RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlight Levelers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 01:24 PM
pvvdds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Levelers

My headlights on my '04 RX330 are "dipped" and won't come up. I'm assuming it's a sensor problem and my mechanic would like to know where the module for that is located. The engine light is on most of the time. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-11-16, 11:44 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Check this linkage on the rear suspension.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9451345
Old 09-13-16, 08:28 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
Check this linkage on the rear suspension.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9451345
Just curious how does a suspension part control the headlight?
Old 09-13-16, 09:16 AM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is my layman understanding of the system:

For vehicles with HID headlights, there is a sensor on the rear suspension to determine how much the rear suspension of the RX is squatting from heavy cargo. Without the sensor, rear suspension squat would cause the headlights to shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers. The suspension sensor tells the headlights to angle downwards to compensate for the squat. When the suspension linkage to the sensor rusts and breaks the headlights default to a full downward angle.
Old 09-13-16, 04:49 PM
pvvdds
Driver School Candidate

Nva kieth
i think your explanation is as accurate as i've heard. Thanks
Old 09-13-16, 10:00 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the exact same problem on my drivers side. Except mine is aimed up rather than dipped. I have to disconnect the AFS terminals and manually level the lights.
Old 09-19-16, 05:01 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Also you can take apart the little box that the arm is connected to. Water gets in and rust starts screwing up the sole purpose of the expensive part. See above NVAKeith has nailed the arm down quite well. Clean up any rust found and it should work as new. If not let me know and I can supply you with information about ordering you the LEXUS part for around 2 hundred free shipping from some place in Dubi. That's what I did.Jamie
Old 03-08-17, 04:04 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have an odd issue with my AFS system.

When AFS is working, which doesn't seem to be too often these days, the aim is very low, like the cutoff is literally about 15' in front of it on the road. When the AFS light is flashing (malfunctioning), it seems the aim is at a normal position, and I'm actually able to see road signs and the road ahead, like normal headlights.

I'd check the connecting bar again, but the system does occasionally work, which is leading me to believe it's strictly the sensor (which I plan to R&R soon).

I've tried turning AFS off, and it does not bring the headlights back up to the same level as they are when it's malfunctioning.
Any idea if performing an R&R on the sensor will fix the aiming issue, or should I just get a new one?
Old 03-08-17, 06:09 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGemini

When AFS is working, which doesn't seem to be too often these days, the aim is very low, like the cutoff is literally about 15' in front of it on the road. When the AFS light is flashing (malfunctioning), it seems the aim is at a normal position, and I'm actually able to see road signs and the road ahead, like normal headlights.

I'd check the connecting bar again, but the system does occasionally work, which is leading me to believe it's strictly the sensor (which I plan to R&R soon).

I've tried turning AFS off, and it does not bring the headlights back up to the same level as they are when it's malfunctioning.
Any idea if performing an R&R on the sensor will fix the aiming issue, or should I just get a new one?
It's worth a shot to try to fix it since it won't cost you anything but the time it takes to remove it. But replace if you want it one and done. Do you have access to Techstream? Curious if it's showing any warnings.
Old 03-08-17, 06:15 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGemini

You recall my post with the AFS Light Flashing post, no sense in repeating all that but just to let you know that when I did have the issue, the lights would move side to side at startup & I didn't have any issues with the aim of the headlights.
Also my mechanic has a Lexus friendly high end scan tool which detected the faulty sensor. (He doesn't charge me for scans)
When the new sensor was finally placed, no adjustments were needed for anything else.
Maybe best to find someone that can at least scan the condition of the sensor or purchase one (as I did for $20.) & install it, if that is a cheaper route than paying for a scan.
Then at least you have that out of the way & focus elsewhere afterwards if needed be. Been there, done that many times for trial & error experiments.
Old 03-08-17, 03:05 PM
jenright
Driver School Candidate

05RX330AWD,

Did you find a sensor for $20?
If so please let us know where if you can.

thanks
Old 03-08-17, 03:23 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by jenright
05RX330AWD,

Did you find a sensor for $20?
If so please let us know where if you can.

thanks
I have had great results with Dorman Sensors, this item is functioning perfectly.
This outfit has sold 108 of them when I purchased mine.
Link here:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Headlight-Level-Sensor-Toyota-Prius-Tacoma-Lexus-Mazda-RX8-89405-48020-924-755-/152455703348?hash=item237f116b34:g:lIMAAOSwal5YFO~~&vxp=mtr
Old 03-09-17, 04:01 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Here's a US link for another one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282219321790...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-09-17, 12:37 PM
b33j703
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys think this could also be a problem with mine since my Auto Headlight Level Warning came on my dash???.. (04 RX330awd).
Old 03-09-17, 03:17 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by b33j703
Do you guys think this could also be a problem with mine since my Auto Headlight Level Warning came on my dash???.. (04 RX330awd).
There is a difference between "On" & "Flashing" if it is just on it translates to: you disactivated the AFS system, if it is flashing: it translates to a defect in the AFS system.
If there is a defect, the only way is to scan the sensor with a high end Lexus friendly scanner or replace the sensor & hope that resolves the issue.
Instructions from the manual...
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Levelers-capture.png  

Quick Reply: Headlight Levelers