RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Vibration at higher speed. Bad Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 03:38 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiMe
That's what I'm gathering....all of about a 10 block test drive.

Apparently no one really re-builds these transmissions so the only option is buying a used one. Called another shop and he is $3000 with 85k tranny and aftermarket axle shaft. Obviously I'm a bit leery on the aftermarket shaft now.
i am wondering if there is recourse w Empire? Did you compare length of old shaft to new one?
Old 10-25-16, 04:18 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
i am wondering if there is recourse w Empire? Did you compare length of old shaft to new one?
One of the shops posed the same question. Thought I should at least talk to Empire and see what they say. I spoke with Toyota dealer again and his price actually included both OEM axles replaced along with tranny so that does make it a bit better.

I said I absolutely want both sets of axles back so I can compare. I want to know why it happened.
Old 10-25-16, 04:51 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

One of the shops posed the same question. Thought I should at least talk to Empire and see what they say. I spoke with Toyota dealer again and his price actually included both OEM axles replaced along with tranny so that does make it a bit better.

I said I absolutely want both sets of axles back so I can compare. I want to know why it happened.
do you have pics after you got car back home where fluid drained out?
Old 10-25-16, 05:12 PM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, so sorry Ski. I'd be concerned that the loss of fluid was the problem though. You didn't see a ton of fluid on the ground so where did it go? I'm more inclined to think that the banging in of the axle shaft to get it out/back in may have boogered it up, though I barely know come-here from sic-em.
Old 10-26-16, 06:52 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alchemist
do you have pics after you got car back home where fluid drained out?
I couldn't drive it home and had to leave it on the side of the road. Tow truck came and took it away to the Toyota dealer. Although it rained last night, I still don't see signs of oil on the roadway where it happened, so I just don't know. No big oil spots anywhere from what I can see.

I did speak with the service rep and the mechanic in person. They are also both scratching their heads a bit. One things for certain, metal in tranny and clutch pack material. This is the sign of a bad tranny, regardless of the cause. They will order the tranny and axle shafts this week and probably be done next Wednesday.

I must say, my wife has been tremendously supportive and is completely fine with it. She knows I was just trying to help and save the family money. Although, in the back of my mind I feel like all the years of saving money for doing the work myself on K5 Blazer, 2500 Suburban and the Lexus, just got wiped out in one repair. Still sad but am trying to move on. The hardest part is the vehicle is at 168k miles and we were thinking about selling and getting a lower mileage vehicle. I was just trying to get a few items taken care of to help out the new owner (if we sold). I don't know what to think now. Still need tires on top of all this.
Old 10-26-16, 06:57 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TheGoodGuy
Wow, so sorry Ski. I'd be concerned that the loss of fluid was the problem though. You didn't see a ton of fluid on the ground so where did it go? I'm more inclined to think that the banging in of the axle shaft to get it out/back in may have boogered it up, though I barely know come-here from sic-em.
All the force is going outward so logic would tell me not a lot of force going the other way on the splines. Going back in, just gentle taps.....nothing like the force needed to remove them. Install was pretty easy.

My BIGGEST lesson.........be sure to compare old shaft dimensions with new ones!! I might of been able to avoid this if I were to compare prior to install. Lesson learned.
Old 10-26-16, 07:08 AM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't drive it home and had to leave it on the side of the road. Tow truck came and took it away to the Toyota dealer. Although it rained last night, I still don't see signs of oil on the roadway where it happened, so I just don't know. No big oil spots anywhere from what I can see.

I did speak with the service rep and the mechanic in person. They are also both scratching their heads a bit. One things for certain, metal in tranny and clutch pack material. This is the sign of a bad tranny, regardless of the cause. They will order the tranny and axle shafts this week and probably be done next Wednesday.

I must say, my wife has been tremendously supportive and is completely fine with it. She knows I was just trying to help and save the family money. Although, in the back of my mind I feel like all the years of saving money for doing the work myself on K5 Blazer, 2500 Suburban and the Lexus, just got wiped out in one repair. Still sad but am trying to move on. The hardest part is the vehicle is at 168k miles and we were thinking about selling and getting a lower mileage vehicle. I was just trying to get a few items taken care of to help out the new owner (if we sold). I don't know what to think now. Still need tires on top of all this.

After this little repair job you've just about got a new car again. Maybe you can keep it? They're amazingly tough engines with many going for 400k miles with regular maintenance.

On a separate note, you have an amazing wife! Definitely won the lottery there, brother!
Old 10-26-16, 07:30 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TheGoodGuy
After this little repair job you've just about got a new car again. Maybe you can keep it? They're amazingly tough engines with many going for 400k miles with regular maintenance.

On a separate note, you have an amazing wife! Definitely won the lottery there, brother!
Yea, she's great!

My only concern.....hybrid batteries, hybrid components going bad, timing belt in 30k, shocks/struts at some point. If it were a gasser (RX350), I might be a bit more comfortable, but the hybrid stuff does have me a little concerned.
Old 11-21-16, 06:38 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Well a bit of good news. Vehicle is now repaired (we'll pick up later this morning), and the tranny is actually OK. All it needed was new axleshafts (OEM that went in). So cost is much less now and a relief!

I also went in and the service advisor originally assigned was less than helpful, in a big way. Escalated to his manager and they ultimately switched advisors for me. New guy called me up and said tranny was fine and all they needed to do was flush it out. He said the axleshafts put in (Empire), were defective and caused the problem. With a tranny flush and new shafts, it's all fixed! $1700 vs $4000.....much better!

Now I question what the original service writer said "it blew all the tranny fluid out and we found metal shavings and clutch material in the fluid." I don't think he really looked very closely and just decided that must of been the problem. How can a tranny be fine with clutch material found in fluid?!? I question this and will talk with the manager on this statement.

This makes more sense to me too. I cannot see any signs of tranny fluid blowing out. Nothing under the vehicle (which should of been a huge mess), nor any signs on the pavement where it happened, where I parked it afterwards, nor anywhere along the road going to place it quit.

Anyways, they are providing back the old OEM shafts as well as the Empire ones so I can compare. Hopefully I can tell when I compare.
Old 11-22-16, 07:16 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Got the shafts back and compared. It's quite obvious that the shafts sent to me were incorrect/defective/too short. They have all the elements as the old ones but the length going from the carrier bearing to the transmission is the incorrect length. It looks like I had about 1/2" of engagement in the spleens. That's what popped out I'm sure and then stripped just a little bit of the tail end of shaft. They flushed the tranny out real well and installed OEM axleshafts. Although my father-in-law has been the only one that's driven it, he said it's great and smooth as ever.

Now, try and get my money back from the Amazon vendors..... (two different ones)

Is the tranny drain plug magnetized??
Attached Thumbnails Vibration at higher speed.  Bad Wheel Bearing?-img_20161121_171018210.jpg   Vibration at higher speed.  Bad Wheel Bearing?-img_20161121_170952048.jpg   Vibration at higher speed.  Bad Wheel Bearing?-img_20161121_171004780.jpg  
Old 01-18-17, 02:08 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Great news update.

Spoke with Empire and they said I needed to contact the vendor to submit any claim. Then the vendor would submit the claim on my behalf. Seemed like one more party involved unnecessarily but I went ahead and spoke with vendor.

Gave them all the details, a write up, pictures and my Toyota invoice.

I must say, the vendor was super easy to work with and by no means, pushed back. They followed up a few times to be sure they had everything and then submitted to Empire. He was not hopeful for the entire $1700+ claim and was probably expecting Empire to just pay the labor reimbursement. Maybe $400-$500. I agreed but said the shaft was the reason for the whole cost to me and at the end of the day, I'm still out that money. Vendor said he will do everything he can and hope for the best.

Well, just after Christmas I get a call.....kinda forgot about the claim in the midst of Christmas and took me a few minutes to get up to speed. Vendor said he really can't believe it and has never see this, but Empire had determined that the entire amount was valid and the vendor had already been credited for $1700 to their account!! So sweet!

Vendor was just calling to get my address so he could send me a check! What an awesome Christmas present!!

So I guess Empire did determine their shaft was incorrect and was the problem. I am delighted and surprised.....and happy. Thanks Empire for stepping up!

And even more kudos to the vendor "Lake County Parts Warehouse".....super nice, small company, family business! Definitely need to support these guys! So if you are buying off of Amazon and see this vendor as a choice, use them with confidence!
Old 01-18-17, 02:35 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good for you ! there are still company's out there that take responsibly for mistakes . Who would of thought .
Old 07-12-17, 11:04 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Landed on this post while doing some research for CL Members experiences & symptoms for faulty "wheel bearings".
Never expected this, considering all the effort SkieMe put into this DIY project, a well deserved "feel good ending" was great to read.
All of a sudden my wheel bearing feels much better.