RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

07 RX350 AC amplifier issue?

Old 06-23-16, 06:56 AM
Parker33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 RX350 AC amplifier issue?

I have an 07 RX350 that would blow cold air for a few seconds before the the AC light would start blinking and I would get the "Check air conditioner" message on the NAV screen. I did some research and it looked like the AC amplifier was probably the culprit. I ordered a used one from Ebay and put that in, but now it doesn't even blow cold air and when I ran the AC diagnostic it flashed a code 22. I would think if the compressor motor was locked up it would not have blown cold air for a few seconds with the old amplifier. Anyone had anything like this? Any ideas?

I should note that I filled up the freon only to encounter the original AC amplifier issue so I know its full on freon.

Thanks
Old 06-24-16, 10:26 AM
Parker33
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if this matters or not but when I replaced the AC amplifier, I was able to remove it without unplugging the ECU or anything else, just disconnected amplifier, removed it, put the new one in, and plugged it back in.

Hope I don't have to take it to the dealership to get this straightened out.
Old 06-24-16, 11:29 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker33
I don't know if this matters or not but when I replaced the AC amplifier, I was able to remove it without unplugging the ECU or anything else, just disconnected amplifier, removed it, put the new one in, and plugged it back in.

Hope I don't have to take it to the dealership to get this straightened out.
That is correct, what you had to do in order to replace the amplifier is what I did in mine. There is no need to disconnect the ECU.

I know this does not make sense but check the level of freon again. The reason for this is in case you have a leak in the system, depending on how big the leak really is freon can be gone in one day.

Another thing to try is plug in the old AC amplifier to see if you can get the AC to work again, Intermittently - the way it was.

And yes the issue you are describing is caused by a bad AC amplifier, I had the same issue and it was corrected by an AC amplifier off Ebay.
Old 06-24-16, 11:48 AM
Parker33
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robbyk
That is correct, what you had to do in order to replace the amplifier is what I did in mine. There is no need to disconnect the ECU.

I know this does not make sense but check the level of freon again. The reason for this is in case you have a leak in the system, depending on how big the leak really is freon can be gone in one day.

Another thing to try is plug in the old AC amplifier to see if you can get the AC to work again, Intermittently - the way it was.

And yes the issue you are describing is caused by a bad AC amplifier, I had the same issue and it was corrected by an AC amplifier off Ebay.
Ok Thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty sure I don't have a leak in the AC system because we sucked the old freon out before we added new freon and checked the gauge to make sure pressure we being kept, and it was. I suppose it's possible that the AC amplifier I bought is bad as well. I'll plug the old one back in and see if I still get a few seconds of cold air when I turn the AC on.
Old 06-24-16, 03:56 PM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker33
Ok Thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty sure I don't have a leak in the AC system because we sucked the old freon out before we added new freon and checked the gauge to make sure pressure we being kept, and it was. I suppose it's possible that the AC amplifier I bought is bad as well. I'll plug the old one back in and see if I still get a few seconds of cold air when I turn the AC on.
I know it is a pain in the ....ss , these are the little things that you have to go thru in order to save big bucks. If I am not mistaken I also had to replace the AC relay. This relay is located in the Engine bay - passenger side. The cost of the part is like $10 - $15, bought it at Autozone.

If by installing the old AC amplifier you get your AC to work the way it used to, then you may have gotten a bad amplifier from Ebay. Also make sure it is the same identical part number to the one you have.

Let us know..
Old 06-27-16, 11:27 AM
Parker33
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robbyk
I know it is a pain in the ....ss , these are the little things that you have to go thru in order to save big bucks. If I am not mistaken I also had to replace the AC relay. This relay is located in the Engine bay - passenger side. The cost of the part is like $10 - $15, bought it at Autozone.

If by installing the old AC amplifier you get your AC to work the way it used to, then you may have gotten a bad amplifier from Ebay. Also make sure it is the same identical part number to the one you have.

Let us know..
Hi RobbyK, I'm going to try to get this changed back out today and see if it makes a difference. I'll report back what I find this evening.

Thanks
Old 06-28-16, 05:58 AM
Parker33
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I changed the AC Amplifier back to the old one and I got the same results. No cold air, but I can hear the fans working harder when I initially kick the AC on. After a short time, the fans idle slowly or shut off completely and the AC light starts to blink. Should I go ahead and change out the AC relay first before doing anything else?
Old 07-19-16, 06:38 PM
Parker33
Driver School Candidate

Does the 07 rx350 have an A/C relay? I found the relay box but didn't see anything related to or mentioning the A/C. When I went to AutoZone, they couldn't find an A/C relay for my 350.