RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rattling noise underneath

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 11:55 AM
Isentropic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise underneath

Hello All,
For couple months, I've been having a rattling noise under the car at low acceleration (esp. w/ cold starts).
Local indy said it could be the catalytic converter (pretty expensive to replace). It sounds like something's loose.

Has anyone else had this? Any suggestions?

Around 133k mi

Thanks much!
Old 10-05-16, 07:37 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Could be cover plate over fuel tank, it rattles against the frame of car....many have put foam pieces between the cover and underbody....However maybe their is a broken exhaust hanger O ring.
Old 10-13-16, 10:05 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

When my RX rattled underneath it was due to 2 things. The rod that held the exhaust broke off with age and rust. The driver side suspension L link needed to be replaced. After fixing them, the rattle went away.

This piece broke off and would rattle against the pipe when accelerating from stop.

Forgot the mechanical term for this part, its the one in the middle that resembles an L. This was wobbily compared to the other wheels.
Old 10-13-16, 02:23 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's probably the shield over the fuel tank, which is in front of the driver's side wheel. put some foam or dynamat, and you are good to go.
Old 10-30-16, 11:38 AM
Isentropic
Driver School Candidate

Thanks much for the feedback and suggestions. I will try to put it on jack stands soon, and see if there is a loose item over the exhaust.

Was the rod just dangling? Thanks much again.
Old 08-09-18, 05:18 PM
04RX330AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aztr0
When my RX rattled underneath it was due to 2 things. The rod that held the exhaust broke off with age and rust. The driver side suspension L link needed to be replaced. After fixing them, the rattle went away.

This piece broke off and would rattle against the pipe when accelerating from stop.

Forgot the mechanical term for this part, its the one in the middle that resembles an L. This was wobbily compared to the other wheels.

I know I am pretty late to the party, but I am doing maintenance, and clublexus has been so helpful. I haven't had to make an account because I was able to search and find all my solutions. In this case, the OP described the problem on my car perfectly, as did you - only on accelerations from a stand still or low speeds, you hear a rattle when putting your foot on the gas, take it off, put foot on gas (from a rolling low speed) rattle again, and I am hoping and thinking it is an easy fix as you described above. I'm at 150K miles, just did the rear driveshaft, and my mechanic said that the front link/piece was okay, so it could be that, but I doubt it because the rattle was there before changing and after changing, and I think it is something else.

I think you may be right, and I was wondering if you or someone could possibly circle the parts you're talking about on the pictures you mentioned. I know it's silly, but I am having a hard time seeing the part you describe " This piece broke off and would rattle against the pipe when accelerating from stop." I know it's silly but could someone possibly circle it for me and upload it again so I know what I am looking at haha. Thanks!
Old 09-13-19, 10:40 AM
ps930
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 04RX330AWD
I know I am pretty late to the party, but I am doing maintenance, and clublexus has been so helpful. I haven't had to make an account because I was able to search and find all my solutions. In this case, the OP described the problem on my car perfectly, as did you - only on accelerations from a stand still or low speeds, you hear a rattle when putting your foot on the gas, take it off, put foot on gas (from a rolling low speed) rattle again, and I am hoping and thinking it is an easy fix as you described above. I'm at 150K miles, just did the rear driveshaft, and my mechanic said that the front link/piece was okay, so it could be that, but I doubt it because the rattle was there before changing and after changing, and I think it is something else.

I think you may be right, and I was wondering if you or someone could possibly circle the parts you're talking about on the pictures you mentioned. I know it's silly, but I am having a hard time seeing the part you describe " This piece broke off and would rattle against the pipe when accelerating from stop." I know it's silly but could someone possibly circle it for me and upload it again so I know what I am looking at haha. Thanks!

04RX330AWD Did you ever solve your rattle issue?
Old 09-13-19, 11:37 AM
04RX330AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ps930
04RX330AWD Did you ever solve your rattle issue?
Yes and no, most of it was gone when I had an exhaust manifold changed, but there is still some at low speeds usually when I get in the car and put it in drive, from park, and when I reverse at low speeds.. it sounds like it's under the car and it does sound like a heat shield rattle kind of noise, that's why I wanted him to circle his picture so I could find the culprit and straighten it out (if it's metal usually u can use your hands to fix it etc)
Old 09-13-19, 12:04 PM
ps930
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply

I believe he was referring to this piece becoming detached at the weld
Old 09-13-19, 12:08 PM
04RX330AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ps930

Thanks for the reply

I believe he was referring to this piece becoming detached at the weld
Thank you so much for the replies... Weeks/months later it seems much more obvious to me, thank you so much! Going to try and fix it for good this weekend and will report back, thank you!

Bigger problem I have right now is the damn driveshaft! I replaced mine with one from a junkyard but mine was def better. It used to jerk on shifts (did tranny flush with right Toyota fluid already) but with the junkyard driveshaft installed months ago the jerk is still there/slightly worse(could be placebo)... so I could have just kept my drive shaft, buying a new drive shaft from Lexus is ridiculously expensive I was thinking about buying one online from dorman bc that's where I got my exhaust manifold w/ cat replacement for the car and it's perfect. I haven't checked online in a few months but every now and then I find out the prices switch around so maybe I can find a driveshaft online that is cheaper and works better, do you know what I'm talking about when it jerks in between shifts? that's the real problem that needs to be resolved and I'm positive it is the drive shaft, and I would have never changed the driveshaft to begin with, but I did because of the noise that was coming from my car, but it turns out that noise was the bearing from the rear right tire
Old 09-14-19, 05:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

For me, it was this exhaust shield. The bolts on the clamps had rusted off. Just replaced the clamps, and good as new.
Old 06-03-23, 04:43 PM
Sazel
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Exhaust Noice

Hi Guys, New here, bought a 2009 FWD 2 months ago, now I'm hearing this horrible grind like noise when 0 to uphill.

Took it to a shop today and they told me it was the engine mounts and this caused my exhaust to basically screw itself up.

I'm curious about trying this:
The guys at the shop told me there's some pieces inside the exhaust that has just broken itself.

I'm waiting for a Quote so depending on how much it is,(Honestly I'm not dumping more than 1k on a ****in exhaust for an SUV) I might try the above.

For future reference I'm uploading the clips I got to my YT to help someone else.

PS:Honestly I wasn't comfortable driving a lil city car and got this out of an impulse, if you have any kind of suggestions it would be appreciated.(I'm aware of the oil cooler line, changing that later after taking the exhaust hit)
The following 2 users liked this post by Sazel:
joedaddy1 (06-09-23), ps930 (08-30-23)