RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Newbie looking to make a few upgrades, any recommendations? (Car Starter/Speaker/etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-16, 10:15 AM
RSA90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking to make a few upgrades, any recommendations? (Car Starter/Speaker/etc)

Hello Club Lexus!

I own a 2005 Lexus RX 330 FWD. It is the non-Navigation setup. Well-maintained, no mechanical issues. I am a full-time student, with no experience in upgrades.
I am considering the following changes below, any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Listed by priority:
1) Gas spring. (Usually use a card or screwdriver to get the gas tank open. Will this spring work on my car? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O02K2M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482777236&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=dorman+lexus+rx+330&dpPl=1&dpID=41rhZdE8icL&ref=plSrch
2) Remote car starter, with alarm.
3) Front-passenger speaker blown, looking to replace. (other 3 are fine, should I replace all anyway?)
4) Replacing the media system with an indash -- bluetooth/iphone ready/google maps/etc.
5) HIDs.

I have done plenty of googling, but am starting to feel overloaded with the vast range of different setups/options available.
Club Lexus, can any of you suggest what might be ideal for me? What is the ideal price range I should be looking at, for each modification?
Any audio brands to steer away from? Is Bestbuy a good place to buy the remote car starter (they offer installation too)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

**Bonus**: I have just moved to Chicago. If any of you are mechanics/ know someone who does quality work with reasonable prices, please get in touch with me.

Thank you,
RSA90

Last edited by RSA90; 12-26-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-26-16, 01:43 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

1) Gas spring. (Usually use a card or screwdriver to get the gas tank open. Will this spring work on my car? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O02K2M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482777236&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=dorman+lexus+rx+330&dpPl=1&dpID=41rhZdE8icL&ref=plSrch

Yes that will work, but I haven't installed one myself, I've only ordered it for a friend. Seems straight forward. This should be something you can DIY, might need a few tools but isn't rocket science.

2) Remote car starter, with alarm.

Just installed a 2-way Viper myself on my Rx330, comes in very handy in the dead of Chicago winters. Usually a 2-way system installed will set you back $500-800 on a Lexus.

3) Front-passenger speaker blown, looking to replace. (other 3 are fine, should I replace all anyway?)

If you're replacing one, you might as well replace them all and using aftermarket speakers. Unless you have the Mark Levinson system, the stock speakers aren't that great. Look into brands like JL, Alpine, MB Quartz, etc. Stick to well known brands no generic ones like Boss or Pyle that's garbage. Speakers come at all kinds of prices but expect to pay at least $100 per set and you need 2, front and back.

4) Replacing the media system with an indash -- bluetooth/iphone ready/google maps/etc.

You're looking at a double din system preferably a Pioneer or Alpine headunit. I'm a fan of Pioneer myself and recommend the new NEX lineup, great units with lots of cool features. If the model name is marked with "AVIC" that means it has navigation built in. Again, prices range but a decent unit will set you back at least $400 for a refurb'ed unit.

5) HIDs.

I do not recommend HID's in a reflector setup. If you do not have the "eyeball" projectors, do not install HID and blind oncoming drivers. I'm tired of seeing cars not made for HID's with bright and very blue HID's. Unless you want to put OEM HID's which is $$$$$, keep it a halogen bulb but upgrade to something like Sylvannia Silver Stars or equivalent.

Chicago huh? I have a few recommendations on the remote start install, not really service as I do that myself.

Last edited by Lexuswiz; 12-26-16 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RSA90 (12-26-16)
Old 12-26-16, 03:04 PM
RSA90
Driver School Candidate

Below are the Viper 2-ways that are available at Bestbuy. Please let me know if these "packages" would be enough, or would I need to purchase any additional hardware to have remote-start function.

1) Viper 4115V1B Remote Start /w Interface Module, Ball-bearing Tilt Switch + GeekSquad Installation -- $249.99 total
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-re...99274700050001
Pros: Cheap car starter, to the point. Car-finder function (What exactly do they mean by this?)
Cons: 1 button, start upto 1500' (feet? That is like 0.25 miles...) for a preset amount of time.

2) Viper 4115V1D Remote Start /w Interface Module, Ball-Bearing Tilt Switch + Installation -- $259.99 total
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-vi...99271800050004
I am not even too sure what the difference is from option #1.
Pros: Starts upto 2000 ft, so I will take that as a pro.
Cons: Same as option #1

3) Viper VSS4X10B Smartphone Start system + GS Installation -- $399.99 total
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-vi...99275700050000
Pros: smartphone-ready, start from anywhere via SmartStart GPS module,
Cons: No additional keyfob included, only 60-day trial is included ($179.99 for 3 years)

4) Viper 4806V 2-way LED Remote Start, Tilt Switch, Interface Module + Installation -- $439.99 total
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-vi...99271900050001
Pros: 2 keyfobs, start upto 1 mile away, get updates from car (interior temp display)
Cons: Pricey

5) Viper Responder LC3-5706V 2-way Remote Start, Security System, Tilt Switch, Module + Installation -- $599.99 total
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-vi...99273100050000
Pros: two 2-ways included along with one 1-way, start upto 1 mile away, get updates from car, anti-carjacking mode

So yeah.. at this point I am considering options #1 or 2, or either options #4 or 5. I am about to read the reviews of each package, but meanwhile I would really appreciate it if you can share your personal experiences/recommendations on which would be best suitable. Also, if you know any dealers who can provide these options at a cheaper price, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-16, 05:33 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are a student, consider DIY. If you know which end is the business end of a screwdriver, you can handle most of the fluid changes, but you do need tools. Between youtube and the forum here, you can DIY most things, including speaker installation.
Old 12-26-16, 08:56 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSA90
Below are the Viper 2-ways that are available at Bestbuy. Please let me know if these "packages" would be enough, or would I need to purchase any additional hardware to have remote-start function.

1) Viper 4115V1B Remote Start /w Interface Module, Ball-bearing Tilt Switch + GeekSquad Installation -- $249.99 total
Pros: Cheap car starter, to the point. Car-finder function (What exactly do they mean by this?)
Cons: 1 button, start upto 1500' (feet? That is like 0.25 miles...) for a preset amount of time.

2) Viper 4115V1D Remote Start /w Interface Module, Ball-Bearing Tilt Switch + Installation -- $259.99 total

Cons: No additional keyfob included, only 60-day trial is included ($179.99 for 3 years)

4) Viper 4806V 2-way LED Remote Start, Tilt Switch, Interface Module + Installation -- $439.99 total
Pros: 2 keyfobs, start upto 1 mile away, get updates from car (interior temp display)

5) Viper Responder LC3-5706V 2-way Remote Start, Security System, Tilt Switch, Module + Installation -- $599.99 total
Pros: two 2-ways included along with one 1-way, start upto 1 mile away, get updates from car, anti-carjacking mode

So yeah.. at this point I am considering options #1 or 2, or either options #4 or 5. I am about to read the reviews of each package, but meanwhile I would really appreciate it if you can share your personal experiences/recommendations on which would be best suitable. Also, if you know any dealers who can provide these options at a cheaper price, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
For a car like a Lexus, I would save up and go the whole 9 yards with units like 3, 4, or 5. Either 2-way or App Controlled. Any brand by DEI is fine such as Viper, Avital, Python, etc. Avoid Best Buy, I have heard a few bad stories from the ones near me. You also don't really need a tilt sensor, the shock sensor should be enough and that included in most kits. If a thief wants to throw your car on a flatbed, it's gone no matter what, tilt sensor or not.

None of it mentions a immobilizer bypass (unless its called "interface module") and that needs to be taken into consideration as you have a chip in your key. This was the hardest part to get working when I installed my RS in the 330 in my garage. It costs extra and needs more wires then a key sacrifice.

Shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to talk.
Old 12-26-16, 09:02 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know you don't want to hear it, but if you are a student, you should work on staying within a budget, and there is no necessity about remote start.
Old 12-26-16, 09:25 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by numbafree
I know you don't want to hear it, but if you are a student, you should work on staying within a budget, and there is no necessity about remote start.
This depends, in CA it wouldn't be on the top of my list or even on my list. A few days ago, Chicago was -30 degrees (w/windchill) and it was brutal to get cars to warm up, I am dependent on it. Also, if OP is skilled enough, it is something DIY-able just not the easiest, installed my first remote start in high school lol.
Old 12-27-16, 06:09 AM
RSA90
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to all for the suggestions! I definitely should be staying under a budget. I am fairly a DIY kind of guy, however I do not have tools with me, nor have I ever attempted to do any work on my car. Speakers seem like something I might be able to do with the right tutorials/YouTube videos.. but installing a car starter seems way out of my league.

also, a car starter makes a huge difference, depending where you are located of course. As another poster mentioned, car starters are critical for winters in Chicago. it is definitely at the top of my list of priorities.

i will send you a pm, perhaps you know some places where I can get the car starter done at a cheaper price. Thank you to all for your help, once again.
Old 12-27-16, 06:13 AM
RSA90
Driver School Candidate

Default Car starter in Chicago?

Hey again, I'd like to shop around for alternatives to bestbuy to get some things done. I am new to Chicago, I live in the south-loop area. Willing to travel if the prices are reasonable. I am also looking for someone to install the car starter, preferably someone with experience in Toyota/Lexus with reasonable prices. Let me know if you know someone, Id really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Old 12-27-16, 06:25 AM
RSA90
Driver School Candidate

Bump! I am also looking for good wheel locks. My current stock rims are 18" with new Bridgestones I purchased. Any suggestions for which wheel locks kits, that are cost-friendly? Also are wheel locks DIY?
I would really appreciate it if you can post a direct link to any of the products I am looking for.

Thank you, Club Lexus.
Old 12-27-16, 08:25 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Hey again, I'd like to shop around for alternatives to bestbuy to get some things done. I am new to Chicago, I live in the south-loop area. Willing to travel if the prices are reasonable. I am also looking for someone to install the car starter, preferably someone with experience in Toyota/Lexus with reasonable prices. Let me know if you know someone, Id really appreciate it.
Thanks!
I'll be honest, the install is something you do not want to skimp on. This is where I've seen the most problems even if the unit itself is top dollar. This is where you will want to invest and spend the most on.

My suggestions:
ABT Electronics - Glenview - Hands down the best, pricey but comes with lifetime warranty. Last quote I got from them for my 330 was $600 for viper 2-way. A family member of mine still has a working RS from 2001 from them.
Mobile Audio & Alarm Inc - Chicago - Cheaper and decent work, probably the place you want to go to for the best price.

Bump! I am also looking for good wheel locks. My current stock rims are 18" with new Bridgestones I purchased. Any suggestions for which wheel locks kits, that are cost-friendly? Also are wheel locks DIY?
I would really appreciate it if you can post a direct link to any of the products I am looking for.

Thank you, Club Lexus.
Wheel locks are very DIY but you really don't need them, your wheels are not in demand. In Chicago, the hottest wheels right now are the ones that come off of Honda Accord Sports, they're being stolen left and right. Locks are also very annoying especially if you lose the key.

Last edited by Lexuswiz; 12-27-16 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-28-16, 12:06 PM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Just change out old yellowish halogen bulbs and put in some 4300K [blue coat] halogen bulbs, far way better than old ones.

Philips Diamond Version halogen bulb will have 5000K if you need super white color.

Old DRL bulb vs New DRL [High beam] 4300K bulb

New DRL 4300K blue bulb

New high beam/DRL 4300K vs Old low beam [outside]

Last edited by 5W40; 12-28-16 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 10:47 AM
cherrypik
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!
Hey bud, which remote starter option did you go with? I have a 2008 RX400h and I'm looking at the Viper 4806V. Where did you get it installed? Would you recommend them?
Old 01-12-17, 06:31 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by cherrypik
Hey bud, which remote starter option did you go with? I have a 2008 RX400h and I'm looking at the Viper 4806V. Where did you get it installed? Would you recommend them?
I'm not OP but I'd recommend the LCD 2-ways vs. the non-LCD 2-ways such as the 4806V you suggested, I find the LCD version have a bit better range (not a day and night difference though) and LCD feedback is much easier to interpret versus the lights. Plus it's only a bit more. I put a refurb'ed 5706V on my Lexus and have not regretted it and have put Viper LCD 2-ways on a few cars myself with little issues.

But, I've never worked with Hybrid car. I tried touching a Prius, then backed off. Seems likes HVAC controls are run off the hybrid battery not the engine battery. Not sure if it's the same with the 400h.

My recommendations for installers: ABT electronics. Only them since your car is a hybrid and would not risk it. I've seen very shady places in the city which turned to me self installs in my garage.
Old 02-09-17, 09:33 PM
Pepp
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just came across your thread and not sure how far you made it with your upgrades. Want to recommend Cruthfield for all your stereo needs. If you haven't heard of them they are an online stereo retailer. They supply you with everything you need including detailed instructions specific for your vehicle, excellent tech support that you can talk directly to if having install problems as well as providing everything you need when you purchase an item. If you buy your speakers thru them they also include for free the wiring harnesses for direct plug into your existing wiring harness( no cutting or splicing wires) if you order your head unit they offer everything you need for a complete install at a greatly ruduced discount. For my stereo exchange they gave me a the new faceplate,wiring harness, a small amp to override the factory amp and a small conductor that was required to have my a/c heat function when I switched the head unit. I suggest you at least visit there website and look, you can type in your vehicle and they will tell you exactly what fits your car and what is needed for a complete install.no, I don't work for them, just a very satisfied dedicated customer. I have bought all my stereo equipment from them for years and would never buy from anyone else.