RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Interesting Brake info on a 05 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 06:19 AM
diopena1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Brake info on a 05 RX330

I previously owned a toyota Solara SLE, as you all know, the RX is a crossover from the Camry platform.... So, i know that brake parts are "interchangeable"..... I have a big brake kit for the Camry/Solara/Avalon/ES300 (relocation brackets, and ES300 dual piston calipers) that I intended on using on my RX330.... this kit needs the 93-98 Supra TT 13.5" rotors to work.

Well, yesterday we pulled the brakes apart to replace the stock system with the kit.... and bumped into an interesting find... I didn't need the bracket/calipers...

Come to find out the stock RX rotor is 319mm in diameter, the Supra's rotor is 323mm in diameter, the main difference is that the Supra rotors are 30mm wide vs. the stock RX330 rotor which is 28mm wide. Meaning that the Supra rotors are a "direct fit".... Add to the fact that I now have Dot4 brake fluid, and stainless brake lines.... the brakes are MUCH better compared to stock, pedal feel is effortlessly progressive, and smooth, yet braking is a bit more aggressive.

The only con is that you will hear some slight grinding (I was expecting this with the kit anyway, and I know it will dissipate on its own)....
Old 09-20-16, 09:19 PM
jdmRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

diopena1,

What BBK are you using? I'd like to upgrade my brakes as well. Do you know if the Supra TT calipers are direct bolt on ? Ideally I'd like to avoid having to get brackets fabricated.

Originally Posted by diopena1
I previously owned a toyota Solara SLE, as you all know, the RX is a crossover from the Camry platform.... So, i know that brake parts are "interchangeable"..... I have a big brake kit for the Camry/Solara/Avalon/ES300 (relocation brackets, and ES300 dual piston calipers) that I intended on using on my RX330.... this kit needs the 93-98 Supra TT 13.5" rotors to work.

Well, yesterday we pulled the brakes apart to replace the stock system with the kit.... and bumped into an interesting find... I didn't need the bracket/calipers...

Come to find out the stock RX rotor is 319mm in diameter, the Supra's rotor is 323mm in diameter, the main difference is that the Supra rotors are 30mm wide vs. the stock RX330 rotor which is 28mm wide. Meaning that the Supra rotors are a "direct fit".... Add to the fact that I now have Dot4 brake fluid, and stainless brake lines.... the brakes are MUCH better compared to stock, pedal feel is effortlessly progressive, and smooth, yet braking is a bit more aggressive.

The only con is that you will hear some slight grinding (I was expecting this with the kit anyway, and I know it will dissipate on its own)....
Old 09-20-16, 10:26 PM
diopena1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdmRX
diopena1,

What BBK are you using? I'd like to upgrade my brakes as well. Do you know if the Supra TT calipers are direct bolt on ? Ideally I'd like to avoid having to get brackets fabricated.

No brackets, or calipers needed.... RX330 rotors are 319mm in diameter, and 28mm thick.... 98 Supra TT rotors are 323mm in diameter, and 30mm thick (pix provided)
- hence why I mentioned that there would be some grinding noise until the brake pad hardware wears down. I did stock rx330 calipers, Supra TT front rotors, and ceramic pads, steel braided lines, and changed the brake fluid to DOT4.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Brake info on a 05 RX330-rx330rotor.jpeg   Interesting Brake info on a 05 RX330-supraturborotor.jpeg  
Old 09-23-16, 12:39 PM
Caprica
Driver School Candidate

There must end up being a marked difference using the 4-piston fixed Supra Calipers over the single-piston sliding calipers that are stock. Even the dual-piston sliding calipers would be an upgrade. My mother's RX330 has been plagued forever by brakes that end up pulsing after a few thousand miles of using them. Even on our 400h, when the brakes are done, I will be looking at doing something different although I have less issue because in most of our braking, the regen does a marvelous job of dragging the heavy SUV down without using the hydraulics very much, if at all.
Old 09-23-16, 02:43 PM
jdmRX
Driver School Candidate

The increased diameter of the rotor provides slightly more braking surface but the unsprung weight is upped significantly from your figures. I've been looking for information on whether those LS400 or Supra TT caliper conversions the SC guys do would work for the RX. But it seems that most would need some sort of bracket or some grinding of the brake shield or some other type of MOD.

Brakes are one of those things I don't want to "custom" piece together myself...
Old 09-23-16, 03:25 PM
Caprica
Driver School Candidate

I believe something like this will be good on the stock sliding calipers to aid in reducing pulsing problems.

http://www.cquence.net/lexus-rx400h-...ke-rotors.html
Old 10-24-16, 07:48 AM
blautens
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Caprica
I believe something like this will be good on the stock sliding calipers to aid in reducing pulsing problems.

http://www.cquence.net/lexus-rx400h-...ke-rotors.html
I don't know about that - I tried with R1 Concepts slotted/drilled rotors (their best line, not the bargain one) and I'm a little disappointed with how long those went without pulsing, too. And R1 has some good rotors - I use them on a number of vehicles, including on my 2006 TBSS, which is far heavier and faster, and stops much more confidently (even without the factory Z51 Corvette compound pads).

The RX is underbraked for such a chunky SUV, and it's a trend I see continuing today in many brands - I get depressed when I see new Hondas getting front rotor replacements frequently in the first year or two.

Brakes aren't sexy to the Lexus SUV buyer (actually, to most buyers), but to anyone who has "run out of brake" either on the track or (god forbid) the road, they know that weight savings, cost savings, and low market impact means brakes are one of the first areas to be under-engineered.
The following users liked this post:
Felix (01-10-20)
Old 10-24-16, 08:48 AM
Caprica
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blautens
I don't know about that - I tried with R1 Concepts slotted/drilled rotors (their best line, not the bargain one) and I'm a little disappointed with how long those went without pulsing, too. And R1 has some good rotors - I use them on a number of vehicles, including on my 2006 TBSS, which is far heavier and faster, and stops much more confidently (even without the factory Z51 Corvette compound pads).

The RX is underbraked for such a chunky SUV, and it's a trend I see continuing today in many brands - I get depressed when I see new Hondas getting front rotor replacements frequently in the first year or two.

Brakes aren't sexy to the Lexus SUV buyer (actually, to most buyers), but to anyone who has "run out of brake" either on the track or (god forbid) the road, they know that weight savings, cost savings, and low market impact means brakes are one of the first areas to be under-engineered.
They are definitely too small for the size of the SUV. At least with the newer models they have gone to a 2-piston sliding caliper and it appears to be a slightly larger rotor and hopefully thicker as well. My Hybrid has no pulsing issues because the Regen does so much of the braking work. When my mom bought her 330, one of my first comments was that it looks like they slapped Camry brakes on the front of that Lexus, which are woefully small for such a heavy rig. It weighs as much as my Magnum SRT and the Maggie has 14.2 inch vented and slotted rotors all around with 4-piston fixed Brembos on all 4 corners. Needless to say, the Magnum has ZERO braking issues other than the typical Brembo squeak. Even the lower RT model comes with factory 13.5" front rotors with 2-piston sliding calipers. Toyota would have been wise methinks to install the 4-piston calipers and appropriate rotors from a Tacoma on the front. This probably would have saved any issues in braking.
Old 05-10-17, 04:28 PM
CitySlaka
Rookie

Please confirm that the 95 to 2000 ls400 calipers fit the rx330, I've been looking and I know 2010 to 2013 rx350 dual piston calipers fit, but I'd like a 4 piston setup. Also the 4 runners,tacoma have similar looking bracket bolt patterns if anyone has looked into this also. I know also that the highlander has interchangeable parts too but they have single pistons as well. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-12-17, 09:29 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CitySlaka
Please confirm that the 95 to 2000 ls400 calipers fit the rx330, I've been looking and I know 2010 to 2013 rx350 dual piston calipers fit, but I'd like a 4 piston setup. Also the 4 runners,tacoma have similar looking bracket bolt patterns if anyone has looked into this also. I know also that the highlander has interchangeable parts too but they have single pistons as well. Thanks for any info.
I can not answer all the questions but I replased brakes on 12 highlander the front caliper has two pistons
Old 06-05-17, 02:36 PM
CitySlaka
Rookie

bought 08 highlander front calipers today from auto zone, installed and the bracket bolt is the same size however the bracket scrubs against the rotor at the hub. i was bummed out to discover this as i was supper excited, these new calipers are twice as big as stock. i didnt feel like grinding and them still rubbing while driving.
Old 01-10-20, 07:43 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

No brackets, or calipers needed.... RX330 rotors are 319mm in diameter, and 28mm thick.... 98 Supra TT rotors are 323mm in diameter, and 30mm thick (pix provided)
- hence why I mentioned that there would be some grinding noise until the brake pad hardware wears down. I did stock rx330 calipers, Supra TT front rotors, and ceramic pads, steel braided lines, and changed the brake fluid to DOT4.
IK its a old thread, But anyone have a idea what he means " Grinding noise until the brake pad hardware wears down''? If its the pad clips he's talking about, should be easy enough to modify the clips.
Old 03-14-20, 08:38 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Felix
IK its a old thread, But anyone have a idea what he means " Grinding noise until the brake pad hardware wears down''? If its the pad clips he's talking about, should be easy enough to modify the clips.
Bump.....Anyone have a idea? Pad clips perhaps?
Old 03-14-20, 09:05 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Bump.....Anyone have a idea? Pad clips perhaps?
im guessing he’s talking about rotor to pad contact since the Supra rotors are 2mm thicker.

don’t think it’ll rub full time.
Old 03-14-20, 10:06 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
im guessing he’s talking about rotor to pad contact since the Supra rotors are 2mm thicker.

don’t think it’ll rub full time.
The caliper piston would make up for that, as if you push the piston all the way down, yeah it wouldn't come out 2mm further as using the oem rx rotor........

Quick Reply: Interesting Brake info on a 05 RX330