RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Owner for 2004 RX330 - needing tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 02:08 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The Bridgestone Ecopia 422 on my RX400h wore on the edges on the front....I missed 1 rotation and have 37K miles. Costco would not touch them, said basically I am done, no warranty, and no more service with the two front tires. The rears are fine. I just replaced the shocks, Lower control Arms, and Lower ball joints, will get an alignment tomorrow and see whats up. Funny thing is the front tires wore perfectly even acroos the middle tread to the sidewalls, but sidewalls are worn down. Tire pressure has been maintained at 30PSI. I wonder if they need more pressure under the hard driving that my wife and I do. Any thoughts.
Old 09-11-16, 03:01 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had bad luck with Bridgestone on 2 vehicles. Good luck with Michelin and Goodyear.
Old 09-12-16, 06:17 PM
BGinLA
Rookie

Costco has Bridgestone® DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS 235/55R18 100V for $662 with 80K mile warranty after $70 rebate.

have these on for the last 10k, durability is great. Grip is good in SoCal. Little on the noisier side but manageable.
Old 09-13-16, 06:26 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BGinLA
Costco has Bridgestone® DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS 235/55R18 100V for $662 with 80K mile warranty after $70 rebate.

have these on for the last 10k, durability is great. Grip is good in SoCal. Little on the noisier side but manageable.
I have had such bad luck with Costco Tire centers. They are always so busy that they cant get my rotations in on timely manner, and the attitude is if anything is off, they wont honor the warranty or even the tire rotation. I know this goes on everywhere, because of lawsuits, but at least show some respect. America's Tire has treated me so much better. I am now stuck with two good, and two worn Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires that Costco wont rotate, warrant, or anything other than replace at full cost. I have been burned by Costco with my AWD Lexus (RX300 and RX400h) three times. I am done with them. I am looking at the Continental tires and wonder how strong a sideway they have. Seems our RX400hs are very heavy up front and the recommended tire pressure of 30lbs is not enough when combined with a tire like Ecopia. Should have ran 35lbs and see if that would have helped on the wear on the edges.
Old 09-13-16, 09:28 AM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I have had such bad luck with Costco Tire centers. They are always so busy that they cant get my rotations in on timely manner, and the attitude is if anything is off, they wont honor the warranty or even the tire rotation. I know this goes on everywhere, because of lawsuits, but at least show some respect. America's Tire has treated me so much better. I am now stuck with two good, and two worn Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires that Costco wont rotate, warrant, or anything other than replace at full cost. I have been burned by Costco with my AWD Lexus (RX300 and RX400h) three times. I am done with them. I am looking at the Continental tires and wonder how strong a sideway they have. Seems our RX400hs are very heavy up front and the recommended tire pressure of 30lbs is not enough when combined with a tire like Ecopia. Should have ran 35lbs and see if that would have helped on the wear on the edges.
Yeah, costco prices are so good that they have become too busy these days. I usually try to go to their tire center on weekdays when they are less busy and so little faster/better service
Old 09-13-16, 06:58 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

its a known defect on the ecopias to wear prematurely on the edges. Happened to me too. The wheelworks manager admitted he see this all the time at his store. Lighter tires means less rubber and more wear. He recommended the heavier duellers which I ended up getting.
Old 09-14-16, 06:37 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LSBen
its a known defect on the ecopias to wear prematurely on the edges. Happened to me too. The wheelworks manager admitted he see this all the time at his store. Lighter tires means less rubber and more wear. He recommended the heavier duellers which I ended up getting.
How have those tires worked for you....I see new tires before rain season, (if we get any) I was looking at Pirelli Scorpion Verde All seasons, Continental True contact, and Michelin Defender LTX M/s
Old 09-14-16, 08:00 AM
dmanwi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does these recommendations hold true for the 2007 RX350 as well? I need to replace mine before winter. Any suggestions for southern Wisconsin?
Old 09-14-16, 12:15 PM
Nozzleman
Driver School Candidate

For Northern IN and Southern MI winters I chose the Michelin Premier LTX last year and have not regretted it. The factory Khumos were atrocious in the snow. The Premiers are nearly as good as the LTX M/S on my other SUV. I'd do it all over again if I had to.
Old 09-14-16, 10:09 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How have those tires worked for you....I see new tires before rain season, (if we get any) I was looking at Pirelli Scorpion Verde All seasons, Continental True contact, and Michelin Defender LTX M/s
The Alenza Plus Dueler is a 34 lb tire. The Ecopias are are 27 lb tire. So the car will feel slower because it's spinning a heavier tire. The tread pattern is more agressive than the Ecopias so it does not feel as smooth or as quiet. The Ecopias feels like a car tire. The Alenzas plus feels like a truck tire. It's a different tire with different characteristics. For what it's designed to do, I'm pleased with it. I know I will get at least 60k miles out of these tires vs the 30k miles I got from the Ecopias. All the major tire chains price match, so I wouldn't go to Costco unless you like long lines and not so good customer service.

Last edited by LSBen; 09-14-16 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 06:12 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

The Alenza Plus Dueler is a 34 lb tire. The Ecopias are are 27 lb tire. So the car will feel slower because it's spinning a heavier tire. The tread pattern is more agressive than the Ecopias so it does not feel as smooth or as quiet. The Ecopias feels like a car tire. The Alenzas plus feels like a truck tire. It's a different tire with different characteristics. For what it's designed to do, I'm pleased with it. I know I will get at least 60k miles out of these tires vs the 30k miles I got from the Ecopias. All the major tire chains price match, so I wouldn't go to Costco unless you like long lines and not so good customer service.
Agree totally...I am also looking heavily at the Michelin LTX Defender M/S. Rated well just about everywhere. I have these same tires on my F150 TRuck...So it is a toss between Pirelli Scorpian, Continental puretrack, and Michelin
Old 09-22-16, 12:59 PM
Sevenfold
Driver School Candidate

I've ran the Yokohama Avid Envigor on my RX330 with great success!
Old 10-29-16, 05:39 PM
LiserAnn
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the comparison...I had Dueler H/L 422 Ecopias on my 2008 RX350 for the past 3 years and got 52K out of them. I loved those tires - my car rode great and the noise level was at my satisfaction. Today I went to replace them with the same, however the sales guy thought I had Alenza Plus' and replaced them with those. I only drove a short distance but the drive felt stiffer and more bumpy. It did feel like a truck ride. Not sure if that's my imagination (because of the reviews I've read on these boards) or not. I do have 30 days to return them. I'm not opposed to a different tire, but I'm pretty sure I'll be unhappy if the drive feels majorly different. Time will tell!!
Old 10-30-16, 08:12 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Ok just put Micheline Defender LTX on RX400h. They are great, mileage may have dropped about .5 per mile, but hey lets see how they roll. Put on 235/55/18.
Old 10-30-16, 11:25 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My RX cames with 18s, and I went down to light weight 17x8s. Chose the Kumho Crugens, and no regrets. They are awesome. I have a lead foot, esp in cornering and these tires to talk to you as you reach maximum grip.

I have had Kumho brand tires on other cars I have owned and it is a solid brand.

pricing wise you cannot beat tirerack, but if you are a costco member and sticking to stock sizes, you cannot better that price with installation and rotation (I have my own pneumatic tire changer and digital balancer, so I do all my own tires, even motorcycle.)

Quick Reply: New Owner for 2004 RX330 - needing tire recommendations