RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tensioner Pulley Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 05:03 PM
Dresskell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner Pulley Noise

Hello all!

TLDR;
Will this fit as a replacement tensioner pulley?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/89158-Dayco-...dWq4Gg&vxp=mtr

I have a 2007 RX350 that recently started squealing quite a bit. I diagnosed the noise to be coming from a pulley on the right side of the engine. I followed that up by having a mechanic take a look. He confirmed it was the Tensioner. Sounded like the bearing was starting to go. He told me a new assembly was the only way to get my hands on the pulley, and that it would cost upwards of $600 to fix. When I asked him a bit more he admitted it was not the entire assembly, rather just the pulley.
Needless to say that doesn't sit to well with me, so I took to the internet and decided to find a pulley I could replace.
Ebay seems to have quite a few, the diameter is the same as the pulley that is there currently, but I would like to see if any of you have any info on this before I pull the trigger on this part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/89158-Dayco-...dWq4Gg&vxp=mtr

Thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter!
Sincerely,
Dresskell
Old 06-30-16, 05:47 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you sure it is the pulley? A loose belt also causes squealing. I would try the easy fix first, check and tighten the belt
Old 06-30-16, 05:54 PM
Dresskell
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I had him check the tension, and he said it was on right.
I could double check before I get the pulley.
You were mentioning it being a relatively easy thing, do you have a link to a DIY, or is it pretty self explanatory once I jack the car and remove the front passenger wheel?

Anyone have a thought on the linked pulley?
I'll try the tension, but would like the thread not to go too far off track

Much appreciate the advice on the tension!
Old 06-30-16, 06:09 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you wanna make sure it's that specific pulley, get some WD40 ready. spray the culprit pulley, start the car. if it stops squeaking then you have found the culprit.

Yes, changing a pulley is straight foward, but generally you just don't change 1 at a time. Also, does the belt have plenty of meat on it? Might wanna change the belt if it's on it's way out, just do it all at once.

You take the belt off, and then swap out whatever pulleys you want to by loosening the bolt on the front of the pulley. snug it up with the torque wrench to spec. done.

if you dig around youtube, you can probably find a vid for replacing the tensioner pulley, toyota harrier or toyota highlander, or sienna, all have the same engine.

apparently there are two belts on the lexus... power steering and serpentine:

Last edited by numbafree; 06-30-16 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 03:07 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That video is for a timing belt. The RX350 has a chain and only a single serpentine belt at the front.
Old 07-10-16, 05:08 PM
Dresskell
Driver School Candidate

Ok... update for those wanting to know.

I ordered the part I linked, which was a DAYCO 89158 Idler/Tensioner Pulley.
The installation is pretty straight foward; pull off the passenger tire, remove a small plastic trim piece using a 10mm socket, then you have access to all the pulleys. The idler pulley is staring you in the face, while the tensioner pulley is slightly elevated to the right, towards the front of the car.

This part, the DAYCO 89158 is a perfect replacement for the 2nd Gen Lexus RX350 Idler pulley, however, it is NOT a perfect replacement for the Tensioner pulley. Depending on which pulley is the problem, for me it turned out it was the Idler pulley, so yeyh me, you would need to use some M10 spacers in order to make the Dayco 89158 fit for the tensioner pulley.

Disclaimer:
This would be a modification to a part that is not sold as a tensioner pulley. I am not responsible for you messing up your serpentine belt etc etc. because you decided to follow my advice.
Now, that being said. I managed to get this pulley to fit just fine by using 4 M10 spacers on the front side. I kept the existing dust jacket, even though the instructions tell me not to bother, in addition I used 4 M10 spacers to make the bolt sit snugly.
I then found out that the tensioner pulley was not my problem, but none the less I did manage to make this pulley work as a tensioner.

All in all, the changing of pulleys and serpentine belt for the 2nd gen RX 350 is really easy, and I will gladly answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for the assistance!
Erlend
Old 08-30-16, 02:24 PM
nikolai00
Driver School Candidate

I'm trying to chase down a belt/pulley noise on my 2007 when it heats up after driving for about 20-25 minutes....I ended up replacing the 2 idler pulleys (the lower one and the second identical up by the alternator pulley) with the part you mention here (same part, just a Gates one purchased from NAPA) and I actually found a direct replacement for the tensioner pulley on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251691362966?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
However after the 2 idler pulleys, tensioner pulley, and new belt, I still am having the squeaking noise - I'll search a bit and probably post another thread on the issue...

Anyway, have you been having luck with yours?