RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need to cut dash speakers ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 12:35 PM
gasconguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to cut dash speakers ASAP

Hey guys - I haven't been around for awhile and I apologize for not searching but I am traveling and super busy - but the dash speakers are killing me.

I have an all after-market system, So no original equipment at all. However, the guy that did my install, to my surprise, said he was able to run the front speakers along with the dash speaker separates. However, the highs are obnoxious and painful really. I need to just cut the wires to them.

I have been in the doors and replaced those speakers once, and there are no wires there running to the dash speakers. Can I get into the A pillar and kill them? Looking for the easiest, simplest way to just cut them out of the system... any help is appreciated. Again sorry for my not searching which I am usually good about, but I simply am in a rush. Thanks again in advance. GCG
Old 03-13-16, 07:01 AM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gasconguy
Hey guys - I haven't been around for awhile and I apologize for not searching but I am traveling and super busy - but the dash speakers are killing me.

I have an all after-market system, So no original equipment at all. However, the guy that did my install, to my surprise, said he was able to run the front speakers along with the dash speaker separates. However, the highs are obnoxious and painful really. I need to just cut the wires to them.

I have been in the doors and replaced those speakers once, and there are no wires there running to the dash speakers. Can I get into the A pillar and kill them? Looking for the easiest, simplest way to just cut them out of the system... any help is appreciated. Again sorry for my not searching which I am usually good about, but I simply am in a rush. Thanks again in advance. GCG
It's been a few months since I looked at it, but I thought the 'squawkers' are connected to the stock tweeters in the A pillar. I could be wrong though. I'll dig out my schematic later today and double check.
Old 03-13-16, 10:23 AM
gasconguy
Driver

Thank you very much!
Old 03-13-16, 11:32 AM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

I can't find the diagram for the non ML system (which is what I had), but as I'm looking at the ML diagram I'm 99.99% sure this is the same for the non-ML as well:

The amp or Navigation ECU sends the signal to the tweeter in the A pillar, when then feeds the squawker in the dash. You should be able to cut the dash wires by pulling the cover off and accessing the tweeter. There's an airbag there, so pull the battery cable before hand.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-16, 05:11 AM
gasconguy
Driver

Total success, thank you uh2. After removing the A pillars, I was bummed when I couldn't see any wires feeding the dash. But then when I looked at the little tweeters, I saw the wires feeding them went to a wiring harness, and there were two reds and two blacks, so I figured I was good unplugging the harness, and sure enough all the dash speakers were connected there. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-16, 06:04 PM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gasconguy
Total success, thank you uh2. After removing the A pillars, I was bummed when I couldn't see any wires feeding the dash. But then when I looked at the little tweeters, I saw the wires feeding them went to a wiring harness, and there were two reds and two blacks, so I figured I was good unplugging the harness, and sure enough all the dash speakers were connected there. Thanks again.
Glad everything worked out for you.

I for one am enjoying the immensely upgraded sound quality. I'm only using one 12" shallow mount subwoofer in the back, but between that and the clear front stage....it's golden. I didn't even bother connecting the rear speakers up.
Old 03-30-16, 08:28 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Originally Posted by uh2
Glad everything worked out for you.

I for one am enjoying the immensely upgraded sound quality. I'm only using one 12" shallow mount subwoofer in the back, but between that and the clear front stage....it's golden. I didn't even bother connecting the rear speakers up.
If have a question. When you say shallow mount, is it an underseat sub?
I am thinking of getting an underseat sub so I dont have a sub taking up rear space but I dont know how good it will be.
Old 03-31-16, 07:25 AM
gasconguy
Driver

I'm not sure where you could put an underseat; doesn't seem to me to be enough room in the front. You use the cargo area a lot? I put a kicker isobaric 10" in mine and it doesn't take up too much space.
Old 03-31-16, 03:37 PM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by guyrat7
If have a question. When you say shallow mount, is it an underseat sub?
I am thinking of getting an underseat sub so I dont have a sub taking up rear space but I dont know how good it will be.
I used
http://www.amazon.com/12-In-Shallow-Sealed-Enclosure/dp/B00B1N0GL8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage http://www.amazon.com/12-In-Shallow-Sealed-Enclosure/dp/B00B1N0GL8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It's sitting in the cargo area. I can place things on top of it without damaging the subwoofer. The only drawback is that it's so shallow that the cone hits the floor when you start increasing the dbs. I plan on buying some dowels at Lowe's to extend the legs an inch.
Old 04-01-16, 03:37 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Originally Posted by uh2
I used http://www.amazon.com/12-In-Shallow-...rch_detailpage

It's sitting in the cargo area. I can place things on top of it without damaging the subwoofer. The only drawback is that it's so shallow that the cone hits the floor when you start increasing the dbs. I plan on buying some dowels at Lowe's to extend the legs an inch.

Gasconguy: Nope. Dont use cargo area a lot but I like to keep the sub hidden so it looks good. OCD maybe. The main reason was that I dont have to buy a second amp and there would be no clutter with wires for the sub. Same thought I had. The underseat clearance is so bad in the car. No point talking about front seats.

Uh2: wow, never seen that before. I was inclined to settle for one like this. clean and fast

http://www.ryda.com.au/alpine-pwe-v8...ered-subwoofer
Old 04-01-16, 08:28 PM
uh2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by guyrat7
Gasconguy: Nope. Dont use cargo area a lot but I like to keep the sub hidden so it looks good. OCD maybe. The main reason was that I dont have to buy a second amp and there would be no clutter with wires for the sub. Same thought I had. The underseat clearance is so bad in the car. No point talking about front seats.

Uh2: wow, never seen that before. I was inclined to settle for one like this. clean and fast

http://www.ryda.com.au/alpine-pwe-v8...ered-subwoofer
I doubt there's enough space under any of the seats. I tried to fit a small amp under the rear seat and took it out because it was getting scratched.

I know I wouldn't be happy with an 8" sub either, but that's personal taste. If you want small I would get a shallow mount 10" and put it in the back.