RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Ignition Key wont turn, 2008 RX350 with 55K miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 08:27 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Key wont turn, 2008 RX350 with 55K miles

I realize there have been a few topics on this, but I thought I should ask to see if I missed anything.

My wife's 2008 RX350 with 55K miles key will not turn. Its raining and about 45 degrees out. Here is what I tried, but no luck so far
  1. Tried 2nd key
  2. Tried turning the wheel hard left and right, while turning the key
  3. Jiggle key violently
  4. Hammer and screwdriver around the keyhole(Weakish taps)
  5. 3-1 lock dry lube
  6. Key de-icer
  7. Jiggle key violently
  8. Hammer and screwdriver around the keyhole(Weakish taps)
  9. Lift front of car, shake steering wheel, while turning key
  10. Use hair dryer to heat ignition.
Its just not budging. This is the first time we have had this problem, so I am surprised its so bad. I have never had this problem in any of my cars, and they are much older.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 11-30-16 at 08:38 AM. Reason: add different attempts
Old 11-30-16, 09:18 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so I gave up and decided to go to the locksmith to see if they had any suggestions or how much it would cost to look at the car.

Went into the RX350 for one last try... and it turned like nothing was wrong. Sigh, unrepeatable solutions are solutions I hate the most. I did notice that the key sometimes seemed to catch while turning on. If I tilt/push the upper left of the key while its in the ignition it would release.

I put more of the 3-1 lube in the cylinder and worked the key in and out of the hole until I was satisfied with the motion. It doesn't seem to catch now, hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Old 11-30-16, 02:25 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate those kind of fixes!! Do nothing and all of a sudden works....
Old 11-30-16, 06:36 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I have had an 05 rx330 for almost a year now. it's my daily driver. One day, I'm hopping in to commute home, key won't turn. original key I got with the car, flawless up until this moment. I tried 5 more times, it wouldn't turn. each time I took the key out, waited 10 sec,might have flipped the key (shouldn't matter) inserted it again, no turn.

As I started to cuss, I did it one more time, and the key turned. WTF. hasn't happened since. I personally think it wasn't playing nice with the ecu. I personally didn't lube the lock cylinder, turned just fine when it worked.

If it happend to us, it happened to others. I just haven't had time to peruse the TSBs or do a google search about it.
Old 11-30-16, 09:29 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Been there done that. Very frustrating. Even had the Lexus Roadside Assistance tow truck on the way one of the times, but the key turned before they arrived.

The stars aligned and it finally happened in the hands of the dealer service department while they were fixing something unrelated. It was still under warranty so they installed a new ignition lock cylinder, all was well after that.
Old 12-01-16, 05:31 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I definitely suggest using that 3-1 lock lube or graphite... and working the key till its easyish to turn. It seems easyish to turn now. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 12-01-16, 08:14 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I definitely suggest using that 3-1 lock lube or graphite... and working the key till its easyish to turn. It seems easyish to turn now. Hopefully it stays that way.

It's not a mechanical issue of the tumblers falling correctly. it's an issue of the key being recognized. It turns just fine when it decides to work again.
Old 12-01-16, 08:18 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by numbafree
It's not a mechanical issue of the tumblers falling correctly. it's an issue of the key being recognized. It turns just fine when it decides to work again.
That's interesting. Do you have any links to back that up? What would be causing it to not recognize?
Old 12-01-16, 08:42 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

When I got the RX330 it only had 1 key, OEM. I got a fleabay key, had it cut, programmed the lock and unlock. the key would turn fine, but since the immobilizer wasn't programmed for the car, it would not start. You could turn the key to the 'start' position, but you got nada, nothing. no sound no nothing.

With the original key, which was the one I usually use, and the key that would not turn at all, and then turned just fine on the 6th try, and started the car... plus the another poster said the dealership replaced the ignition lock under warranty, which means a new paring of ignition lock with a new key, tells me it's not mechanical (the key having a rough cut or something), but electronic or not being read correctly. If your key is slightly off by the cut, it would be whack every time you tried to turn it, until you 'lubed' it or whatever. it would stick a little, or you have to jiggle it to turn. This is not the case of you or me, or the poster that had it replaced under warranty the key wouldn't turn at all, and then randomly after multiple tries it works just fine again.

Anyway, that's my evidenced based theory of using keys all my life. I work for public schools, and have many keys, and trust me, I am very familiar with keys that are old, or worn or slightly not cut right and you hafta jiggle the key a little to get the tumblers to fall correctly. I have a buddy that's a locksmith I can ask him.
Old 12-01-16, 09:35 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Several years ago we had purchased a used 2004 RX330 with 70K, parked in the garage (parked on flat surface, steering wheel was not bound by uneven surface) a week after we bought it same issue. Key(s) would not turn the ignition switch, tried all of the tricks... Tumblers got screwed up in the switch, had to replace switch. I had the shop send the new switch out to the lock smith to key the new switch to the old key. Don't let them tell you that you have to re-key the vehicle. If your keys are feeling rough going in, just a though that you may be headed this direction....
Old 12-01-16, 09:57 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Definetly would not use 3 in 1 lube. Graphite powder only.....The oil sticks everything up....
Old 12-01-16, 09:58 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6
Several years ago we had purchased a used 2004 RX330 with 70K, parked in the garage (parked on flat surface, steering wheel was not bound by uneven surface) a week after we bought it same issue. Key(s) would not turn the ignition switch, tried all of the tricks... Tumblers got screwed up in the switch, had to replace switch. I had the shop send the new switch out to the lock smith to key the new switch to the old key. Don't let them tell you that you have to re-key the vehicle. If your keys are feeling rough going in, just a though that you may be headed this direction....
Excellent advice...Any good locksmith can do this.
Old 12-01-16, 06:22 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zapola6
very interesting. So it stopping turning entirely. all of a sudden. It wasn't like the OP or myself, where after multiple tries it randomly starts working just fine, again.

thx for posting, very helpful info.
Old 12-02-16, 05:49 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

When I got the RX330 it only had 1 key, OEM. I got a fleabay key, had it cut, programmed the lock and unlock. the key would turn fine, but since the immobilizer wasn't programmed for the car, it would not start. You could turn the key to the 'start' position, but you got nada, nothing. no sound no nothing.

With the original key, which was the one I usually use, and the key that would not turn at all, and then turned just fine on the 6th try, and started the car... plus the another poster said the dealership replaced the ignition lock under warranty, which means a new paring of ignition lock with a new key, tells me it's not mechanical (the key having a rough cut or something), but electronic or not being read correctly. If your key is slightly off by the cut, it would be whack every time you tried to turn it, until you 'lubed' it or whatever. it would stick a little, or you have to jiggle it to turn. This is not the case of you or me, or the poster that had it replaced under warranty the key wouldn't turn at all, and then randomly after multiple tries it works just fine again.

Anyway, that's my evidenced based theory of using keys all my life. I work for public schools, and have many keys, and trust me, I am very familiar with keys that are old, or worn or slightly not cut right and you hafta jiggle the key a little to get the tumblers to fall correctly. I have a buddy that's a locksmith I can ask him.
So you think electronics sensing/not sensing the key, has some form of physical lock on the ignition preventing us from turning the key? It seems pretty unlikely... but the easiest way to test that theory would be to unplug your car battery and see if you can turn your key. (Since its my wife's car, I am not going to do it)
Old 12-02-16, 07:31 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

very interesting. So it stopping turning entirely. all of a sudden. It wasn't like the OP or myself, where after multiple tries it randomly starts working just fine, again.

thx for posting, very helpful info.
Yes the switch did fail. Tow truck driver nor the shop could get the switch to turn, made me feel better that it wasn't just me. The shop had to dis-assemble the switch in the parking lot to get the wheels to turn to get the car inside. The switch did feel a little rough when we bought the car, I just never thought anything of it. Silly Me.....

Quick Reply: Ignition Key wont turn, 2008 RX350 with 55K miles