RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Vibration at higher speed. Bad Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-16, 06:14 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Last shot was the new passenger side bearing bolt. It was new from Toyota and had this rubber piece at the end of it.

New OEM snap ring and bolt, $5 at Toyota, $15 at Lexus. Amazing markup.

Also Toyota new OEM shafts, $600 each, Lexus, $800 each!!!
Old 10-23-16, 06:52 PM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job Ski! I know how it is with firewood. Back breaking work then you have to come home and get all greasy with the Lexus. Wood chips and oil, fun stuff!
Old 10-24-16, 05:55 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

FAIL.......

Got it all put back together, topped off the tranny with Toyota WS fluid and went for a test drive. Nice and slow, running good and no sounds. Drive down a few more blocks slowly accelerating, all good. Give it more juice, nice and solid and drives good. So after about 10 blocks decide to turn around and head home. Did a u turn and gave it some more gas, about 1/2 throttle and then I hear a "pop" and a wizzing sound. ON main road so do another quick u turn and was able to coast to a side street. Put it in park, and the car keeps moving forward.

Put it in drive and touch the gas, some wizzing sound again. So frustrating!!

So I walk home and get the Blazer, jack and tools. Pop the wheels off both sides, turn and everything looks fine and rotates OK. Check other side, that also spins fine.

At one point only one wheel spun and the other did not.....then I was able to get both to spin once I moved it back and forth.

Nothing looks obviously broken so I'm really at a loss right now. So bummed and wife is leaving town tomorrow for a week. I'm going to have to try and tow it back to our house now. Can I even do this?? In neutral??

I need help!!
Old 10-24-16, 06:46 PM
TheGoodGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you remember to put the clips back on the half shafts? Do they need to be turned a particular direction when you clip them back on? Sounds like you need to pull them back out and take a look (sadly). See if you can spot the damage. Maybe wife can help you tow home or you can maybe use AAA?
Old 10-24-16, 07:33 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry for not responding earlier, I have done everything you did on my car. I never had the problem on the driver side you did. In terms of the last issue....all I can think of is the retainer clips did you reinstall those? Or the driver side could be bad allowing for the axle to pull out of the housing.

Last edited by alchemist; 10-24-16 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 07:39 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Sorry I just saw you said the car moves forward after in park. If the axle is out of tje housing it could cause this. Or... This could be a symptom of broken parking pawl...

http://myautomatictransmission.com/t...rking-pawl.htm

Last edited by alchemist; 10-25-16 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 05:47 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

I looked and the snap ring is still there. I bought a new snap ring and carrier bearing bolt from Toyota just to be safe.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the axle shaft on passenger side is not all the way in. I drove the shaft in until the carrier bearing was all the way into the motor mount housing. Just far enough so I could get the snap ring in. What I noticed is that the dust cap that goes into the differential was still sticking out a bit. I figured that all I had to do is tap that dust cover flush with differential and that ensured a full protection of axle shaft seal. Maybe the shaft had to be driven in more even though the carrier bearing was already seated?!?

I don' know.

If it's an open differential, and only one wheel spins, then one of them is not engaged.
Old 10-25-16, 05:54 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by SkiMe
I looked and the snap ring is still there. I bought a new snap ring and carrier bearing bolt from Toyota just to be safe.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the axle shaft on passenger side is not all the way in. I drove the shaft in until the carrier bearing was all the way into the motor mount housing. Just far enough so I could get the snap ring in. What I noticed is that the dust cap that goes into the differential was still sticking out a bit. I figured that all I had to do is tap that dust cover flush with differential and that ensured a full protection of axle shaft seal. Maybe the shaft had to be driven in more even though the carrier bearing was already seated?!?

I don' know.

If it's an open differential, and only one wheel spins, then one of them is not engaged.
correct. I had most of my issues on the passenger side. I would make sure it is fully in the housing before fixating it into the carrier. You are correct it can be misleading w the cover how far it needs to go in. With the passenger side being longer and witj tje joint there is probably more play that can make you think its farther in than it atually is
Old 10-25-16, 06:06 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

They look to be pretty close in width so I don't know....
Attached Thumbnails Vibration at higher speed.  Bad Wheel Bearing?-img_20161025_061736911.jpg   Vibration at higher speed.  Bad Wheel Bearing?-img_20161020_195850210.jpg  
Old 10-25-16, 06:09 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Dust cover....
Attached Thumbnails Vibration at higher speed.  Bad Wheel Bearing?-img_20161023_152553295.jpg  
Old 10-25-16, 06:12 AM
alchemist
Instructor

They look to be pretty close in width so I don't know....
im saying the length of half shafts. The passenger side should be a foot longer than driver side. At least for FWD....
Old 10-25-16, 06:29 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

passenger side
Attached Thumbnails Vibration at higher speed.  Bad Wheel Bearing?-img_20161020_195840331.jpg  
Old 10-25-16, 10:31 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Terrible news. Transmission is gone. Metal shavings and clutch material found in fluid.

The cost for a used (65k) tranny and OEM axleshaft is $4200. I am devastated.

He doesn't know if the passenger side shaft is too short but he figured it might be a little....not a lot though. Just enough that it made the fluid puke out.
Old 10-25-16, 02:31 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Terrible news. Transmission is gone. Metal shavings and clutch material found in fluid.

The cost for a used (65k) tranny and OEM axleshaft is $4200. I am devastated.

He doesn't know if the passenger side shaft is too short but he figured it might be a little....not a lot though. Just enough that it made the fluid puke out.
I am really sorry to hear this. so you are saying that as a result of the passenger shaft being a tad too short, fluid leaked oit causing the tranny to fail?
Old 10-25-16, 02:42 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alchemist
I am really sorry to hear this. so you are saying that as a result of the passenger shaft being a tad too short, fluid leaked oit causing the tranny to fail?
That's what I'm gathering....all of about a 10 block test drive.

Apparently no one really re-builds these transmissions so the only option is buying a used one. Called another shop and he is $3000 with 85k tranny and aftermarket axle shaft. Obviously I'm a bit leery on the aftermarket shaft now.

Quick Reply: Vibration at higher speed. Bad Wheel Bearing?