RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Coverlay Dashboard Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 08:14 AM
snydertalo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coverlay Dashboard Replacement

TL;DR:Has anyone ever used one of these or know anything about them: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....433555&jsn=322

So I've got the normal dash cracking issue. The nearest Lexus dealer is 3 hours away. They put me on the list when the recall first started, but they got rid of the list all together. They say because of how slow Lexus is sending out the parts that they stop doing the list. Instead, anyone with an issue can just drive in and have them look at it. Then, they will order the part and you just drive back and they will take care of it. Yay 12 hours of driving.

So I use 3 gallons of gas per hour of driving. That's 3 gallons x 3 hours per leg x 2 for there and back x 2 for a second trip, or 36 gallons. I pay about 2.25 per gallon so $81.
For the first trip, they said is was a 15 minute appointment and the second it will be 4 - 8 hours. For me, that turns into 16-20 hours (driving + waiting). I'm not going to just wait there, so I would have my wife drive up with me, the second time (extra $81 for second car gas). So our total time is now 26-30 man-hours and $162. I can buy this from Rockauto http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....433555&jsn=322 for 270.

So basically the comparison of have Lexus fix their problem vs. fixing it on my own would mean that my wife and I would have to earn roughly $4.15 an hour for Lexus to be worth it (270 - 162)/26. For arguments sake, assume we earn at least minimum wage. So the time + money makes the self fix worth it.

Has anyone ever used these? How do they compare to OEM?

2007 RX 350
The following users liked this post:
05rx (12-26-16)
Old 12-22-16, 08:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Have you tried calling the dealer and explaining the situation and ask if you can send pictures or FaceTime with one of their techs to show them the issue?

Doesnt help with the trip to fix it but at least for the formal diagnosis needed.
Old 12-22-16, 11:17 AM
snydertalo
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Have you tried calling the dealer and explaining the situation and ask if you can send pictures or FaceTime with one of their techs to show them the issue?

Doesnt help with the trip to fix it but at least for the formal diagnosis needed.
Yeah I called them up. They won't budge on it because they have other customers coming from farther away. I called up Lexus corporate and they said that they won't do anything about it either (to include having the local Toyota dealer do it).
Old 12-22-16, 05:45 PM
chrisp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been following those also. Also getting no where with Lexus Corporate and Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX. "I am on the list and will be notified when it is in". Corporate tells me that there will be no expiration date since they have been notified of my dash. Doesn't help me at all.
Getting back to Coverlay, I've seen the videos but have yet to see one in person, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Plus, until your post, I'd hadn't seen them at that low of a price. My 2005 is in great shape except for the dash and it is so embarrassing to take people out in it as bad as mine is. And, you can't trade it in unless you want to take a pretty good hit for the dash being that bad. So, it spends a lot of time in the garage now. I drive my Tacoma and my wife drives her GX460.
Old 12-26-16, 08:37 PM
05rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I was not aware

Originally Posted by snydertalo
TL;DR:Has anyone ever used one of these or know anything about them: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7177200&cc=1433555&jsn=322

So I've got the normal dash cracking issue. The nearest Lexus dealer is 3 hours away. They put me on the list when the recall first started, but they got rid of the list all together. They say because of how slow Lexus is sending out the parts that they stop doing the list. Instead, anyone with an issue can just drive in and have them look at it. Then, they will order the part and you just drive back and they will take care of it. Yay 12 hours of driving.

So I use 3 gallons of gas per hour of driving. That's 3 gallons x 3 hours per leg x 2 for there and back x 2 for a second trip, or 36 gallons. I pay about 2.25 per gallon so $81.
For the first trip, they said is was a 15 minute appointment and the second it will be 4 - 8 hours. For me, that turns into 16-20 hours (driving + waiting). I'm not going to just wait there, so I would have my wife drive up with me, the second time (extra $81 for second car gas). So our total time is now 26-30 man-hours and $162. I can buy this from Rockauto http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7177200&cc=1433555&jsn=322 for 270.

So basically the comparison of have Lexus fix their problem vs. fixing it on my own would mean that my wife and I would have to earn roughly $4.15 an hour for Lexus to be worth it (270 - 162)/26. For arguments sake, assume we earn at least minimum wage. So the time + money makes the self fix worth it.

Has anyone ever used these? How do they compare to OEM?

2007 RX 350
I will keep an eye on this Coverlay product my 05 RX needs something beside the carpet over it. With 50k miles I am keeping it forever. TY
Old 01-02-17, 06:45 AM
snydertalo
Driver

Originally Posted by chrisp
Been following those also. Also getting no where with Lexus Corporate and Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX. "I am on the list and will be notified when it is in". Corporate tells me that there will be no expiration date since they have been notified of my dash. Doesn't help me at all.
Getting back to Coverlay, I've seen the videos but have yet to see one in person, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Plus, until your post, I'd hadn't seen them at that low of a price. My 2005 is in great shape except for the dash and it is so embarrassing to take people out in it as bad as mine is. And, you can't trade it in unless you want to take a pretty good hit for the dash being that bad. So, it spends a lot of time in the garage now. I drive my Tacoma and my wife drives her GX460.

So I bit the bullet and made the drive out there. It took them less time to look at everything and document it than it did for me to find the latrine.

Maybe you can talk to your dealer and let them know what other dealers are doing. Call up Lexus of Mobile to ask/find out the specific terms they're using to get yours to follow suit.
Old 01-05-17, 10:56 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

I was looking at information about the Coverlay and came across a competing product, Accu-Form Dash Cap. I know nothing about the quality of either product but the Accu-Form claims to be an exact color match. Coverlay just says it will be close in color.
Old 01-06-17, 08:40 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I was looking at information about the Coverlay and came across a competing product, Accu-Form Dash Cap. I know nothing about the quality of either product but the Accu-Form claims to be an exact color match. Coverlay just says it will be close in color.
Unless you're finding something for the RX, their website only shows some dash caps for a few domestic vehicles. Nothing at all on their website for Lexus.
Old 01-06-17, 11:36 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Unless you're finding something for the RX, their website only shows some dash caps for a few domestic vehicles. Nothing at all on their website for Lexus.
My bad. I did not do exact model checking, I just read the generic marketing stuff.