squeeze it out, but not sure if that's possible.

Additional question, where can I find the oil line filter on these RX 350s? I'm guessing it may be under the hex nut just to the lower left of where I highlighted the VVT in green but not sure. Figured I should check that filter as well.

Sincerely appreciate any information you guys can provide. My Wife out of town today so hoping I can get repaired and still enjoy some me time before she returns :-)

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
Did you figure out how to remove the OCV/VVT solenoid? And did you replace just one? I believe there are 4 VVT solenoids (left & right on bank1, left & right on bank2). Most people mentioned that they should be replaced in pair ... and did you locate the VVT oil filter screen as well. I might be interested in knowing where it is located as well. Is there only one filter screen or are there two or more? Thanks.
Old 10-17-17, 11:14 PM
kcknebel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably too late, but from what I can tell there is no VVT Oil screen/filter on the 2GR-FE engine.

Last edited by kcknebel; 10-17-17 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 08:42 PM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyancy
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
hi Kevin. Wanted to see if you had any resolution to this problem you posted about. I also have the VVT solenoid issue on my 2007/8 RX350 and am about to tackle the job. Was looking for insight before I did it. Let me know any and all help if you can. I plan to replace all 4 but see no DIY for our car on this site unfortunately. Thanks.
Old 12-14-21, 03:55 PM
unebonnevi
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kcknebel
Probably too late, but from what I can tell there is no VVT Oil screen/filter on the 2GR-FE engine.
There is! It's a tiny mesh type of filter. See the original post's picture. The filter is held into valve cover by a banjo bolt, which is the bolt lower left corner of the picture posted by the original poster. The filter costs $5-$10 at the dealer. MUST be careful taking out the banjo bolt!
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (12-14-21)
Old 12-14-21, 10:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 867 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by unebonnevi
There is! It's a tiny mesh type of filter. See the original post's picture. The filter is held into valve cover by a banjo bolt, which is the bolt lower left corner of the picture posted by the original poster. The filter costs $5-$10 at the dealer. MUST be careful taking out the banjo bolt!
This is true.
Been running Mobil 1 synthetic and the screens were still clean like new when I pulled them at 150K+ miles.
Since I had already bought new replacements I went ahead and put them in anyway while it was apart.