RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 DIY needed for Top motor mount and CV boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 01:10 PM
rwestern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX350 DIY needed for Top motor mount and CV boot replacement

Hi All:

New here. Wife's 2007 RX350 just had first major look see from dealer after 10 years. Took in for service for coolant and transmission fluid/filter changed at 102K. Dealer calls me up 3 hours after I drop off to give me news that he needed to change one of the seals on steering rack...1K...Authorized. Said I needed 3 mounts changed but specifically mentioned Top mount (I think the one on passenger side) and CV boot for one of the axles to be changed. Did not authorize....dealer wanted 1K+. Got back car yesterday...had wife gun engine to see how bad wiggle was in engine...it did not move much...looking mount it seemed intact. The CV boot I have not checked. I'm not happy I dropped 1.5K at dealer but after 10 years, I was fine...but I'm not fine with another 1K for engine mounts and cv boot.

Anyone here have a DIY link to swap out top motor mount (aka torque rod Part Number: 1236331020) and/or swapping out a new boot for cv drive axle?

Seems top motor mount is a straight forward looking job...not sure if I shore up engine/trans and remove bolts holding mount in place. It does not look like mount is pressed on.

I think cv boot replacement more involved.

Thanx in advance for any information.
Old 10-10-16, 08:42 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

That top motor mount should be pretty easy. I just did some lower control arms and that dog bone needed to be removed to do the job. I only took the long bolt out but the backside one didn't look too difficult to do.
Go to this thread and download the pdf write up. Great descriptions and step by step. The motor mount you are talking about was done in the very beginning. You don't need to support the bottom of the engine as there are 3 other mounts supporting the engine plus one more in the back.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ts-w-pics.html

There is a boot replacement kit but I have no experience with it. It's split down the center. You clam shell it to your shaft, glue it, and clamp to onto axle shaft. Google it and find the youtube video.
Old 10-11-16, 10:21 AM
rwestern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top mount finished

Thanks for reply.

I looked at the pictures on the link...very helpful.

Completed job in 45 Minutes. OEM Part price $80.00.

I did not jack or shore up engine/trans from bottom.

5 bolts using 14 mm socket. Removed backside bolt first, then 3 bolts mounted on block. Pulled out torque rod and mount, separated torque rod from mount using a vise to hold down. Attached new torque rod to mount. Did not torque down but left loose for bolt alignment.

Had an issue placing rod and mount, I could not just slide in...could not align backside bolt easily. I tapped with mallet to get in then tapped piece in place...had to pull out piece a couple times because I tapped too much and bolt would not align.

Torqued all bolts to 47 lbs. (found online specs not sure if correct but felt plenty tight). Anti-seize on bolts.

Looking at old torque rod mount there was definite cracks in the rubber and had play when twisted. Seems as though movement of engine is less.

I'd like to change all other mounts, I think the front and rear mounts seems more involved.

I've read to change those you have to prop engine/trans using a jack with a wood on pan. Is this safe? Any other way to lift engine/trans. If anyone has any info on replacing front and rear RX350 engine mounts (I'm not sure how different is RX330 mounts), I'd make that my next project.

Mahalo

Last edited by rwestern; 10-11-16 at 10:24 AM.