RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

HELP 2005 RX330 ABS+Break+VSC+TPMS flashing

Old 11-30-16, 01:18 PM
aldricwang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face HELP 2005 RX330 ABS+Break+VSC+TPMS flashing

Hello Everyone,
Im experiencing some issue lately
These light will randomly show up after driving for a while.
When the engine off and turn it back on, it will become normal and warning lights gone.
This is 2005 RX 330 AWD w/Navi 85k miles.

I have read that it might be the break light switch defect, but the rear light acting normal when i step the break. car drives normal.
Battery checked, Gas cap Checked, Tire pressure checked, use Autel AL519 obdII scanner, but no code pulled.
What could be the issue? Any of you have this kind of problem?

Old 11-30-16, 02:17 PM
mic575
Driver School Candidate

I had those lights on my 07' and it indeed was the Brake Light Switch. I had to go to the parts store to get them to pull the code, my scangauge could not detect that fault. I replaced the switch with help from info here and the lights went out. That said, my TMPS light was unrelated. I had to replace a TPMS sensor to get it to go out, yours could be as simple as a low spare tire.
I would start by getting that code read and go from there.
Old 11-30-16, 02:20 PM
aldricwang
Driver School Candidate

Thank you @mic575, I will check spare tire pressure and keep updating here.
Old 12-01-16, 03:11 PM
aldricwang
Driver School Candidate

Spare Tire pressure checked, normal , 35psi, door sticker recommend at 30. Will wait the light show up and go to auto part get the code pulled.
Old 12-03-16, 08:36 AM
sladerx
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you go to the store to get a brake light switch, do NOT get a JA475 from Autozone. The switch housing is 1/2" larger than stock and there is no room for the harness connector. Ask me how I know! It isn't even close: there isn't room for the connector itself, much less relief for the wire pigtail. There is a large steel steering wheel support bracket just above the switch that cannot be moved!

I have an 07 RX350, so yours could be slightly different, but consider yourself warned. Advance Auto doesn't list a switch at all for my rx, so I guess their parts interchange knows that switch is incompatible. Do it right or do it twice! Otherwise, It's an easy job if you have 14mm stubby wrench.

Get a 84340-04030 from Toyota/Lexus (supercedes 84340-0E020)

Also, that scanner will not read "enhanced" codes for ABS/Airbag/Transmission for toyota products, but here is a bluetooth one that will: https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bl.../dp/B00652G4TS

Last edited by sladerx; 12-03-16 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-03-16, 11:08 PM
aldricwang
Driver School Candidate

Thank you @sladerx, Im waiting for the light to come up and try to go to auto zone get the code pulled. I will change break light switch if thats the problem. Do you know how should i change the break light switch? if its not hard i prefer do it myself.
Old 12-06-16, 10:25 AM
sladerx
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

@aldricwang
Here you go, hot off the press:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9699242
The following users liked this post:
hyperdub (02-29-24)
Old 12-06-16, 12:25 PM
aldricwang
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Thank you so much @sladerx !! I will change my break light switch soon and update here, hopefully can give other people help.
Old 01-11-17, 10:23 AM
marty99
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My 05 RX330 had the same issue. Ordered a genuine Toyota / Lexus part# 84340-20060 (newest replacement number from Lexus). You need a 10mm socket for the dash panel, a Philips screw driver, and a 14mm 'short' wrench to loosen the nut holding the original switch in place. Took 20 minutes prep, 5 minutes to replace, $40 for the part off eBay. I only had a single test drive, but so far, so good.

Start by gently peeling back the trim by the drivers door, just under the dash. Remove the 10mm bolt.

Pull back on the right side of the lower dash trim and undo the screw. This will release the lower dash section under your steering wheel.

GENTLY pull the dash towards you. I left the 9 zillion wires attached, and the plastic just hung on during the repair.

The switch is hard to locate, and difficult to see. Look for a 3" spring, which I unhooked to gain access to the switch.

Unclip the harness at the top of the brake switch. Use a short 14mm wrench to loosen the switch, then spin the assembly out.

Install the new switch, with the adjustment nut in the same place as the original. Test your brake lights. Remember to replace the spring before you close up the dash.

All done. $40 and 25 minutes. I'm a happy Lexus fanboy!

Everything you need to complete the repair!

Last edited by marty99; 01-11-17 at 11:22 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by marty99:
350rx (01-11-17), BadDogMax (04-09-17), hyperdub (02-29-24)
Old 01-25-17, 05:43 PM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for posting this! I had the same problem on my 06 RX400h and off for a few weeks and replaced the brake light switch without any issues.

I ordered my part from a local O'reily. As far as I could tell, it's spot on when compared with the OEM switch.
Old 04-09-17, 08:24 AM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After replacing 3 of the stop switches in 3 years, I decided to take one apart to see what is causing the problem.

There are two electrical circuits and two sets of contacts inside the switch. Apparently if they don't both operate exactly together the ABS computer assumes that there is a fault and lights up the dash warning lights, and flashes the TPMS light.

In the case of the one I disassembled, it looked like there was some grease or dirt on the contacts. There was a black crud that was interfering on both the sliding and stationary sides of the switch. I was able to easily clean off the crud and now the switch works perfectly. Dash lights are off and stay off.

Here were the steps I took, in case they help anyone:

1. Remove switch using procedure above
2. Use a Sharpie to draw a line from the metal part to the plastic part to use for alignment later
3. Bend the 4 tabs around the perimeter of the switch to allow the metal part to separate from the plastic part.
4. Slowly remove the metal part
5. Pry off the thin plastic base that was inside the metal part. There is a spring in here - go slow so it doesn't shoot out.
6. Remove the sliding contact assembly
7. Clean the contacts, both on the sliding assembly and the mating part inside the switch. I used a paper towel and DeOxit contact cleaner. The black stuff came off very easily.
8. Re-assemble in reverse order

I sprayed the contacts with DeOxit (audio contact cleaner and lubricant), but I'm not sure what is best. I'd guess nothing is better than something like dielectric grease that would blacken again. The contacts are gold plated, they should not oxidize.

A new switch is probably a better choice, but after 3 failures I'm going with the cleaning/repair this time.
Old 10-08-22, 10:44 AM
bobguy
3rd Gear

I have a similar issue on my 2005 RX 330, however, for the faulty lights, I have only TPMS light on SOLID after driving for about 20 minutes every time. Be sure I have aired up all five tires and every thing is normal, but the tire pressure or TPMS light will show up solid after you drive it for a while. I checked the forums and it seems there is NO TPMS sensors installed for this year model of Lexus, and someone mentioned that this year model has TPMS light, because it is using ABS sensor to report TPMS issues. I wonder, if any one had experience in this problem? How in the world to get rid of the warning light?

Thanks for your help in advance...!
Old 10-08-22, 11:50 AM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mic575
I had those lights on my 07' and it indeed was the Brake Light Switch. I had to go to the parts store to get them to pull the code, my scangauge could not detect that fault. I replaced the switch with help from info here and the lights went out. That said, my TMPS light was unrelated. I had to replace a TPMS sensor to get it to go out, yours could be as simple as a low spare tire.
I would start by getting that code read and go from there.
I know the 2004 has no individual tpms sensors in the rims. I think it’s the same for the ‘05 the tpms system is part of the abs sensor system. So it could be a malfunction in one of the abs units. This would definitely cause the vsc to illuminate
Old 10-08-22, 02:55 PM
bobguy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Rx330fnboi
I know the 2004 has no individual tpms sensors in the rims. I think it’s the same for the ‘05 the tpms system is part of the abs sensor system. So it could be a malfunction in one of the abs units. This would definitely cause the vsc to illuminate
Thanks Rx330fnboi for your answer!

My issue has only the TPMS/pressure tire light turned on, it seems to be different? I don't have VSC and all other lights on. So not sure if I need to replace that brake switch.

I scanned it with my OBDII tool, no ABS faulty code.
Old 10-08-22, 03:10 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bobguy
Thanks Rx330fnboi for your answer!

My issue has only the TPMS/pressure tire light turned on, it seems to be different? I don't have VSC and all other lights on. So not sure if I need to replace that brake switch.

I scanned it with my OBDII tool, no ABS faulty code.
oh you’re not the original poster, see OP had the VSC going if the ABS was putting a fault signal out would be normal to also have stability control malfunction light as brakes are considered part of stability. Vsc comes on if any critical system is impaired.
my rx330 has intermittent tpms light when it’s up and running(pulling and swapping the engine right now, good times)
do you have a pressure gauge and way to fill the tires at home to see if correct pressure will make it go away?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP 2005 RX330 ABS+Break+VSC+TPMS flashing