RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Blistering behind outside mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 09:45 AM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Blistering behind outside mirrors

Has anyone here dealt with blistering behind outside rear view mirrors? There's a shiny bit of black plastic right behind the mirrors that is blistering up in bubbles. I haven't seen this kind of thing before, but I thought I could use a syringe and some glue to squash it back down. Haven't tried it yet though before hearing if someone has a better fix.
Old 10-30-17, 11:31 AM
RX711
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGoodGuy
Has anyone here dealt with blistering behind outside rear view mirrors? There's a shiny bit of black plastic right behind the mirrors that is blistering up in bubbles. I haven't seen this kind of thing before, but I thought I could use a syringe and some glue to squash it back down. Haven't tried it yet though before hearing if someone has a better fix.
Just noticed it. What did you do to fix this? It's very noticeable from certain angles and in bright light. I first noticed this a few weeks ago while getting my car washed. I have it on both my mirrors so its definitely something going on with the plastic.

Anyone else get this?

Last edited by RX711; 10-30-17 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-30-17, 11:53 AM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Originally Posted by RX711
Just noticed it. What did you do to fix this? It's very noticeable from certain angles and in bright light. I first noticed this a few weeks ago while getting my car washed. I have it on both my mirrors so its definitely something going on with the plastic.

Anyone else get this?
I haven't done anything with it yet other than color it with a magic marker to cover it up for the time being. In a month or so I'll be opening a can of POR-15 for my project truck and I planned to hit it with that. It dries shiny and black so it may turn out looking right.
Old 10-30-17, 04:37 PM
rich001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen on my 05 RX330, mostly the driver's side mirror. I took both mirrors of and took it to a body shop to have them paint it gloss black, also took off the rear spoiler at the same time (faded) to have it painted also.
Old 10-31-17, 07:32 AM
RX711
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rich001
I had the same thing happen on my 05 RX330, mostly the driver's side mirror. I took both mirrors of and took it to a body shop to have them paint it gloss black, also took off the rear spoiler at the same time (faded) to have it painted also.
Rich but the mirrors are already gloss black. What did they do, sand the bubbles/blisters down before repainting?

I'm also wondering if this was covered under the dash recall. I saw on guy on that thread who said he got Lexus to replace them while getting the dash replaced under recall.
Old 10-31-17, 11:08 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Bit confused, are you guys referring to the side mirrors?
Old 10-31-17, 11:12 AM
RX711
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Bit confused, are you guys referring to the side mirrors?
Yes, the black plastic area of the mirror.
Old 11-01-17, 01:19 PM
rich001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They must have sanded down the gloss black area of the mirror holders, but not the side mirror bezel itself (those are color matched to your car). A certain area of the gloss black painted area would bubble and look wrinkled, finally it peeled and had a white background. I tried a black (Sharpie) pen but that didn't work. So I got it refinished at a body shop.
Old 07-10-18, 07:34 PM
RX711
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-mirrors.html

Mine delaminated! I am debating getting it painted or maybe skinned. Can you show us a pic of how yours turned out? Want to do something soon and can't decide. I was set on painting until visiting the Toyota body shop but they are so set in thier ways rather than practical. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-18, 07:24 AM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-mirrors.html

Mine delaminated! I am debating getting it painted or maybe skinned. Can you show us a pic of how yours turned out? Want to do something soon and can't decide. I was set on painting until visiting the Toyota body shop but they are so set in thier ways rather than practical. Thanks in advance.
I don't have any pics, (it's with the wife at work) but it looks great. Just make sure to hit it with a clear coat afterward because Por 15 doesn't like more than 6 months in the sun. I let mine cure for a month then lightly clearcoated it with a simple spray can. Looks great and seems to be holding just fine. It's an epoxy resin so I don't figure to have to do it again anytime soon.

When you go to take the mirror off, you only have to take off the inside bolts to drop it and let it hang to get it out of the way. The plug is in the door somewhere so you'll have to dig around in there to get it unplugged if you want it all the way off. I just let it hang and worked around it with tape.
I used a wire wheel to scuff up the beige/white background stuff that was showing through and a screwdriver and booger picker tool to scratch off all the flaking paint.
Be careful with the wire wheel not to let your drill chuck hit the bottom of the mirror while getting in the cracks. Long shank attachment would have been nice there. I used a ton of plastic packing tape around it to make sure I didn't hit anything I didn't want to.

Then just paint it on with a brush. I used a junky brush and had to pick out a few hairs, but it self-levels so all the brush marks disappear in about 10 minutes. And that was it. Let it sit a month to cure and then clearcoat.

Last edited by TheGoodGuy; 07-11-18 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-11-18, 11:54 AM
RX711
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheGoodGuy
I don't have any pics, (it's with the wife at work) but it looks great. Just make sure to hit it with a clear coat afterward because Por 15 doesn't like more than 6 months in the sun. I let mine cure for a month then lightly clearcoated it with a simple spray can. Looks great and seems to be holding just fine. It's an epoxy resin so I don't figure to have to do it again anytime soon.

When you go to take the mirror off, you only have to take off the inside bolts to drop it and let it hang to get it out of the way. The plug is in the door somewhere so you'll have to dig around in there to get it unplugged if you want it all the way off. I just let it hang and worked around it with tape.
I used a wire wheel to scuff up the beige/white background stuff that was showing through and a screwdriver and booger picker tool to scratch off all the flaking paint.
Be careful with the wire wheel not to let your drill chuck hit the bottom of the mirror while getting in the cracks. Long shank attachment would have been nice there. I used a ton of plastic packing tape around it to make sure I didn't hit anything I didn't want to.

Then just paint it on with a brush. I used a junky brush and had to pick out a few hairs, but it self-levels so all the brush marks disappear in about 10 minutes. And that was it. Let it sit a month to cure and then clearcoat.
Thanks much. Just to make sure I understand, you scraped off only the flaking paint but not all ot it? Or you removed all of it? What is the casing actually made of? It kooks like white fiberglass?
Old 07-11-18, 09:47 PM
RX711
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rich001
They must have sanded down the gloss black area of the mirror holders, but not the side mirror bezel itself (those are color matched to your car). A certain area of the gloss black painted area would bubble and look wrinkled, finally it peeled and had a white background. I tried a black (Sharpie) pen but that didn't work. So I got it refinished at a body shop.
Rich. got any pics you are willing to share? I am eager to get this fixed soon.
Old 07-12-18, 10:50 AM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Thanks much. Just to make sure I understand, you scraped off only the flaking paint but not all ot it? Or you removed all of it? What is the casing actually made of? It kooks like white fiberglass?
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. If you don't scrape all of it off you'll get more flaking eventually. I took all of mine off, but found it was easiest with a booger picker. They're cheap at Lowes
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-4-Pi...l-Set/50158911

I liked that hooked one, but don't dig in with the tip. They'll bend on ya! Just hook it off like a dentist.