RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

AFS Light Flashing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 01:44 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default AFS Light Flashing?

Experiencing the annoying AFS light flashing, according to the scanner the sensor is defective, found a great price for an aftermarket Dorman on Ebay (for those who may need one)......
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/162282105407?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
will install the sensor next Friday & update the results.
Old 01-14-17, 02:17 PM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

If you search youtube, you'll find videos on how to take it apart and clean it. Also, it could be the arm that connects to the sensor that's broken, which is quite common.
Old 01-14-17, 02:51 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

The arm is fine, once the sensor is replaced I will look into trying to recycle the old sensor to keep as a spare for the future.
As an immediate reliable solution, I couldn't go wrong at $19.95 for a new one.
Old 01-15-17, 05:44 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

As you mentioned in your thread about the key repair, R&R of the sensor would cost $0, and it wouldn't take much time to do it...

I'll have to do mine at some point, as it occasionally takes short fits when it's wet outside. They're susceptible to water ingress, so silicone is needed to seal it up when finished.

PA's weather is rather nasty as of right now, so I'll have to wait for a warmer day when I have off to tackle it. I'll have to pull the headlights, again, and try to find out where the moisture is still getting in. I'm suspecting the bottom cover where the HID ballast is... another common problem. I'm still waiting for a decent day to tackle installing the right front fender liner I ordered, since mine was missing for some reason. At least most of the clips and screws are there. I need to find a way to get a screw in the driver's door mirror, as one was missing. I tightened one and replaced another, but since one is still missing, the mirror glass vibrates, and the housing assembly still has some play in it... another semi-common issue. If your mirrors have any play, tighten the screws. The caps that cover the screws are also known to fall off, meaning loose screws can fall out and be gone forever. The top tabs are broken off of both headlights, but Lexus was nice enough to put screw holes on them so you can purchase replacement tabs at $27+ each to fix them... if you can even find them without going to a dealer.

I love this thing, but there are lots of little details Lexus really cheaped out on to save a buck here and there. Some are easy, cheap fixes (door mirror screws), while others can be time-consuming or very costly (AFS headlights with moisture problems). From what I can find, there are no aftermarket headlights compatible with the AFS system.
The following users liked this post:
05RX330AWD (01-15-17)
Old 01-15-17, 06:35 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Ironically, as I drove my wife to work this morning, NO AFS flashing for the first time since I purchased the SUV about 2 weeks ago, therefore there seems to be some life left in the sensor. Then I hit a small pothole with the passenger back wheel the AFS light started flashing again. I already purchased the new sensor therefore will have it installed by my trustworthy, reasonable $$$ mechanic who detected the AFS fault with his professional scanner with the Lexus program. At the same time he will do the timing belt/ water pump job. Unfortunately I do not have access to a garage & as a retired old fart, the odds are better than average I may never get up again if I remove a back wheel to lie down on ice & snow in 7 Degree F weather. I'll need to wait for Spring for any DIY tasks. Your info regarding moisture makes sense, silicone it is.
Old 01-21-17, 06:06 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

The 3 way sensor pigtail is completely rotted out as are the connections of the old sensor therefore couldn't install the new sensor.
I prefer to find a pigtail in case the new sensor is by any chance defective, then I would be able to return it if the wires are not cut off.
At least no more annoying AFS flashing light since the sensor is disconnected & the lights just move side to side then center themselves at start up which is fine for now.
Now need to look for a pigtail although purchasing a new pigtail with shipping to Canada would be $60. therefore my best option will be the wreckers to find a clean one.
Anyone know if I can find one in the engine compartment of a Toyota model with a 3MZFE engine?
Old 01-22-17, 08:37 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
The 3 way sensor pigtail is completely rotted out as are the connections of the old sensor therefore couldn't install the new sensor.
I prefer to find a pigtail in case the new sensor is by any chance defective, then I would be able to return it if the wires are not cut off.
At least no more annoying AFS flashing light since the sensor is disconnected & the lights just move side to side then center themselves at start up which is fine for now.
Now need to look for a pigtail although purchasing a new pigtail with shipping to Canada would be $60. therefore my best option will be the wreckers to find a clean one.
Anyone know if I can find one in the engine compartment of a Toyota model with a 3MZFE engine?
Doubt it on an Toyota, since I don't know any Toyota that has AFS but plug could be universal. Any chance you have a pic?
Old 01-22-17, 09:30 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Doubt it on an Toyota, since I don't know any Toyota that has AFS but plug could be universal. Any chance you have a pic?
Description states connector for Toyota/ Lexus female auto sensor pigtail 3-way with wire....
Attached Thumbnails AFS Light Flashing?-pigtail.jpg  
Old 01-22-17, 03:36 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Description states connector for Toyota/ Lexus female auto sensor pigtail 3-way with wire....
Personally I've never seen a 3 prong plug like that on a Toyota, 4's on the other hand are more common. And I have worked with a bunch of 3MZ-FEs, 2GR-FEs, 2AZ-FEs, and 2AR-FEs. It comes close to a 3 prong I saw for an alternator plug but the design of the cut-outs inside the plug don't match. It may be a Toyota/Lexus brand but Lexus used exclusive.
The following users liked this post:
05RX330AWD (01-23-17)
Old 01-23-17, 02:53 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Personally I've never seen a 3 prong plug like that on a Toyota, 4's on the other hand are more common. And I have worked with a bunch of 3MZ-FEs, 2GR-FEs, 2AZ-FEs, and 2AR-FEs. It comes close to a 3 prong I saw for an alternator plug but the design of the cut-outs inside the plug don't match. It may be a Toyota/Lexus brand but Lexus used exclusive.
I was actually going to go to the wreckers to check out the alternator plug on some late 90's Toyotas after watching some Toyota engine work/ alternator videos, although it was difficult to tell, kind of looked the same on the videos.....
thanks for telling me about the cut out, saved me a frustrating trip. The photo is of a aftermarket plug but they do not specify any specific models it may fit. For $60 they should.
Old 01-23-17, 11:40 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure if you google you can find it, an exact match.

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/pigtail+electrical/s112.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-toyota-electrical-plug-pigtail.html
Old 01-23-17, 01:44 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

The links provided states 100 as a minimum order, I am not sure what I would do with the remaining 99.
I found several sites in the US or Ebay, the problem is if they offer to ship to Canada, they want around $60. & up.
I will check with various Parts Stores & the Toyota Dealership here. I believe the Lexus official part is a complete harness which sells for $45. US in the USA.
Old 02-09-17, 08:04 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Talking

Finally, AFS functioning perfectly, actually the plug for older Toyota Alternator Plug (similar to the photo shown previously) fits although some tabs needed to be broken off in order to fit perfectly.
Soldered & shrink wrapped the 3 wires, sprayed with some silicone, should be fine for some years to come.
Total cost, $50.00 including the new sensor, connector at the junk yard & my mechanic to complete the job.
Old 02-09-17, 02:48 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Nice, it's been awhile since I saw the plug so not sure the orientation of the tabs but a dremel will ghetto anything haha
Old 02-10-17, 03:20 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

I didn't want to spend more on a plug than the cost of the sensor & the mechanic's services combined....
it didn't make any financial sense.
At first I thought of just replacing the female pins inside the old plug which would have been also possible, but that would be a less assuring long term solution.
Luckily it was plug & play & since the plug was in the engine compartment of the Toyota, it looked as new.
Now the minor issues are down to the Rear Wiper, Fuse blew twice, thinking there is a short in the motor, although I need check the current of the harness to
the motor first & take the motor apart & hope for an easy fix.
Can't seem to find any aftermarket Rear Wiper motors & they are expensive for OEM used, especially if those fail sooner than later.
I also need to replace the Supports for the Liftgate.

Quick Reply: AFS Light Flashing?