RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Loving the old RX330 beater car

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 12:38 PM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loving the old RX330 beater car

I thought I'd just check in, you guys were helpful when I purchased my RX330 a few months back.

I thought I'd follow up with some issues I had:

I had done a transmission flush (via the cooler) and everything went well.
After replacing it, the transmission had a few strange shifts and clunks. I was really paranoid about it. Someone had suggested unplugging the battery, and resetting everything. Low and behold it's been perfect since (about 2,000 miles or so now added to the car).

We bought the car as a "cash" beater to get by for a year or two until we save for something newer. My wife was expecting a bondo-mobile, she absoultely loves it and our 2013 Pathfinder Platinum just sits in the driveway now until the lease is up in a few weeks (she actually prefers a 2004 RX330 w/ 130k miles over the new Pathfinder with 35,000 miles). She also loves that one can really tell it's that old of a car - her co workers keep saying "ooh... you bought a new Lexus??!?!?!".

I did have to put a new brake cable on it, the old one was sticking. I still need to tackle the spark plugs, I am procrastinating. Everything is running fine and it looks like a big job that I'm not looking forward to. Will probably wait until the fall when it's a bit cooler outside.

The radiator, transmission cooler, both front headlights, grill, and bumper were all recently replaced by previous owner after they hit a deer.

The car had new tires, unfortunately they were not balanced. I thought the car was super smooth, but my mechanic noted it seemed bad and rebalanced. WOW!!! It's crazy how smooth it is now!

I do have the 'damp' boot from the rack and pinion. I've put 2k miles on the car, the power steering fluid level hasn't budged, havn't seen a single drop on the driveway. Mechanic was inclined to believe the power steering reservoir has never been opened in a LONG time (based on how dirty the cap was) and it was already at the fill line. He suggested I let it go and just keep an eye on the fluid for now and revisit it it actually starts leaking.

I managed to break all the clips that hold the covers on inside the engine compartment. I can't seem to determine exactly which ones to get. I believe they are NOT the same as the clips that hold the bottom engine covers on?

There is a little play in the seat that's annoying, but nothing crazy. The A/C compressor has a rather loud rattling when the AC comes on - but AC blows ice cold. It's intermittent. I'm guessing the AC compressor is on the way out?

We don't plan to keep the car any longer than 2-years, so we can live with the little things (broken cup holder door, stuck sunglass holder compartment release.

Added the GTA Car Kit Bluetooth adapter - wow! I'm super impressed. The bluetooth streaming sounds way better than the factory streaming in either of my newer Nissan's (both leases are up in the next 60 days).

Looks like I'm picking up a 2006 IS250 AWD tomorrow to replace my Altima lease. Hopefully I have the same positive experience.
Old 06-26-16, 12:40 PM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh - I also had weird issues the rear door hatch not operating properly. Someone (i wish I could give credit) suggested it could be an issue with the battery. I thought it was crazy and scoffed at the idea, low and behold about 2 weeks after getting the car it wouldn't start.

Replaced the battery, car is perfect and rear hatch door now operates perfectly.