RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rack and Pinion Opinion Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 10:13 AM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rack and Pinion Opinion Poll

I recently purchased a 2004, and have the leaking rack and pinion. I see there are many threads here regarding having them replaced.

I took the car to Toyota and they said it needed to be replaced (for $2k). My independent mechanic said it would run around $1000 to replace. But he also said it seemed like a very minor leak and I could probably go for awhile without concern and to keep an eye on it. He said if it starts dripping on the ground, then get it done. As of now, despite the 'wet' boot the level is full, no signs of leaking on the ground.

I have two questions, 1) I saw very few posts referring to TSB L-SB-0016-14 as a 'repair' for the rack and pinion. Toyota didn't mention a repair option, and I didn't ask my independent as I just learned about it. Is this a fix that doesn't apply to many vehicles?

2) For those with leaks, what type of time frame did you experience from wet-boot to dripping / lost of power steering? I plan on getting it fixed, but at a $1000 it would be much easier if I could wait a few months. (which my mechanic believes would be perfectly OK).

Thanks!
Old 04-05-16, 03:05 PM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've learned the answer to question number 1 and I'll share so it's here.

After posting this I called the Lexus dealer that the previous owner had used for all maintenance. The tech I got a hold of explained that while the TSB does apply, and can be used to fix the leaking rack they nearly always just replace it. Especially on older vehicles with over 100k.

He said they basically only use the TSB procedure when it's a newer car under warranty. Basically, if Lexus warranty is paying for labor. Otherwise, the labor costs on top of the parts (new boot, new seal) runs close enough to the full replacement that it's not worth the 'repair' option.

It seems to make sense, and would jive with the other posts here (the few references I saw to TSB repairs were newer vehicles with relatively low miles).
Old 04-19-16, 02:44 PM
LexiLexor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvah1980

two questions,
1) I saw very few posts referring to TSB L-SB-0016-14 as a 'repair' for the rack and pinion. Toyota didn't mention a repair option, and I didn't ask my independent as I just learned about it. Is this a fix that doesn't apply to many vehicles?

2) For those with leaks, what type of time frame did you experience from wet-boot to dripping / lost of power steering? I plan on getting it fixed, but at a $1000 it would be much easier if I could wait a few months. (which my mechanic believes would be perfectly OK).
I have an 05 RX 330 purchased used from dealer. Within a few months we noticed shaking in the steering, it went to horrible shaking fast, no more than a week. I don't know if boot was wet, don't remember a stain on the driveway. Vehicle was getting 25 miles per day 5 days a week. Cost us $2500 at the dealer but they felt so bad about the failure so soon after purchase from them (it was certified by their tech before sale) they compensated us on future work. I wouldn't wait very long to replace it (don't have it repaired)

Last edited by LexiLexor; 04-19-16 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 04-19-16, 06:04 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jvah1980
I recently purchased a 2004, and have the leaking rack and pinion. I see there are many threads here regarding having them replaced.

I took the car to Toyota and they said it needed to be replaced (for $2k). My independent mechanic said it would run around $1000 to replace. But he also said it seemed like a very minor leak and I could probably go for awhile without concern and to keep an eye on it. He said if it starts dripping on the ground, then get it done. As of now, despite the 'wet' boot the level is full, no signs of leaking on the ground.

I have two questions, 1) I saw very few posts referring to TSB L-SB-0016-14 as a 'repair' for the rack and pinion. Toyota didn't mention a repair option, and I didn't ask my independent as I just learned about it. Is this a fix that doesn't apply to many vehicles?

Thanks!
210K on our 2004 RX330. Changed out the power steering fluid with Valvoline Maxlife ATF and boot doesn't appear to be nearly as oily as before. Keep an eye on it and as your mechanic said, if you see drops on the ground, it is time to get it fixed.