RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Vibration at higher speed. Bad Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 10:23 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Update - No DRIVE!! Vibration at higher speed. Bad Wheel Bearing?

I've been feeling more and more, a vibration in the RX400 AWD. Just to be certain, I had the tires rotated and balanced....still there. My conclusion is a wheel bearing.

What I notice, from 60 up to 80 MPH (speed limit in WY & MT), a slight vibration in the car. I can't pinpoint if it's front or rear, but there is certainly one occurring.

So, is there anything else that could contribute to this or is it usually a wheel bearing going bad? I just drove 1200 miles over the holiday and didn't notice much of a change. Still vibration. Not so strong that my wife has noticed, but enough that I'm feeling it.

I assume it's just a complete assembly and can be changed out relatively easily. I've done my 4wd suburban so I'm guessing similar in work.

Ideas how to test which assembly is going bad? Front/Back....Left/Right?

Thanks!

Last edited by SkiMe; 10-24-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-31-16, 10:41 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, not sure about our RXs, but on Hondas you can get a high speed vibration from CV joints going bad. Normally it is the inner joint going dry, as the outer will chatter during turns when it is failing.
Old 05-31-16, 11:05 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a hum? Does the steering wheel vibrate?
Old 05-31-16, 11:55 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eliaquim
Is there a hum? Does the steering wheel vibrate?

Yes, definitely a small vibration on the steering wheel.
Old 05-31-16, 07:06 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When wheel bearings go bad, they make a whirling or growling noise that gets louder with as you pick up speed. I didn't notice any vibration. Once I replaced both the rears, then the car drove quiet. It is recommended to relace both sides at the same time. My front right bearing is starting to make a slight noise but nothing campared to how loud the rears where.
Old 06-03-16, 12:36 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

wheel bearing will vibrate and it'll sound like you are inside a helicopter....
The following users liked this post:
dmitryrezn (03-25-19)
Old 06-07-16, 03:02 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

I just drove it again this weekend and I can feel the vibration under my seat too. I was going around 45 MPH. Any way to tell which side that's bad or should I bring it into the dealer and get their analysis? I'm hoping to do the actual work but it would help to get it diagnosed correctly.

I have replaced good parts before.......assuming that was the issue.
Old 06-07-16, 06:40 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

I see in your profile you are in Colorado; if you are near Denver, there is a very good independent that is located in Centennial - ToyCarCare.

Do you hear a loud growling noise that gets louder as you speed up? When we had to replace the wheel bearing in our RX330, there was no vibration, but you could definitely hear the growl.
Old 06-08-16, 09:11 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cdnewton
I see in your profile you are in Colorado; if you are near Denver, there is a very good independent that is located in Centennial - ToyCarCare.

Do you hear a loud growling noise that gets louder as you speed up? When we had to replace the wheel bearing in our RX330, there was no vibration, but you could definitely hear the growl.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm down in the Springs so a bit away from that shop.

I don't really notice any growl type noise, just vibration....
Old 06-08-16, 03:21 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say if its bad enough to have a vibration you would here it growling at any speed .We have replaced many wheel bearings and they would be very noisy but no real vibration . I would look at maybe a bad tire .
Old 06-08-16, 03:33 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire out of round? These will balance, but will vibrate. Sometimes remounting will fix.
Old 06-12-16, 07:30 AM
blueman26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same vibrating issue with a 2008 RX350 without AWD. Most people probably wouldn't think too much of it, but it's driving me crazy. It feels like it's coming from the back wheels at highway speed (65+mph). No noise, which all but entirely rules out a wheel bearing. The steering wheel only slightly wiggles first thing in the morning and only for the first couple miles on the highway.

I just bought the car with 65k miles. The dealership installed new bridgestone alenza tires and all new rotors and pads, so unfortunately I don't have a before-and-after to use as comparison.

Without offering too much explanation, I had my local Lexus dealership balance and rotate all the wheels thinking that would solve the issue - it didn't change anything, even after moving the wheels that were in back to the front.

I just lifted up the back of the car and spun the wheels to see if I could notice any out of round with the tires or wheels. Both rear side wheels have a noticeable vertical wobble (maybe an 1/8th inch vertical movement as the wheel spins). I then rotated all 4 and noticed the same wobble with the wheels that had been in front. I took the car for a highway drive and nothing had changed - still smooth in front (no steering wheel shake) and still vibrating in back. One other thing i noticed was that when i notice the vertical movement in the spinning wheel, i also hear a slight dragging of either the brake pads or the shoes in the drum assembly for the e-brake.

Not sure what to do other than take it to the dealership and pay the diagnostic fee.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 06-15-16, 08:14 AM
brianmch
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the steering rack boots.

The passenger boot is ****e in my 2005 with 152Kmiles. Got the parts to replace it from Fleabay, Detroit Axle. Rack with attached inner and boot, outer, and new lower control arms with some other pieces was $300 +/-.

I'm getting bids for labor as the shops online bid service said the lower arm's are a 15 hour job? Mechanic thinks that labor number is nuts.

I'm also ordering new complete struts to have them done when it's all apart.
Old 06-20-16, 10:50 AM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blueman26
The steering wheel only slightly wiggles first thing in the morning and only for the first couple miles on the highway.
The dealership installed new bridgestone alenza tires and all new rotors and pads, so unfortunately I don't have a before-and-after to use as comparison.
The bridgestone alenzas aren't the best tires out there, and they do flat spot. Nothing to worry about, just an annoyance
Old 06-20-16, 11:20 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I have alenzas and thye are great tires, very quiet as well. I had a slight vibration though and it came down to both rear wheel bearings being bad. The right side had a lot of play but quiet, and the left side had no play, but was grinding. Might be your cause, i replaced both with Timken hubs from Rock auto and the noise and vibration is gone. Noise was mainly when I was turning right.

Quick Reply: Vibration at higher speed. Bad Wheel Bearing?