RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Full carpet replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 12:27 PM
briggsinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full carpet replacement?

Hi everyone,
The carpet (not floor mats) in my car (RX350) is in bad shape and I want to replace it completely, is this possible? I have read that you can buy preformed carpets but have not found it for the RX350. Also, I do not know how much work it is to do this.

Does anybody know where to buy the carpet?
Has anyone done this and know how hard this job is?

Thanks
Old 09-05-16, 09:05 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

It is a time consuming project. Everything and anything that touches the carpet has to be removed. This means the seats, the console and a lot of the trim. EVERYTHING.

Here is a link from someone who has done it - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...or-carpet.html

Having never replaced the carpet in an RX, I don't know where to get a replacement carpet other than a Lexus dealer. Google is your friend.

But if you get a non-Lexus carpet that is made for the RX, it won't fit perfectly. You will need to know how to cut and fit carpet.
Old 09-06-16, 02:22 AM
briggsinn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It is a time consuming project. Everything and anything that touches the carpet has to be removed. This means the seats, the console and a lot of the trim. EVERYTHING.

Here is a link from someone who has done it - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...or-carpet.html

Having never replaced the carpet in an RX, I don't know where to get a replacement carpet other than a Lexus dealer. Google is your friend.

But if you get a non-Lexus carpet that is made for the RX, it won't fit perfectly. You will need to know how to cut and fit carpet.
Thank's Dennis, for the link, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have contacted the dealer to see if I can buy a new carpet.
Old 07-12-19, 04:51 PM
rlopez1024
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking to replace the front carpet in my 2008 RX 400h with black interior. There are 4 spots where the carpet wore through completely where I can see the metal underneath. The part number for the carpet is 58510-48150-C0. The dealer wants $900 which is way out of my budget. I've seen some people listing used ones on car-parts.com for around $100 but all the ones in black that I called are gone. Any one know were I can get one for much less than dealer prices. Either new or used in good shape?

I was hoping it was the same carpet used in the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Most of the parts for the Highlander Hybrid are interchangeable with the RX 400h. Unfortunately the center console is a different shape so the carpets are different as well. By the way the 2008 Highlander Hybrid carpet is only $600 for something that is 95% the same.

Last edited by rlopez1024; 07-12-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 12:13 AM
hreef
Driver School Candidate

Default Its reasonably doable, but takes time

That carpet is normally more like $1,000 to $1,100. So the quote you got has some discount to it.

I got one done last year at the local dealer and I think I paid $950 for the carpet assembly, plus labor which I don't remember the cost of. I'm happy with a clean carpet with no holes in it.

The mechanical aspects of getting the old one out and the new one in are quite basic (no sewing or gluing required). But, all of the seats and the center console needed to be removed for access; and some plastic trim panels.

The main hiccup was haggling the labor price. They thought the dash had to be removed, but it doesn't. Once we cleared that up, they brought the labor price down significantly.

If you have some basic tools and are handy, especially with clip and screw removal, and have the time, then its not a huge challenge.

I think for your budget, you are correct to keep looking at used carpets on Ebay. If you could find a decent one for ~$200, then it might be worth it. But you will most likely need to invest no small amount of time in finding, shipping, and carefully cleaning and drying a used carpet. So I would say that it mostly depends on your time budget for finding it (a bit of luck), cleaning it, and installing it.

If the used carpet costs $500, I would say it isn't worth the extra trouble. The new one would be a better deal.
Old 07-13-19, 12:46 AM
rlopez1024
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I would definitely do the labor myself. I actually replaced the hybrid battery and had to take out the rear seats and fold the carpet back about half way already so I don't think it would be too bad removing it the rest of the way. Also I have already removed the front seat to fix a motor issue and I removed the center console once to repair the push buttons that open and close the top doors so I think I have already done all the steps needed. My only issue is the cost. My 08 RX 400h has 250,000 miles and I think the KBB value is only about $5000. Spending $1000 for a new carpet would be around 20% of the value of the car. I found a used one that was in great shape at B and R Auto Wrecking but it was tan and my interior is black. I guess I'll just keep looking and hopefully I will eventually find one. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-13-19, 05:01 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wonder if you could take the worn areas out and splice in new carpet like they do on house carpeting, maybe an upholstery shop would help if you removed the carpeting.